Sponsored by:

Rennlist Iracing

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:55 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

Nice, that should be a fun combination.

Also, you guys got Takuma Sato on board for the Asian market push! That's got to be music to the Fanclub's ears here on Rennlist.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:01 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Can any of you guys take a picture of your physical racing setup and post it? Your steering wheel, pedals, etc.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:31 AM
GaryM05
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BC
Can any of you guys take a picture of your physical racing setup and post it? Your steering wheel, pedals, etc.
Here's mine from when it was in mid-setup (try to ignore the tools and wires lying around.) I use the Fanatec 911 Turbo S wheel with the Logitech G25 pedals removed from their housing and top-mounted, with a load cell for the brake pedal and the Bodnar box for the PC interface.

I built the setup to match the dimensions of my 944 (which I pulled the OEM passenger seat from for the PC setup), designed to come apart in 3 parts to move into the house and get downstairs into the basement from the garage where I put this thing together. That also makes it easier to move into the TV room for Forza racing (the Fanatec wheel works with XBox as well as PC, and comes with an adapter that allows the use of the G25 wheels with XBox, too, which allows the same hardware to work with both PC and XBox.)
Attached Images   
Old 04-15-2010, 11:21 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

Holy ****. That is just awesome.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:21 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

What load cell are you talking about for the brake pedal?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Cheater...
Old 04-15-2010, 11:35 AM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow I have a swivel chair from target.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I use a wooden chair as my swivel chair rolls all over the place and sometimes without warning drops me from the highest setting down to a munchkin height...
Old 04-15-2010, 11:53 AM
johnclay
Advanced

I'm on a dining room chair, and my pedals keep slipping underneath the computer desk so I have to drag them out every couple of laps with my toes. I gots to do something.....
Old 04-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnclay
I'm on a dining room chair, and my pedals keep slipping underneath the computer desk so I have to drag them out every couple of laps with my toes. I gots to do something.....
Same as me John! I got a strip of old low pile carpet and it goes from my under my chair to (under) my pedals so we stay in position..
Old 04-15-2010, 12:54 PM
JustinL
Drifting

My setup looks a lot like Gary M's. I have the g25 wheel and my pedals are still in the case and on the carpet. I'm using the seat out of my 951. I also have the Bodnar USB cable and Andy Pastore's load cell for the brake pedal.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JustinL
I also have the Bodnar USB cable and Andy Pastore's load cell for the brake pedal.
What do those do and where is there info on them (buying, etc.). Do they really make a noticeable difference?

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:27 PM
JustinL
Drifting

http://www.leobodnar.com/

http://apelectrix.com/

The bodnar box increases the resolution of the pedals and gives you the ability to adjust the sensitivity and ranges. The load cell changes the pedal to respond to the force you are applying to it instead of pedal travel.

I thought buying these things would make me faster... it didn't I do think it helps train the brain to use muscle force instead of foot position on the brakes like in a real car.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:55 PM
GaryM05
Advanced

LOL - thanks for the comments!

I use the same load cell that Justin linked to - you can just barely see it in my setup behind the brake pedal where the gas and clutch have the red spring housing, the load cell has the black mounting piece.

The load cell and Bodnar box make a huge difference, but of the two I would recommend the Bodnar box first, for a couple of reasons. First, it has just as noticeable of an effect on the gas pedal as it does on the brake (which allows for much better throttle modulation), and second, the load cell makes the brake pedal require so much force that you pretty much HAVE to use it in a fixed-mounted configuration, as you would just be pushing the stock G25 pedal box across the floor if you tried to use it in that without at least having something backing it up or holding it in place.

A compromise for the brake would be something like a stiffer spring or piece of rubber in the G25 brake housing - that gives a firmer feel/more resistance to the brake pedal, without changing the fundamental concept that you're still modulating the brakes based on distance rather than pressure. I'll see if I can dig up the link to the G25-specific mod that I previously used for this, before I went to the Pastore load cell.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:43 PM
GaryM05
Advanced

OK, here's the link to the stiffer brake pedal mod that I mentioned earlier. For anyone that doesn't want to deal with a load cell, just combining this with the Bodnar box will make a world of difference.

As for more info on the load cell, like Justin mentioned, it basically translates the amount of force that you're applying to the brake pedal into inputs for the PC, rather than the distance that you're pushing the pedal down, which is what a traditional potentiometer-based setup does. The mod that I linked above is a good compromise between the two - it still uses a pot, but provides greatly increasing resistance the further you push the pedal, which makes it much easier to find the braking threshold and hold it there.

One other thing I'll mention about the G25 pedals is that they were clearly made to support a top mounting solution. The casing for each pedal has 2 pre-threaded holes right from the factory that are not used at all in the stock arrangement in the plastic housing, but which lend themselves very well to a top-mounted configuration. Doing this makes it a lot easier to modulate the pedals, as you can more easily rest/push against them without actually pushing them down.

Quick Reply: Rennlist Iracing