Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013 | 10:43 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Think you've nailed it. That's why there's GPS lat/long, too.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-25-2013 | 01:13 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Does anyone know how the AIM Solo figures out how it is installed in order for the internal gyro to work? Since we turn the display towards the pilot (same install as in the GTR picture above) it isn't 100% straight and I am under the impression that even after calibrating the sensors the lat/lon isn't 100% correct (you can clearly see this in an X/Y lat/lon plot. It isn't straight but rotated a bit).

Anyone care to share his knowledge about this?
Did you calibrate with the unit mounted in the car? The calibration needs to be done with the solo mounted in the exact position it will be in when driving/logging
Old 04-26-2013 | 09:04 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

I just hooked up my Solo DL to the 996 for the first time using the ECU connection and I don't appear to be picking up anything at all, its showing 'ERR' on all of the ECU inputs. I had chosen the Bosch 996 ECU, so that seems to be correct. Am I doing something wrong here? Would love to at least pick up engine RPM, even if nothing else.
Old 04-28-2013 | 06:06 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Did you calibrate with the unit mounted in the car? The calibration needs to be done with the solo mounted in the exact position it will be in when driving/logging
Of course I did.

Yesterday I made sure the device was installed perfectly axis-aligned in the car (driver wasn't going to watch the display anyway) and the results were a lot better.
Old 04-28-2013 | 08:45 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Jakermc

Search for this: AiM Solo DL Protocol list. This will give you the protocol for 996 and provide data including RPM.
Old 04-29-2013 | 10:08 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amso3
Jakermc

Search for this: AiM Solo DL Protocol list. This will give you the protocol for 996 and provide data including RPM.
Thanks! I could not find instructions for a standard 996 but followed the protocol for a 996 GT3RS and that worked for me. I was able to pick up RPM and then run the gear calibration to pick that up also. Had everything working for Day 2 of this weekend's NASA event.
Old 07-26-2013 | 03:07 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Hi guys
I have 997.2 gt3

Planning to install AIM Solo DL w CAN wires. I shouldve read this whole thread but connecting to ECU kinda scares me plus all the programming.

Ive seen pictures of the wire loom near fuse box - So i dont need to even go near the actual ECU? I also saw a pic of quick disconnect connector. Are you guys all doing that or just using a T-Tab to tap into the wire?

Many thanks!
Old 07-26-2013 | 09:01 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The twisted pair near the fuse box is the way to go. Nick Wong posted the pics that I used to identify the wires and I've done this successfully many times. You get so much more (and more quickly sampled) information with the CAN connection. I do not use the scotch locks or other temporary connections, however. I think you run the risk of an intermittent connection or damage to the harness that way. I strip 1/2" insulation back after separating a short length of the twisted pair and solder the two leads to the appropriate CAN + and CAN - leads, plus supply switched power (key-in) to the Solo DL. Works great.
Old 07-26-2013 | 12:05 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Ahh. Soldering.. I suck at Soldering.

Thanks for the info... Just two wires... Sounds simple... I'll try to take pictures while I'm doing this for 997 guys.
Old 07-26-2013 | 04:05 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

ok so looking at the 997 document from AIM, they use ODB connector in their documentation. But what is the difference to tap into the "twisted pai" wiring that represents the CAN +/- and using OBD connector which makes a connection through the port anyways. (hope that makes sense)

Isnt it the setting of the Solo DL telling it to communicate via CAN/ECU setting rather than OBD setting?
Old 07-26-2013 | 05:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kormaster
what is the difference to tap into the "twisted pair" wiring that represents the CAN +/- and using OBD connector which makes a connection through the port .
Different information at a different rate of transfer speed. Huge difference between tapping the CAN information from the Engine ECU to the dash display and the OBD-II port used for very basic information used for emissions testing and simple measures.

While you can get RPM, ECT and a few simple measures from the OBD-II port with no cutting, splicing or electrical connection, you'd be amazed at the increase in information and the quality of it.

Isnt it the setting of the Solo DL telling it to communicate via CAN/ECU setting rather than OBD setting?
It is ALSO the setting (better known as "Configuration," instructions transmitted to the Solo DL) that tells it what kind of information, in what language and what rate to accept it. It has to be changed when you change the connection point or mode.

The CAN connection for 997.2 GT3's, which use the Bosch ECU as opposed to the Siemens ECU, is relatively recent and very, very good.

That is now my recommended way of logging vehicle info for 2009-2011 GT3 and GT3RS cars.
Old 08-01-2013 | 01:06 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Edit:
Install success: 997.2 GT3

Here were my summery and challenges.

So 6 wires
CAN + white - connected to Yellow/White
CAN - blue- to Black/White
Ground - Black - ground to chassis - I unscrewed a nut (ext paint color that was holding the plastic arm of the fuse box assembly - stuck the ground wire at the bottom of the bolt thread and tightened the nut
Power - red - used a blank space in the fuse box and used 15 red fuse. Soldered one end and stuck it in.

RS 232 RX - white - not used
RS 232 TX - Blue - not used

I have the latest firmware. Picked Bosche Ecu and 997 gt3 just popped up from the menu. I chose that.

In races studio, I clicked on "online info" and it was alive! Everything was working.

Rpm was instantly updated on the screen.. Idling just below 1000.

Throttle position - I tested this w engine off. Full throttle gives me 101.6
Brake was 0 or 1.. Hmm not % = maybe i was looking at the wrong value.

Thanks everyone. I was scared to do this but most challenging this was soldering.. Damn solder kept going toward the solder pen.. Not the wire. This was my first time soldering anything so if you are good at this, this is piece of cake for you.

Last edited by DC640; 08-01-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-01-2013 | 07:47 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Edit:
Install success: 997.2 GT3

Here were my summery and challenges.

So 6 wires
CAN + white - connected to Yellow/White
CAN - blue- to Black/White
Ground - Black - ground to chassis - I unscrewed a nut (ext paint color that was holding the plastic arm of the fuse box assembly - stuck the ground wire at the bottom of the bolt thread and tightened the nut
Power - red - used a blank space in the fuse box and used 15 red fuse. Soldered one end and stuck it in.

RS 232 RX - white - not used
RS 232 TX - Blue - not used

I have the latest firmware. Picked Bosche Ecu and 997 gt3 just popped up from the menu. I chose that.

Thanks everyone. I was scared to do this but most challenging this was soldering.. Damn solder kept going toward the solder pen.. Not the wire. This was my first time soldering anything so if you are good at this, this is piece of cake for you.
Awesome! I wish more people would realize and do this! The OBD-II connection for the GT3 is very limited and just not very good. The CAN connection is no big deal and works great!

Your brake is just off (0) and on (1). All of the updated Siemens ECU's on the regular 997.2 cars have brake pressure for the stability control, but the legacy Bosch unit used in the 997.2 GT3's does not.

Congratulations!
Old 08-01-2013 | 03:18 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Now, I need to learn how to use this program. Can someone send me data file I can play with? I don't have track day for another 4 wks.
Old 08-01-2013 | 04:55 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Now, I need to learn how to use this program. Can someone send me data file I can play with? I don't have track day for another 4 wks.
Lots of them at http://www.trailbrake.net/aim-files.html to look at.

Quick Reply: AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399