Sponsored by:

Cheating in Club Racing....Why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:51 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cheating in Club Racing....Why?

We're not racing for a living... We're not racing for life or death....

We're racing because of the competition. If people don't want to compete fairly then find some other venue to pursue. The number of people who are now routinely getting popped for non-legal cars in GTC3 is ridiculous.

Last edited by PedroNole; 09-08-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

This is why a lot of folks may be gravitating towards NASA: simple hp/weight classification formula. Do people still cheat? Yes....because many people are little ****bags. But there's less of it in NASA, I believe. That's life in a society that refuses to make moral judgements or teach kids how to do same.

And yes, all cheaters who are caught should get an automatic 13.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
This is why a lot of fol;ks may be gravitating towards NASA: simple hp/weight classification formula. Do people still cheat? Yes....because many people are little ****bags. But there's less of it in NASA, I believe. That's life in a society that refuses to make moral judgements or teach kids how to do same.

And yes, all cheaters who are caught should get an automatic 13.

This was the primary reason for my choice to set my car up for NASA. Any engine you want as long as you fit the weight/hp rules of your class. And you have to have weight and dyno sheets to prove it. No BS.

Buds of mine who race in PCA complain all the time about cheater turbos, etc. Total BS, IMO.

C.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Don't be so sure that cheating isn't rampant in NASA GTS, especially in the SE where they do not dyno or even weigh the cars. Your only option is to protest a competitor
Old 09-08-2009, 11:19 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,622 Likes on 2,308 Posts

some ppl have no integrity.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:29 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Was wondering what people in GTC3 have been caught doing? Also, I think if you're caught "intentionally" cheating, you should be suspended for a year. As for what constitutes "intentional," I would leave that to the discretion of the stewards.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What facts do you have about cheating in PCA? There are any number of reasons a car may be found out of compliance with the rules, and intentional cheating is only one of them.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No different than most everywhere else in life.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:37 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
No different than most everywhere else in life.
What he said. ^^^^^^ Humans is humans.

Working Tech helping the Scruts for many years put some racers in a poor light for me. The key for keeping CR in a good light was to differentiate between the good guys and the cheaters. I would not say it is so widespread as to ruin the racing but there is some. As Glen said some DQ are not intentional asn many are for going under weight and the like. Long time ago I watched a motor get DQd and watching the owner I got the feeling that he had no idea his motor was not kosher. He looked 50/50 mad at his shop and embarased. He was not out there pulling everyone on the straights or moping the class. He was just another happy racer. Who knows?
Old 09-08-2009, 11:56 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In stock classes, there's nothing more obvious than having a car that should have the same HP as yours pull several lengths on a straight. It's not subtle, and doesn't take long to figure out.

Maybe the driver knows, maybe he thinks his shop gave him a really great legal engine. Its hard to tell. Its also hard for the scruts to sort out. Talk to the scruts privately and they will tell you that there are guys they are 'watching' over several races to gather evidence.

FWIW, the 944Cup rules include dyno testing and technical inspection in impound. This has caught a few that I know of, and probably a few more as well.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:00 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bauerjab
Was wondering what people in GTC3 have been caught doing? Also, I think if you're caught "intentionally" cheating, you should be suspended for a year. As for what constitutes "intentional," I would leave that to the discretion of the stewards.
How about tossing a few sand bags under the seat on the way to impound? One of the most visible and winning guys in the SE did that a few years ago, I followed him to see why he was not going directly to impound and notified the scruts to look under the seat.

Ironic that he STILL did not make weight, but I think he should have gotten a 13/13 for that (maybe he did, I don't know).
Old 09-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
How about tossing a few sand bags under the seat on the way to impound? One of the most visible and winning guys in the SE did that a few years ago, I followed him to see why he was not going directly to impound and notified the scruts to look under the seat.

Ironic that he STILL did not make weight, but I think he should have gotten a 13/13 for that (maybe he did, I don't know).
Classy.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
What facts do you have about cheating in PCA? There are any number of reasons a car may be found out of compliance with the rules, and intentional cheating is only one of them.
I have personally seen PCA cheaters 1st hand. Most with stock 944 Turbo housings and custom internals (vane modifications, lightweight components, etc)...

Others have had stock looking chips with custom encoded code. The list goes on and on.

C.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've seen the parents of 5 year olds buying illegal Comer 50cc motors (spendinig $3000+ on a $500 motor) in the Kid Kart (5-8 yrs old) class....and it continues from there all the way up to 'adult' classes. Tire prep, $100 for a capful of undetectable fuel additive, motors, custom chassis with false CIK homologation labels....if it's been thought of, it's been tried.

It's motorsports after all...there is a 'rich' heritage.

If you can convince someone they can gain an advantage (perceived or actual), then they are going to do it.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Lemming
Don't be so sure that cheating isn't rampant in NASA GTS, especially in the SE where they do not dyno or even weigh the cars. Your only option is to protest a competitor
True. Other than racers providing the forms not much else they can do I guess.

C.

Quick Reply: Cheating in Club Racing....Why?