Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013 | 12:45 PM
thstone
Instructor

I just want to say that I love my AIM Solo! Super easy to use. I give it full credit for helping me take several seconds off my lap times (using the +/- mode) over the past 6 months. Its not a complete replacement for a professional driving instructor in the car, but close.
Old 08-02-2013 | 01:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The Solo is a really good tool. I have countless customers who add it on top of their existing data systems (usually MoTeC) to give them real-time feedback, specifically the +/- predictive mode!

It's the best, most objective "report card" of what you're doing well and how much it's worth to do well! Of course, it's the ultimate indicator of the end result of all your work.

Where a coach can help is to dig deeper and pick out the executions, amplitude and timing that make that improvement that much more likely to happen! Good luck!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-28-2013 | 12:02 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by ProCoach
........................It's also playable in some of the latest tablets.....
Not finding much about apps that may make it feasible to upload data from a Solo onto a tablet, rather than a laptop, but I figure I'd ask.

Anyway, I have a plain Solo (non-DL). Anyone know if there is any way to upload data onto a tablet of some kind, and review the data, rather than having to use a full computer/laptop? May be buying a tablet in a day or two.
Old 08-28-2013 | 02:03 AM
akirasan
Intermediate

No laptop == no Aim software ... for now. I sent them an email earlier this year, supposedly they have some table versions under development but ...
Old 08-28-2013 | 07:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 67King
Not finding much about apps that may make it feasible to upload data from a Solo onto a tablet, rather than a laptop, but I figure I'd ask.

Anyway, I have a plain Solo (non-DL). Anyone know if there is any way to upload data onto a tablet of some kind, and review the data, rather than having to use a full computer/laptop? May be buying a tablet in a day or two.
No, no way to read data from a Solo or Solo DL (or any other data product that I know of, yet) on a tablet.

"It" is the data-laden video recorded by a SmartyCam fed with that data from a Solo DL. The full quote is (and cites an example tablet that is a few generations old):

"The Solo DL/Smartycam solution is ideal for people that want two things.

1) Instantaneous playback of data-laden video (overlays of useful information) within 90 seconds of returning to the pits or paddock.

Playable on a Windows laptop (avi video format) or Apple laptops (mov or QuickTime format).

It's (the video) also playable in some of the latest tablets, specifically the Asus Ee Transformer TF201 and later. No muss, no fuss.

This has consistently been the most valuable aid for drivers to identify opportunities for improvement.

2) The Solo DL provides the interface to translate the car's info into the graphical display on the SmartyCam's video background. Throttle position, brake position or pressure if supplied, most of the channels logged can be shown on the video, real time.

The bottom line is that the integrated solutions from each maker are the easiest way to produce data-overlayed video that one can digest in the shortest period of time."
Old 08-30-2013 | 11:18 PM
jlucas
Instructor

Originally Posted by 67King
May be buying a tablet in a day or two.
Surface Pro will run regular windows and work just fine with data acq software.
Old 08-30-2013 | 11:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I have a Win8 Sony Tap 20 for data that works fine.

Of course, tablets that runs full Win8 can do AiM RS2, Circuit Tools, even i2 Pro, but when I hear "tablet" it usually means Android, Win 8 Mobile or iOS, not something that costs as much or more than a decent laptop (like an MBA).

Most of the folks I've spoken to have been underwhelmed with tablets in the $700 or less range, and these are the ones that won't work with Win8 software...

Is that the kind of machine the questioner was asking about?

Last edited by ProCoach; 08-31-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-01-2013 | 11:18 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Is that the kind of machine the questioner was asking about?
No, I was asking about an Android tablet. Given the goal of the Solo is quick feedback, it seems that a tablet type device would be the ideal tool. Honestly I just would rather use it than my laptop because it is smaller and less prone to break.

I asked AiM, as well, and they indicated they are progressing with a mobile version of the software, so it may be next year, but eventually I'll be good.
Old 09-01-2013 | 03:33 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

I used to use a net book

Now a med size laptop it's just easier with a big screen to see... And keyboard to imput and manipulate on

But if they do come out with a mobile solution ill try it

But as it stands the interface is windows-mouse-keyboard

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Old 09-01-2013 | 05:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I wasn't clear. I thought you were asking about the Android tablets, which you are.

I would not hold my breath for a mobile tablet solution from AiM. I tested the new HD SmartyCam yesterday on an iPad (the GoPro can be seen on the iPad) and it didn't work.
Old 09-02-2013 | 12:31 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

If the Solo DL/Smartycam package is so robust, easy to use, and relatively inexpensive, can someone please explain why you might want Motec or something similar instead of the Solo? And why, exactly, might you want a Solo AND a Motec?
Old 09-02-2013 | 01:04 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
If the Solo DL/Smartycam package is so robust, easy to use, and relatively inexpensive, can someone please explain why you might want Motec or something similar instead of the Solo? And why, exactly, might you want a Solo AND a Motec?
Horses for courses. The Solo DL/SmartyCam, in a car with a robust CAN, will give you everything the car monitors through a simple 2 wire hookup and the SmartyCam gives you all the data on the video, real time. The Solo also gives you the best form (of any data system) of immediate feedback in the +/- predicted lap time.

Motec systems, in all their variants, are a higher "pro" category setup. They can handle individual sensor hookups (at an almost unlimited number), run on board math channels, have output channels based on inputs, and many other things.

The two are very different sorts of systems.
Old 09-09-2013 | 03:39 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Can the Solo DL be connected to the ECU via the OBDII plug-in connector or does it need to be hooked up directly to the ECU?
Old 09-09-2013 | 08:45 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

SOlO DL can be connected to the OBD port on most cars 2002 and newer. Check here to see what data you can get from your car. http://aim-sportline.com/eng/downloa...onnections.htm
Old 09-09-2013 | 09:59 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Next gen Solo needs to have wifi built in, so it can stream video and data to a mobile app, rather than the operator having to yoga-up and yank the SD card from the SmartcamGP.

Quick Reply: AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399