Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013 | 06:26 PM
InTopGear
3rd Gear

Thank you Dave and KaiB for the advice and encouragement. Even advice as easy as that made all the difference. I feel great driving it now!
What is the correct way to downshift? Is it right to let out the clutch slowly without any gas?
And what is your take on downshifting through the gears to slow down vs just putting it into neutral and using the brakes? (for example coming to a stoplight or getting off the highway)
Thank you!
Old 08-24-2013 | 06:48 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Too tired to type right now, look up "rev-matching" for downshifts.

Do not use the gearbox to slow down; we downshift to select the proper gear for the corner exit (or traffic situation).

Do not allow the car to run free in neutral (look up "free-wheeling")

If nobody else writes a dissertation, I will over coffee in the AM.
Old 08-24-2013 | 07:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KaiB
Too tired to type right now, look up "rev-matching" for downshifts.

Do not use the gearbox to slow down; we downshift to select the proper gear for the corner exit (or traffic situation).

Do not allow the car to run free in neutral (look up "free-wheeling")

If nobody else writes a dissertation, I will over coffee in the AM.
+1

Brake pads are MUCH less expensive & easier to replace than clutches...transmissions...engines...
Old 09-03-2013 | 12:07 AM
tahoelife
Racer

Default PCA DE driving rules?

Hello coaches so this past weekend at a DE/time trial I had a mechanical issue that prevented me from running the morning sessions. I was able to fix the car and head out for the remaining two after lunch. Knowing that I was wanting to make up for missed practice I went out with a calm mindset and planned on bring the car up to speed. The afternoon had gotten hot 100deg air temp hot making the track a little slippery, 2/3 way through the session I came into a neg off camber turn a little hot the rear stepped out and it turned into a long drift save that I had to slow down a lot to real back in. It was brought to the attention of the CDI and chair that I was "pushing it" the next session I was picking up speed lap after lap and adjusted my braking zone going into a uphill braking zone but in an effort to brake later i braked to hard and locked up the fronts (no abs) so in order to save my tires i had to back off then bring the speed down and so as not to spin I drove off in a safe manor waited for the corner worker to tell me to re-enter and went straight to the black flag station to have the talk. because in there mind i had two incidences in back to back sessions. I was approached after the session by the chairman and the cdi to " reel it in". in my mind I had done the right thing in both scenarios. the next morning the air temp dropped and the track was fast I went out and set a new personal best in back to back sessions upon the third session I was out and carried a little more slip angle through a turn which led to two wheels off (not four) and a save in the next corner so black fagged again and this time they basically said if I wasn't who I was ( club registrar and volunteer for everything else they need done so that I can do this sport ) I would have been sent home.. all of this is being done in the instructor run group and with a safe distance from any other cars. I can not find any where the lists rules on what is ok or not ok for a level of driving a non assisted car at the limit to learn how to go fast can someone guide me on what is ok for a DE environment?? I am winning my time trial class and setting track records while doing so why is it wrong to have mistakes that I clearly had an exit strategy for? Sorry for the long read
Old 09-03-2013 | 12:39 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

You are not supposed to be driving your car "at the limit"; your's or the cars at a DE.
Old 09-03-2013 | 12:45 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Tahoe;Not sure what a time trial/DE is. To me those are separate events. It is my understanding (as a PCA instructor and a +10 years doing DE)that DE's are not practice for racing and if you are going off every other session, you are pushing too hard. These events are for getting seat time and if everyone went off every other session they drive, they would not have much seat time. You should dial it back a little to a level that decreases your number of "incidents". Normally 8/10ths is a good level to aim for.
BTW Up here (Canada), timing at a PCA DE and posting about it, can negate any track insurance for the event for all participants and could cause track insurance to be cancelled for future events, thus cancelling future DEs.
Old 09-03-2013 | 01:56 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Tahoe,

+1 on the above. Standard practice for PCA, DEs are about driving clean and not at the limit. If you TT or Race you have to consciously switch it into low for a DE, and often you can find yourself back in race mode without thinking. It's why I don't really do DEs anymore. It's hard to dial it down and when you do it feels kinda pointless. But remember how intimidating it can be for other drivers that are just out in a nice car to have fun at the track, and someone kicking up dust and gravel on the track ain't so good.
Old 09-03-2013 | 03:01 AM
tahoelife
Racer

Thank you for the responses I understand that it is not practice for racing I wasn't trying to race anyone just do the best laps I could so that when it was time for the time trial the only form of "racing " my budget allows where they have created car classes etc and are allowed to time the cars keeping score for the "season". How does one "practice for that? I know everyone steers away from the topic due to todays liability issues.. I will tone it down and I guess find another place to play someday.
Old 09-03-2013 | 12:53 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Practice on private track days not at DE's. In most regions including mine, 2 black flags over a DE event and you are asked to leave the event. The group that is most frowned on for getting black flags is the Instructor group, we should be demonstrating restraint of going over the limit.
Old 09-03-2013 | 03:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Yes, instructors are supposed to set a good example, not a consistently reckless one.
Old 09-03-2013 | 04:48 PM
tahoelife
Racer

Thank you all for the responses first off I never said I was an instructor just running in that run group it is where they put the faster drivers. I will dial it back at the future DEs I attend. I think there is a difference between reckless (dangerous) driving as oppossed a planned approach to making adjustments in your driving that sometimes lead to a spin or off then you learn from that and re-adjust. I will let the leaders at our events know that maybe they need to explain what is acceptable driving a lot better than they have as none of that has ever been specifically brought up after 3 years of attending the events. This forum and this thread have been a huge resoource for me and I value all the input so thank you really my goal is to learn not to be considered a liability.
Old 09-03-2013 | 05:14 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yes, instructors are supposed to set a good example, not a consistently reckless one.
Dang!

What, no beers while tracking now?
Old 09-03-2013 | 05:31 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Dang!

OMG no way, and I just installed a beer cozy drink bottle....

Tahoe,

Driving and exploring the limits of the car and your ability is the goal of just about everyone on the forum. You can't really understand the limit until you've exceeded it, so don't get me wrong it is an important part of the process, but a PCA DEs is not the venue. Doing an open track day, Time Trial (not sure if you were doing a TT session with transponders and lap timing? A PCA no no) you might try NASA or SCCA they would be the right place for a competitive driving.
Old 09-03-2013 | 06:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Dang!

I didn't say that!
Old 09-03-2013 | 09:05 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

congrats to our own Matt Romanowski for his article on data acquisition in this week's Speed Secrets newsletter

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH