AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 04:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,325 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by acao
Beware when upgrading your Solo DL unit to 46.03.04.

I upgraded my DL to 46.03.04. It is connected to my 2006 Carrera 3.6 via CAN, running the Bosch 997_GT3 protocol. It was working fine under version 46.03.02.

It's frustrating that it seems every time AIM upgrades one thing, they break two other things.
Thanks for the info. That's not always true (breaking two other things ), but it's a tricky business and you're right. We're here and they're there...

Thanks again.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-20-2012, 04:56 PM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amso3
Thanks for the update, that is really troubling. Hopefully Josh reads this and can comment.
I reported this to Josh this morning. He's out until Monday, but I've always found him helpful and responsive.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:13 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Beware when upgrading your Solo DL unit to 46.03.04.

I upgraded my DL to 46.03.04. It is connected to my 2006 Carrera 3.6 via CAN, running the Bosch 997_GT3 protocol. It was working fine under version 46.03.02.

After the upgrade, when I plugged my unit in while the car was running, the instrument panel went bananas. Spoiler errors, PSM errors, steady yellow check engine light, "visit workshop" message, the works. The check engine light remained even after I unplugged the DL.
i left my unit with 46.02.10 version, in 03.02 smartycam screen was missing and also some other stuff was moved around pretty weird, custom screens were gone when unit was switched into 'performance' mode like 0-60mph time, etc.

thanks for the warning.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:55 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I've been thinking of selling my Race-Keeper. I'm not sure I totally understand the Aim Solo DL and that I can plug a Go Pro or Smarty Cam into it...????

Is the Aim system better than Race Keeper?
Old 07-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I've been thinking of selling my Race-Keeper. I'm not sure I totally understand the Aim Solo DL and that I can plug a Go Pro or Smarty Cam into it...????

You can plug the DL and the Smarty Cam (not a Go Pro) together and they will automatically sync with the data overlaid real time. It's a very slick setup and can get tons of info from the CAN connection.

As to better or worse than your Race Keeper, I can't speak to as I've never used a Race Keeper. I can say that they Race Studio 2 software is incredibly powerful.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:28 AM
acao
Racer

Originally Posted by mdrums

I know nothing about Race Keeper.

I use the Aim Solo DL and a GoPro HD. I download the data from the Aim Solo DL using Race Studio 2 software. Then, I export the data to Excel format. Then, I sync the video with the data, using shift points as my reference, via Trackvision.

In addition to downloading the data, Race Studio 2 also does analysis and squiggly lines. It's real, real, deep. In the past year, I have yet to really explore and exploit Race Studio 2, but have still gained tremendously from the bit of data I've found from groping around the menus.

So bottom line, no sync with the GoPro isn't automatic. Am I happy with it? Yes, especially considering the cost difference between a Smartycam (Aim's supported camera) and a GoPro. Trackvision (video syncing software) support has been excellent.

In addition to the cost delta between Smartycam and GoPro, I like using independent components linked by software because if I buy a Smartycam, I'm stuck with it's features for a period of time out of my control. If I use Trackvision, I can always upgrade the camera for better resolution, frame rate, etc., and still have my sync'd data.

Ultimately, the Aim data unit does its thing, and my camera does its own thing. Trackvision makes it happen for me, and I can't recommend it enough because of the support.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:52 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hmmm. I sell both, Mike. I'll write something up today, but yes, I prefer AiM.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Mike, in the GT2/GT3 thread, you said you liked the crisp on-screen graphics. That and the video quality are one reason why the Solo DL/SmartyCam combo is nice. I'm making up a Race-Keeper/AiM pro/con list now and will post tonight.

Again, both systems work well but they're different. The excellent, real-time rendered information on-screen on the SmartyCam and the depth of the data analysis to me more than make up for the lack of side-by-side video comparison capability of the Race-Keeper (and Video VBOX).

More soon.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:08 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I know nothing about Race Keeper.

I use the Aim Solo DL and a GoPro HD. I download the data from the Aim Solo DL using Race Studio 2 software. Then, I export the data to Excel format. Then, I sync the video with the data, using shift points as my reference, via Trackvision.

In addition to downloading the data, Race Studio 2 also does analysis and squiggly lines. It's real, real, deep. In the past year, I have yet to really explore and exploit Race Studio 2, but have still gained tremendously from the bit of data I've found from groping around the menus.

So bottom line, no sync with the GoPro isn't automatic. Am I happy with it? Yes, especially considering the cost difference between a Smartycam (Aim's supported camera) and a GoPro. Trackvision (video syncing software) support has been excellent.

In addition to the cost delta between Smartycam and GoPro, I like using independent components linked by software because if I buy a Smartycam, I'm stuck with it's features for a period of time out of my control. If I use Trackvision, I can always upgrade the camera for better resolution, frame rate, etc., and still have my sync'd data.

Ultimately, the Aim data unit does its thing, and my camera does its own thing. Trackvision makes it happen for me, and I can't recommend it enough because of the support.
+1. Agree with everything said.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by orthojoe
+1. Agree with everything said.
TrackVision, RaceRender and Dashware are all very good, after the fact, "mating" software. I'd go with Trackvision over the other two because of Tony's support for the sport and his customers as well as the maturity and feature set of his product. Most folks using third-party software to mate the exported data to the video are looking for a more economical solution and/or comfortable with the multiple steps required to get this done.

A majority of people who purchase equipment from me desire a turn-key solution.

They want either data rendered on the video, real-time, suitable for immediate playback or data-overlaid video which is an automatically synched solution requiring very little computer savvy.

Video VBOX and AiM SmartyCam can do the former. Race-Keeper and Race Technology Video4 do the latter and Traqmate with the SD or HD camera options is auto-synched and does the latter with a few more steps.

You pay your money and you take your choice. I'm just glad there are so many choices!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:08 AM
acao
Racer

Originally Posted by Lolaman
A majority of people who purchase equipment from me desire a turn-key solution.
I totally understand and respect this approach. There are plenty of track weekends after which I'm much too tired to export data and sync videos. I'm also comfortable tinkering with software, which is not in everybody's wheelhouse. On the other hand, I'm not comfortable handling a spring compressor, so it's good there's a good or service for everybody's level.

Also, data-over-video on the fly has an additional distinct and big advantage: After your session, the video is ready for your study and analysis and you can implement driving changes right then. I have to wait until I can sync the video and study it.

Last edited by acao; 07-23-2012 at 12:20 AM. Reason: additional comment.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:01 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I totally understand and respect this approach. There are plenty of track weekends after which I'm much too tired to export data and sync videos. I'm also comfortable tinkering with software, which is not in everybody's wheelhouse. On the other hand, I'm not comfortable handling a spring compressor, so it's good there's a good or service for everybody's level.

Also, data-over-video on the fly has an additional distinct and big advantage: After your session, the video is ready for your study and analysis and you can implement driving changes right then. I have to wait until I can sync the video and study it.
Both very good points! I have seen some wonderful TrackVision videos with data exported from the Solo, not even the DL, so it's a great solution.

Over the last twenty-years of coaching using video and data (Stack and a VHS-C back in the "old days"), it's become apparent to me that most intermediate and advanced drivers can often pick up the most egregious errors and identify opportunities for improvement just by a simple video review.

That's what these tools are so great for. Our minds really do remember things the way we would have liked them to be, not as they were...
Old 07-23-2012, 09:28 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a question on analyzing the data.

This past weekend every time I went out for a session it seems the Solo unit started it's recording point at a slightly different location. I had 4 splits built into the lap that I added via GPS manager. It still picked up on the start / finish line every time, picked up every split indicator just fine as well. From in the car it all worked flawlessly.

However when I load the data and analyze the GPS graphs don't overlay in the same spot due to the recording start point. I noticed this in the past as well but in the past it seems like only one or two sessios was really off.

Some of my sessions would start recording right at the start finish line, others in the last turn before start finish.

Comparing the overlaying graphs this way is extremely difficult because they're off by about 2 seconds. Is there a way to move the graphs in the analysis software so that I'm looking at them on top of each other again?

How do I stop the Solo from picking up a different recording point every time I go out?

Andy
Old 07-23-2012, 09:45 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I have a question on analyzing the data.

This past weekend every time I went out for a session it seems the Solo unit started it's recording point at a slightly different location.

Andy
Simple question, but is you x-axis set to time, instead of distance?

Since every lap is a different time, that would cause this.

Also, if you're using Race Studio 2 before v2.46.00, they introduced a fix in 2.46.02 and 2.47.00.

"3. Fixed bug that could generate GPS data shift"

Last edited by ProCoach; 07-23-2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Add RS2 note from software release
Old 07-23-2012, 11:02 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Simple question, but is you x-axis set to time, instead of distance?

Since every lap is a different time, that would cause this.

Also, if you're using Race Studio 2 before v2.46.00, they introduced a fix in 2.46.02 and 2.47.00.

"3. Fixed bug that could generate GPS data shift"
I'll check those tonight, I'm sure it's likely user error. I really need to sit down and learn the sotware better.

Quick Reply: AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399