Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 09:28 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

since a 944 does not have odb2, the benefit of solo dl, vs the solo is the automatic integration onto video if you have a smarty cam?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:41 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,325 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzyj
since a 944 does not have odb2, the benefit of solo dl, vs the solo is the automatic integration onto video if you have a smarty cam?
With the 944, the benefits of the Solo DL/SC are not as great.

The Solo has no integration or communication with the SmartyCam.

The Solo DL does integrate through a cable, powers up the SmartyCam, turns it on and off automatically with an RPM input, supplies the GPS signal for lap timing, mapping and speed to the SmartyCam, sends the logged data it collects to the SmartyCam's mSD card and shows how much space you have left on the card. It's very well integrated.

A 944 might be better to have an MXL Pista and a an SC, an EVO 4/TG-Dash and an SC or, for more reasonable money, just an RPM Bridge/SC combination.

Without the CAN or OBD-II input, the Solo DL can't get an RPM feed, which is of great value and primary to the value of the integration of the data into the background of the video, off the older cars. The RPM Bridge, MXL Pista or EVO 4 can get that from a 944 and send it to the SmartyCam.

The benefit of the automatic integration is that people can pull the chip, stick it in the computer and have speeds, lap times, g-loadings and, with the accessory to "translate" the vehicle information (RPM Bridge, MXL Pista or EVO 4 on the old cars, Solo DL or EVO 4 on the new cars), can integrate all that info graphically onto the background of the video FOR IMMEDIATE REVIEW.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-04-2012, 10:02 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Man, that is a Windoze problem! Looks like an XP interface. If you can download and visualize the data, there's something else going on that is a conflict within the operating system when you ask the program to do something.
strangely i can still export other tests in just the same way I used to ..
just seems to be a prob with yesterdays files from my DL. From other's solo works fine too...
must be something to do with my re calibrate or dropping the Hz on some sensor readings (to clean up data a bit i.e. 20hz is enough) or something ...
but its causing problems unfortunately. Trying to think of any other changes I might have made. Math channels, maybe?

EDIT - Pete I found the bug and its AIM. I went thru all changes i made yesterday and one of them was taking more detailed notes in the comments space during dl ....
If your race notes/comments are longer than 1 line when you dl/save your drk file, it cause this export crash
Can you pass on to Roger/Aim please?

Thanks to AIM via Roger for confirming the bug was 34+ characters in the notes w. caused a crash. Will be fixed on next release.

Last edited by HiWind; 12-05-2012 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Roger/aim responded
Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at data loggers. Has anyone else been successful in getting OBD-II data from a 2010 GT3 beside orthojoe? Would really be helpful to also know what info was available.

This is a great and tremendously helpful thread!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DavidNR
Looking at data loggers. Has anyone else been successful in getting OBD-II data from a 2010 GT3 beside orthojoe? Would really be helpful to also know what info was available.

This is a great and tremendously helpful thread!!!
Since orthojoe's post, the firmware and software for the Solo DL has been updated. See attached.

I had a problem with ShakenBake's car, but it's a bad unit and it's been replaced.
Attached Images  
Old 12-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

Interesting note that Robbie told Jerry and I - the Solo uses the architecture from the EVO3 with certain things disabled. It now makes more sense why the Solo and Solo DL are so powerful!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:25 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Excellent! Thank you Peter. Your contribution to this thread is over the top!

A few more questions that many others may find helpful:

I see brake press. Is Pedal_angle the throttle?

Noticed the "Enabl..." box check is checked but dimmed on a few channels, data still transmitted to SoloDL?

Thank you! BTW I will be in touch on next season.

David
Old 12-04-2012, 10:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

David, PPS is pedal position sensor for the accel pedal before the nanny controls, angle is after the nannies! All checked parameters are logged, the shaded ones can't be unchecked or altered due to their relationship to other parameters. Hope to hear from you next year!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:02 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Peter

I believe the 2010 GT 3 is a Bosch ECU. I've had trouble making the DL work with OBD II on the 2010 GT 3. I have not tried the latest firmware though.

DaveNR, keep us posted on which Protocol works for you. Try the generic OBD protocols after you try Porsche/Bosch
Old 12-04-2012, 11:04 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the quick feedback. Sounds like the Aim Solo DL is a very good option. Esp with the CAN info. Too simple!

Have a great Holiday Season! Will do Jerry! Cheers to all!
Old 12-05-2012, 12:47 AM
cr2012
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by amso3
Peter

I believe the 2010 GT 3 is a Bosch ECU. I've had trouble making the DL work with OBD II on the 2010 GT 3. I have not tried the latest firmware though.

DaveNR, keep us posted on which Protocol works for you. Try the generic OBD protocols after you try Porsche/Bosch
Perhaps this is what you are looking for: CAN over OBDII for 997.2

http://aim-sportline.com/download/ec...II_100_eng.pdf

Cheers!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:01 AM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Thank you rldzhao!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Looking at data loggers. Has anyone else been successful in getting OBD-II data from a 2010 GT3 beside orthojoe?
I have several clients who have done this, but I have not personally tested it.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Since orthojoe's post, the firmware and software for the Solo DL has been updated. See attached.

I had a problem with ShakenBake's car, but it's a bad unit and it's been replaced.
There are units out there that do not have the late-September f/w update that won't work. Make sure you ahve the latest f/w AND latest version of RS2 software for the configuration (2.47.02, at least)

Originally Posted by amso3
Peter

Jerry, try it again. I would not try the generic OBD-II protocols since these latest Porsche-specific ones have been released. My understanding is the 2005-2008 GT3's are Bosch ECU equipped (997.1) and 2009 and later (997.2) are Siemens.

Thanks for the quick feedback. Sounds like the Aim Solo DL is a very good option. Esp with the CAN info. Too simple!
It is!

Originally Posted by rldzhao
Perhaps this is what you are looking for: CAN over OBDII for 997.2

http://aim-sportline.com/download/ec...II_100_eng.pdf

Cheers!
This publication was released the last week of November, but proves the existence of the proper, tested protocol for these cars.

It's what Jerry, Matt, Roger and I have been asking for for over a year, starting with orthojoe's plea!

Folks, keep talking about this and we'll all benefit from our collective effort!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:40 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I still want to verify it really works. I got it to work on the 2011 but not the 2010. Very strange. Hopefully DaveNR will confirm that this works

AIM has added staff to do a much better job producing documentation. Glad to see it is arriving.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:34 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Short update:

Sorry for the delay, holidays and other things interfering with priorities! Configured the timer by AIM instructions posted by rldzhao with the following channels:

ID CHANNEL NAME FUNCTION
ECU_1 RPM RPM
ECU_2 WHEEL_SP_FL Front left wheel speed
ECU_3 WHEEL_SP_FR Front right wheel speed
ECU_4 WHEEL_SP_RL Rear left wheel speed
ECU_5 WHEEL_SP_RR Rear right wheel speed
ECU_6 THROTTLE_POS Throttle position sensor
ECU_7 ACCEL_POS Acceleration position
ECU_8 COOLANT_TEMP Engine cooling temperature
ECU_9 INTK_AIR_TEMP Intake air temperature
ECU_10 MANIFOLD_PRESS Manifold air pressure
ECU_11 FUEL_LEVEL Fuel level
ECU_12 STEER_ANGLE Steering angle
ECU_13 BRAKE_PRESS Brake pressure

Should have can connection done in next day or so. Will check the "Online" connection to the data logger and give report. So far so good...

Quick Reply: AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399