Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:44 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Cross post which you guys shd likely know something about ...
https://rennlist.com/forums/9446331-post28.html
Ie can you adjust your cars KPH dial to tie up to your SoloDL/Ecu data?
Old 04-15-2012, 07:43 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

is there any word from AiM on firmware upgrades?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:03 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Paul

If you are referring to contacting AIM about OBD protocols, I've done that today. Is there something else I can ask them?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I don't know about release date, but the new one is supposed to include calibration for the internal accelerometer and the fix for steering angle that I was able to test for them.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't seem to find a screen on the Solo DL for calibrating the accelerometers. Is there one, and if not, can it be added? I would hate to think that I need to calibrate it only via laptop- every time the mount is moved slightly it needs to be recalibrated for proper functionality!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:17 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
I can't seem to find a screen on the Solo DL for calibrating the accelerometers. Is there one, and if not, can it be added? I would hate to think that I need to calibrate it only via laptop- every time the mount is moved slightly it needs to be recalibrated for proper functionality!
You are correct in regards to you concerns. There is currently no way to calibrate without connecting to RS2 on laptop. Hopefully the new version will fix this problem.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by orthojoe
You are correct in regards to you concerns. There is currently no way to calibrate without connecting to RS2 on laptop. Hopefully the new version will fix this problem.
Yes, I found that quite strange since accelerometer calibration in unit has been around since the Mychron 3+ and Gold and is part of the Mychron 4 package also. Having to pull out the laptop for literally every run group is quite silly...

On the other hand, the Solo DL Peter Krause sold me is working perfectly!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:46 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Good questions guys, I hadn't thought of that.

I did the accelerometer calibration the first time I fitted my DL properly with laptop etc.. took 2 minutes ... and now I pretty much mount it (ie within 5cm) of the same place everytime (using the RAM windscreen mount - neat, solid, works well). I only remove it to download data and keep it safe.

But do I need to recalib. each time? What does the recalib. actually do?

But like Nick I love the Solo DL and beside the cup cars with their motecs, I feel slightly sad for pople with other less able, neat machines.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

In theory, yes, you do need to recalibrate it every time. On the karts we recalibrate it almost every run because it improves the track mapping accuracy (we calibrate it on the ground, not on the stand). Any time you move it slightly it will need recalibration (at least, that's what I've seen on the kart systems which I assume use similar accelerometers as the Solo DL).

You should see the track map I have for Sebring without calibration- a big circle... haha!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:54 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

from my understanding, calibration marks the exact position of the solo unit in it's mounting position to calibrate the accelerometer. If you're tilted a few degrees in one or more directions from your original mounting position, the readings will be off.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:56 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

for example, I first calibrated my solo lying face up on my desktop (not knowing how calibration works), and what is supposed to be longitunding Gs became latitude Gs
Old 04-16-2012, 12:14 PM
HiWind
Race Car

ok thanks for the detail - useful. I think I'll 'aim' to keep my mount more precisely in the same place but atleast its' tilt is always the same. But highlights the subtle vaguaries of the process we like to think is 'precise' especially if you're comparing one days data to another.

Last edited by HiWind; 04-16-2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: more
Old 04-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

You guys are correct on the calibration every time the mount is moved. If you are worried abou the calibration, look at the GPS_Long and GPS_Lat forces. They are calculated using the time stamps and distances from the GPS signal. They are very accurate and should actually just look like a slightly smoothed version of the actual accelerometer readings.

No calibration is needed for the GPS G forces either.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:29 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Hey Matt - so if you move it from its stable mount to the computer and then back it needs to be recal'd even if its mounted exactly the same way, hegiht, tilt etc...?
Old 04-16-2012, 01:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,078 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Originally Posted by amso3
Hi Paul

If you are referring to contacting AIM about OBD protocols, I've done that today. Is there something else I can ask them?
Actually, I think Paul was also asking about power on/power off with the SmartyCam connected, too, as well as additional protocol decodings...

The screen is in Race Studio 2 while it is connected to the Solo when the Solo is mounted as it will be used in the car. I recommend using the "auto calibration of all sensors" option, then transmitting to the Solo.

On the other hand, the Solo DL Peter Krause sold me is working perfectly!
That's good news!

Originally Posted by HiWind
But do I need to recalib. each time? What does the recalib. actually do?
Yes, if your mounting orientation varies by 50mm, that's a LOT. The recalibration "zeroes" the try-axis accelerometers in the Solo.

In theory, yes, you do need to recalibrate it every time.
True, in theory. But I know lots of people who have never calibrated their accelerometers in their Solos and instead, rely on the GPS calculated forces.

from my understanding, calibration marks the exact position of the solo unit in it's mounting position to calibrate the accelerometer. If you're tilted a few degrees in one or more directions from your original mounting position, the readings will be off.
Correct.

for example, I first calibrated my solo lying face up on my desktop (not knowing how calibration works), and what is supposed to be longitunding Gs became latitude Gs
Interesting. I would have then expected VertG to be displayed as LongG and LatG to be unchanged.

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
You guys are correct on the calibration every time the mount is moved. If you are worried abou the calibration, look at the GPS_Long and GPS_Lat forces. They are calculated using the time stamps and distances from the GPS signal. They are very accurate and should actually just look like a slightly smoothed version of the actual accelerometer readings.

No calibration is needed for the GPS G forces either.
While the GPS_Long is worthwhile, I find that when I am calculating brake attack or release over distance, the actual measured LongG is much better. For me, at least. No processing required. For gross measurement and comparison, the GPS_Long is fine. That's the ONLY way Racelogic's stuff works...

Originally Posted by HiWind
Hey Matt - so if you move it from its stable mount to the computer and then back it needs to be recal'd even if its mounted exactly the same way, hegiht, tilt etc...?
No. If your magnetic mount base does NOT change location or orientation and you merely snap the Solo in and out of the car, it can be set once and left. If you dislodge it at all or there is any question, recalibrate using RS2 and the USB cable.

Best of luck!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399