Sponsored by:

AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 05:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,856 Posts

DavidNR, I don't think this is going to work.

Turns out the 2009-2011 GT3 and GT3 RS still use the Bosch ECU, as Jerry pointed out.

AiM IS working on a new OBD-II protocol specifically for the 997.2 GT3 and GT3 RS cars RIGHT NOW.

For now, I'm telling everyone to use the hardwire connection (and the CAN protocol) taken from the twisted pair under the steering column covers. That, I KNOW works.

The OBD-II connection has the issue ShakeNBake had, slow sampling rates for the RPM and odd values for steering angle.

This will all ultimately work, just not now and not through the OBD-II, even though they posted the documentation as complete...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-22-2012, 05:34 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter,
As expected, you are right. Nothing from the OBD-II connection and total system faults from the yellow/white & black/white can wires by the fuse panel.

Do you have more details on the can wires in the column? Color codes maybe?

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:43 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

David

Here is a link to AIM's document on the 997 with Bosch ECU. http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa....1_100_eng.pdf

Not that it's correct all the time, but you might look for these colors. Remember, CAN will be a twisted pair of wires.

Peter

I was at Sebring a couple weeks ago and was able to make OBD work for an 09 GT 3 RS by using the 997_987_MK2_OBDII protocol
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2012, 09:58 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Same here, Jerry, but the sample rate dragged so bad it was unusable in RS2.

They're working hard on it because I just took some sample data with an unreleased protocol to see it it helped. It did, just not perfect yet.

Another tap-in point that is verified to work with the hard-wired connection is this one. Thanks to Steve at Orbit for checking this out successfully.
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2012, 10:17 AM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Question: aren't the same color coded wires on the column, fuse panel and EMS all the same? Why would one point give data and not another?

Going to go through connection and set up again very carefully. Try the steering column point also.

Hope the firmware release comes soon! Wish me luck.
Attached Images  

Last edited by DavidNR; 12-23-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:46 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DavidNR
Thanks guys. Question: aren't the same color coded wires on the column, fuse panel and EMS all the same? Why would one point give data and not the other?.
Signal strength? Just know it happens...

So you've been trying OBD-II protocol, I assume with a 7-pin to OBD-II (J1979) plug?

Hopefully, you also have a 7-pin to unterminated (bare wire) cable to make the direct connection, using the wires labeled CAN+ and CAN- and the power leads.

Then, you MUST load a different configuration (NOT anything remotely labeled OBD-II) for the direct wire connection. You know that, right?
Old 12-23-2012, 12:04 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Tried both Porsche 997-987 OBDII and Bosch GT3 configurations direct wired with unterminated harness. Both give me widespread system faults on the car. Unplugged the SoloDL from the harness and no system faults. The system faults make me concerned. Luckily they go away after disconnecting the SoloDL. Not sure what I am doing wrong, so time to do some more homework. Thanks tons for the feedback!
Old 12-23-2012, 12:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Direct wire protocol settings for device configuration here:

AIM has developed special applications for many of the most common ECUs: by special applications we mean user-friendly systems which allow to easily connect your ECU to our high tech data loggers: user needs only to install harness between the logger and the ECU.
Once connected, the logger displays (and/or records, depending on the logger and on the ECU data stream) values like RPM, engine load, throttle position (TPS), air and water temperatures, battery voltage, speed, gear, lambda value (air/fuel ratio) analog channels...
All AIM loggers include – free of charge – Race Studio 2 software, a powerful tool to configure the system and analyze recorded data on your PC.
Warning: once the ECU is connected to the logger, it is necessary to set it in the logger configuration in Race Studio 2 software.
Select Manufacturer “Bosch” and Model “997_GT3”.
Refer to Race Studio Configuration user manual for further information concerning the loggers configuration.
Warning: for any further information concerning ECU firmware/software settings and/or upgrading it is always recommended to address to the ECU dealer.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DavidNR
Tried both Porsche 997-987 OBDII and Bosch GT3 configurations direct wired with unterminated harness. Both give me widespread system faults on the car. Unplugged the SoloDL from the harness and no system faults. The system faults make me concerned. Luckily they go away after disconnecting the SoloDL. Not sure what I am doing wrong, so time to do some more homework. Thanks tons for the feedback!
It's not happy! So sorry, but there will be an answer.

This info has been forwarded to AiM. ShakeNBake and kernelofknowledge have had similar issues. No permanent issues with MIL's.

What's weird is that not all cars have these issues (some read data and most do not show MIL lights), so I don't have an answer right now. Will keep you posted, though! Please keep checking!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who's on the East Coast that can set up my AIM DL and Smartycam system?

I want them to be able to help me download to my PC, too!

I've got the 2 units installed, but they aren't talking nicely to each other, or my PC!!

OR, maybe it's just me...which I'm sure is a big part of the learning curve that's needed!

Jason
Old 12-28-2012, 03:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Jason, who did you buy your system from? That should be your first point of contact.

Didn't you ask this past summer about hopefully getting some support at NJMP?

I'd be glad to try and help you remotely. Rates and information lower on the page here: http://www.peterkrause.net/Krause_%2...deo_Sales.html
Old 12-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete,

I bought the AIM DL from the guy at NJMP...think it's Driving Impressions; and the Smartycam I bought from a fellow who changed his mind on the unit after deciding to go another route. That's why I've got a bit of a problem...neither one is an installer or coach type of guy.

Lesson to be learned...buy from a qualified installer and coach!! It's more than just getting a good price on the unit!!

Jason
Old 12-28-2012, 04:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Like I said, be glad to help.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:15 AM
Glock Guru
Instructor

Any update from AIM on a OBDII protocol that works on the 2011 GT3 RS 3.8L with the Solo DL?

I'm using a SOLO DL w/ a Smarty Cam. I will upgrade to a CAN hard wire when the Smarty Cam HD comes out.

-Troy
Old 01-19-2013, 08:53 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Troy

Have you downloaded the latest version of Race Studio? 02.47.04 (Dec 18th 2012) I was able to get an OBD to work with OBD II/CAN protoco before tis release, but AIM might have made improvements, I have not checked. I actually have a 2011 GT 3 RS here but in a trailer. When it comes out, I'll try to see if AIM has provided better protocols for this car

Quick Reply: AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399