Sponsored by:

AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 08:36 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi,

if anybody started playing with Solo DL - it can be configured to have up to 4 custom screens.
in each of screens you can put up to 4 metrics.

how do those metrics get pre-elected from total list of channels in the configuration? Like in my unit i have total of 21 channels defined in the race studio but not all of them show up in the list for custom screens. is it even configurable?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 PM
rickg87
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slightly off topic.
I'm new to DA and have an AIM Pista going into my Cayman.
I'm an apple user but thought of getting a dedicated laptop just for my videos and data. Any suggestions? How much storage gets used up in typical 1 or 2 days of tracking. I guess I'll go PC.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Size depends on Solo vs DL. At NHMS my files for a 20 minute session are around 380 kb. I have files from VIR that are (4) 20 minute sessions that are 4 megs.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:28 PM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rickg87
Slightly off topic.
I'm new to DA and have an AIM Pista going into my Cayman.
I'm an apple user but thought of getting a dedicated laptop just for my videos and data. Any suggestions? How much storage gets used up in typical 1 or 2 days of tracking. I guess I'll go PC.
I'm a lifelong PC user, and still use one at work. I also am bound to the PC platform because of numerous car related software such as Durametric, Trackvision, and Race Studio. Also Sport Tracks for running.

My current PC is a 2011 Macbook Pro 13", i7 and I couldn't be more pleased.

I run Windows via Parallels and it has the horsepower to encode videos in Trackvision quickly.

For me, there was no downside to the Mac. It ran Windows better than the PCs available at the time (MBP was the 1st to market with Sandy Bridge laptops and the Toshiba was several months away), and it ran OSX. I could have the best of both.

The only downside I could come up with is that I don't have on-board blu-ray. I really haven't used the optical drive much.

As for storage, I record on a GoPro Hero HD at 720, whatever the highest frame rate is. Figure on just over 100mb per minute of video. My videos of 20 minute sessions run between 1.7 gb and 2.5 gb, including some grid time.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:18 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default CAN connector for SOLO Dl

Utkinpol is my first user of the connector I made for the DL harness. I thought that it would be best to be able to disconnect the DL harness from the car with a quick connect, in case you want to remove the clutter if not at the track. Also, it sets the stage for an upgrade to a Pista later down the road, hint, hint. Here is a photo of the harness. I added more wire for the power, ground and CAN. I secured the wires unused to make sure they wouldn't cause any issues.
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2012, 04:15 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Jerry asked me to post some pics of Solo DL install with CAN bus connection, so, here it is.

before you start, unplug the battery, make sure you have plenty of light and you know how to work with wires if you decided to solder it all up.
photoscape screwed me up - first picture had power wires circled - brown is ground, orange/black is switchable power.

CORRECTION - look at the last picture, that is where power should be taken from, orange/black wire did not work for me for unknown reason, i had to re-wire it.

second shot has can wires yellow/white and black/white, third shot shows whole thing with adapter, soldered.

Then it is a shot how it looks in race studio2 'online' monitor - first shot is with engine off, second is while driving. you can see what channels are on.
NOTE - do not use 'calculated' gear, select 'bosch gear' - it shows values. yet to see if they are correct or not but they do work i think.

BOSCH_TPS and BOSCH_PPS both show same values based on throttle pedal and it is value from throttle pedal - shows 101% whe fully pressed and 0 when not touched.
brake switch shows in the position 21, ECU_14 signal and goes 0 or 1.

last shot shows how i assigned channels for smartycam.

also need to note - smartycam should have its external GPS antenna disconnected, as Solo unit will supply all GPS info into smartycam.
Attached Images        

Last edited by utkinpol; 01-05-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:15 PM
tcouture
Instructor

Thanks a lot utkinpol.

For some reason, I had it in my head that the wiring had to be done in the rear (near the ECU). I just did not think about doing it from he front. Duh!

I really like the idea of the pig tail with a connector...

T.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:01 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Ask Jerry for connector - it is his know-how.

I ran into some minor issue with Solo DL self powering-up after car`s ignition is off, support will investigate but for anybody who will hit same issue - if you power down this unit with 2 right buttons it shuts down and does not wake up by itself, should serve as an acceptable workaround for now.

I got to say, Solo DL makes a damn nice multigauge with its 4 custom screens which may be mapped to a bunch of CAN channels. I really like it.

Regards, Paul.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:40 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

I've been toying with a SOLO DL over the past four months on a Gen 2 997 GT3RS. The GPS part works perfectly, but the the CAN data just wouldn't flow. Nada.

I have a CAN+/- wiretap that's feeding data to a SmartyCam ECU Bridge and that's been working as advertised since I installed it in February. But the same taps aren't yielding inputs for the SoloDL. I've tried reversing the polarity, running with/without external power and all the usual tricks in the book over that many months.

Weirder still, I bought this as a OBD-II kit with an additional ECU cable. The vendor was able to show that the unit worked in his Fiat via OBD-II so that supposedly eliminates a faulty Solo unit. Me on the other hand haven't been able to get either OBD or ECU to work in my Porker or Merc SLK (when testing OBD I've configured RaceStudio as OBD->CAN)

Has anybody else tried the SoloDL in a Gen 2 997, and if so, what are your RaceStudio settings?

FWIW, I'm running SoloDL FW 46.02.02, RaceStudio 2.45.02 with ECU settings configured as Porsche->EMS SDI 3.1 Siemens, being the same (and functional) settings for the SmartyCam ECU Bridge.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:47 AM
tcouture
Instructor

CRex,

From what I have read, you should be able to pick up the CAN signal from the OBDII connector on pins #6 and #14 on the mk2 cars.

That being said, are you sure that the SOLO can pick up that signal from the OBD connector? It is entirely possible that the SOLO OBD cable can only pick up the ISO information. In fact, it would make sense if the cable/connector only has the pin #7 (and possibly #15) connected... Manufacturers sometimes keep the cables to a minimum to avoid extra costs and make the cables smaller. Obviously, a cable with all 16 wires would be bigger and harder to hide than a cable with 3 or 4 wires in it.

AIM has different versions of the 712 connector depending on what they are using them for, AFAIK, there are 3-4-5-7 pins versions. Does the SmartyCam OBD cable have the same connector on the AIM side as the SOLO? If the SmartyCam has more pins, it may be because it has one more signal (CAN!) than the SOLO OBD cable...

I have been wondering about this myself, it would make my life simpler if I could pick up the CAN signal from the OBD port but it is entirely possible that I may have to make a pigtail to connect the SOLO CAN cable to the OBD port if the SOLO OBD cable cannot pick up the CAN signal...

Worst case, I will need one of these to try:
http://www.obd2cables.com/products/c...-open-6ft.html

Hope this helps,

T.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:51 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CRex
Has anybody else tried the SoloDL in a Gen 2 997, and if so, what are your RaceStudio settings?
I would call AiM support on this as
http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...MS_102_eng.pdf
document does not show your car for siemens ECU. did you try to set it up with Bosch ECU - Bosch/997_gt3 profiles in race studio?

all in all if smartycam indeed reads CAN bus fine then DL should do the same too.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:36 PM
tcouture
Instructor

In: http://www.aim-tec.co.uk/pages/downl...rsche.htm.html

"997 MK2 GT3 RS" links to the same document about the 997 MK2... Makes sense if they have the same ECU.

I have to say, this whole conversation is making me a little edgy about getting a SOLO for my MK2 C2S...

T.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:22 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default SOLO DL ObD II

Guys

Here is the wiring diagram for AIM OBD connector for the DL. I'm waiting to get the CAN diagram, I don't have it yet.
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2012, 11:35 AM
tcouture
Instructor

Thanks Jerry, great info.

From this diagram, it looks like the OBD cable should also be able to pick up the CAN signal on the MK2 cars.

This makes CRex's issue very interesting...

Regards,

T.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:56 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by tcouture
From what I have read, you should be able to pick up the CAN signal from the OBDII connector on pins #6 and #14 on the mk2 cars.
Fair suggestion--but no luck. With OBDII, I've tried configuring the DL in RaceStudio under OBD-CAN and OBD-ISO. No joy.

My other connection method (which is how the SmartyECU bridge gets hooked up) is via a wiretap around the fusebox a la Utkinpol. That gives the SmartyECU all it needs to function correctly. Weird enough, that same tap gives the SoloDL nothing. I've tried most of the permutations in RaceStudio--EMS EDI 3.1 Siemens, Bosch GT3 and everything remotely related to Porsche...

(FWIW, the SmartyECUBridge works configured as EMS 3.1...)

Originally Posted by tcouture
AIM has different versions of the 712 connector depending on what they are using them for, AFAIK, there are 3-4-5-7 pins versions. Does the SmartyCam OBD cable have the same connector on the AIM side as the SOLO? If the SmartyCam has more pins, it may be because it has one more signal (CAN!) than the SOLO OBD cable...
Right on! In the maddest of mad engineering logic, AIM changed the color coding of their wires between the SmartyECUBridge and the SoloDL connectors... ask me how I know Still, with the proper wiring diagrams today and having tried different connections I'm still getting zilch...

Just thinking out loud here: my vendor has eliminated the possibility of a faulty unit (it works on his Fiat in OBDII and he's shown me data to prove...). The wiring is right and I know the wiretaps (the ECU connection at least) are functional. By elimination, am I not down to one of two things: either it's the software implementation in RaceStudio, or BOTH the ECU and OBD cables in my possession are faulty? (the second possibility sounds less likely to me...)

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I ran into some minor issue with Solo DL self powering-up after car`s ignition is off, support will investigate but for anybody who will hit same issue - if you power down this unit with 2 right buttons it shuts down and does not wake up by itself, should serve as an acceptable workaround for now.
I noticed the same with OBD. I gather that the power in the OBD port is independent of ignition--it basically stays live all the time, which is why the Solo gets turned on...

BTW what RaceStudio configuration did you use to get your SoloDL working? OBD-CAN? OBD-ISO?

Originally Posted by amso3
Here is the wiring diagram for AIM OBD connector for the DL. I'm waiting to get the CAN diagram, I don't have it yet.
Thanks Jerry--appreciate it. I got the same from my vendor a while back and have checked all my connections. I'll recheck to make triple-sure but at this point I'm really doubting whether AIM released a working implementation of their software... a case of a SoloDL working in a 997.2 can prove me wrong

Last edited by CRex; 01-10-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Quick Reply: AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399