Sponsored by:

Cheating in Club Racing....Why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 05:35 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Just an FYI about the NASA GTS rule concerning dynos. You can use any dyno you want to have your car classified, but the car is to be checked on a Dynojet for any protest or official check. Thus, if your region never dynos anyone, then simply use a mustang dyno to classify your car for the advantage. And yes, it is being done by some.

They take Dyno Dynamics in the SE. Which can be up to 12% lower than a dynojet. But they just threaten that if you get challenged they "could" take you to a dynojet and you "could" be dq'd based on that.

I think the SE should at least be able to get dyno's at the bigger events.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:56 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
Are the DQ'ing the folks at the front of the grid or the back of the grid? I tend to care little about the people behind me that are being DQ'd.
I was one of the drivers that was tagged. I had planned to post my own thread but I thought I would just do it here.

I'd like to apologize for two things then offer some info.

First I'll apologize for causing the caution that cost 2-3 laps in the sprint race. I rarely spin or lose control and have maybe had 5 spins in hundreds of race laps across several years. Bottom line is that I was distracted when I saw Cory pulled over and did not know at the time if he was still moving or if he had hit anything (he had not... just a flat tire.) Sure enough, the car followed my eyes and I pinched the exit. Basic rookie mistake and I oversteered and hooked the car into the tires on the inside. It was a mild impact on driver's right. The car is fine other than a front bumper that was popped off, sheetmetal and a tie rod.

Second, I'll apologize for the car being reclassed. I just bought the car a month ago after trying it out (rental) at VIR. I had not had any work done to the car and frankly didn't look into it that much because this car was just going to be a placeholder for a 997 Cup and I did not want to miss VIR or Road America. Folks that have run with me, ahead of me, beside me, behind me and/or have access to results from years back can vouch that I don't need to cheat to win. Still, the driver is responsible, not the crew or team or prior owner. I'll either continue to run in GTA1 or I will have a PCA Scrutineer examine the car (and publish the findings) to validate that I have done what I need to do to put the car back into GTC3.

As to all the comments I would hear about pulling on 996 or even 997 cup cars.... come on guys, the skill level in the 996 and 997 cup car classes is massivley variant. When you go thru T1 with 5 MPH more than the guy in front of you, or the kink at 15 MPH more, your going to pass them.

Most imporant part of the weekend is that the drivers involved in the accident at the kink are alive. It nearly brought tears to my eyes when I drove by the wreckage and I began saying a few prayers immediately. Seeing another competitor in a mangled car, apparently unconscious, slumped forward....put the weekend into perspective.

Last edited by RSRRacer; 09-08-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-08-2009, 06:03 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great discussion. I don't see anything wrong with pushing the envelope within the rules, as long as you don't break them. You should have seen what used to go on in NHRA Super Stock back in the day, there were guys spending tons of money to max out everything. Consequently there was a huge difference between the winners/ record holders vs the "also ran"s. Not condoning it, just saying that's racin
Old 09-08-2009, 06:06 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it would benefit PCA to contract a portable dyno to show up at the track. Initially this should not be for compliance purposes, but fact finding. The cost of the dyno is offset at the NASA events by racers wanting to check their cars at the track and pay for a reasonably priced pull. As far as accuracy versus other dyno's it really does not matter much if all podium cars are checked at the same time. I had to wait some 40mins while other cars were loaded and unloaded on the dyno during an event.

Larry brings up a valid point. There is an enormous incentive for shops to produce/tune fast(er) cars that consistently podium. I am sure most shops prefer to maximize their efforts by following the guidelines and getting every ounce they can out of the rules, but it does make the alternative tempting.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:38 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
It depends on what is being checked.
say: displacement, compression, and to see if a valve job was done?
Old 09-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
say: displacement, compression, and to see if a valve job was done?
Cams, type of pistons would be something to note also...
Old 09-08-2009, 06:46 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by bobt993
I think it would benefit PCA to contract a portable dyno to show up at the track. Initially this should not be for compliance purposes, but fact finding. The cost of the dyno is offset at the NASA events by racers wanting to check their cars at the track and pay for a reasonably priced pull. As far as accuracy versus other dyno's it really does not matter much if all podium cars are checked at the same time. I had to wait some 40mins while other cars were loaded and unloaded on the dyno during an event.
Just to throw this out there... How would dyno results be interpreted in PCA? Is it that bad that a fresh blue-printed motor provides an edge to a car in a given class? If so, then how do you account for the edge provided by a better suspension set-up? I always wondered how the dyno thing makes sense given that the motor is one component (albeit a large one) of performance....
Old 09-08-2009, 06:46 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Then you've got good people running in your class because they are routinely bumping 2-3 GTC3 cars. I'm thinking about getting some ".8" stickers made up for some people to put on the end of their "GTC3" class stickers....
LOL!!!!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:04 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Just to throw this out there... How would dyno results be interpreted in PCA? Is it that bad that a fresh blue-printed motor provides an edge to a car in a given class? If so, then how do you account for the edge provided by a better suspension set-up? I always wondered how the dyno thing makes sense given that the motor is one component (albeit a large one) of performance....
And what about Zmax?

My opinions are worth the price paid for them which ain't much but the fastest drivers I've seen are doing it with car setup and skill. Look at what Paolo has done after having his car fixed. You could tell that he had the skill by watching the prefix video.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:08 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
And what about Zmax?

Exactly. That's the point. What about removing the wipers, taping the front hood, running with an open airbox and more aerodynamic yet legal front bumper cover? How can all the things that can be done by one and not the others be taken into consideration when determining a car's class in the dyno world?
Old 09-08-2009, 07:14 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 661 Likes on 334 Posts

totally agree.

Here's the problem: in PCA, we've gotten soooo far from stock and still calling them stock class cars. Did a stock '88 911 come with JRZ's and cambar plates? No. then why are they allowed in Stock? Stock should be stock, how it came from the factory with safety equipment added. any modification bumps up a class....ok, so most people now would be up a class. So what? you would all be racing together.

This is why I race in GT....so few silly rules except for this tire thing....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 09-08-2009, 07:50 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fred, good question. The reality as Bob has suggested is that there are too many rules and attempts to level the playing field. How does a dyno help? HP/wt ratios would be bracketed better. If you make everything free but tire types and the ratio it makes for closer racing. Typically cars fit into certain brackets with little changes to make the ratio closer to your target. Dropping 50 to 75 lbs out of a car is reasonable. Or running 100 lbs of ballast to move a class if your really heavy has very little financial hit.

In an effort to make the classes more competitive the reverse has happened. Developing/balancing a "stock" engine is not cheap. Installing a top rate suspension improves handling, but requires a lot more skill than an extra 30hp does. A dyno pull would certain provide a better understanding of how accurate the factory published hp is to real life especially on the newer cars that are restricted by noise, emissions etc from the CATS and exhaust systems.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

It's not Just HP, the ratio between HP and weight. You have a stronger engine, you run more weight. Little stuff is little stuff, let's get the stuff that matters taken care of first. Of course, things like brakes and gears come into play then.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:02 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,336 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
The stuff with kids drives me crazy, infusing them with the absence of character before they have a chance to choose that path themselves! I have kids in athletics, and I often wonder what would happen if they started testing for performance enhancing drugs and hormones. I have no direct knowledge that it goes on; but if you look at parental behavior and motivations, it's hard to conclude that it does not take place. People have become obsessed with "positioning" their kids in sports, as if (1) everyone can get a scholarship to college, and (2) every family will need a scholarship to put their kids through college.
I echo what ltc said about cheating in the kid kart ranks. But usually the kid doesn't even know. It's the dads that are telling the engine builders to advance the timing or other.

The kid kart ranks are the worse because you have a group of parents that want there kid to win at any cost. As the kid gets older and moves up the ranks in classes, there seems to be less of it or better ways to conceil it. The fuel additives are usually real hard to detect.

When I raced, a competitor that was right behind me in 2nd didn't pass fuel tech and was DQed for a heat race. The next race he was 1/2 lap behind me. This time his fuel passed tech. The problem with this on site testing is that if you really wanted to suspend the competitor for cheating when it comes to something like fuel, a protest would involve impound and outside lab testing rather than the on site testing etc. etc. Certainly not worth the trouble at the amatuer ranks.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:02 PM
FredC
Drifting

I am not saying that I disagree with the dyno thing, but to me it is like some recent rules proposal about camber plates. Say we require dyno figures for classifying cars, what's the next thing that pca will mandate or try to regulate? Where does it end? And the adding balast thing doesn't work really because power is power and once you are up to speed you will go faster with the stronger motor and higher weight (ceteris paribus).

Quick Reply: Cheating in Club Racing....Why?