Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 01:38 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Funny thing was, at least on the cars I maintained, was that once we removed the non legal items, the drivers finished just the same. If they were the top 1-3 finishers, they stayed there. If they were the bottom end of finishers, they stayed there too, lol.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Henriksen
This is an unfortunate topic.

If only there was a racing series where the engines were sealed, and the transmissions were sealed, and -- heck -- even the shocks were sealed! It wouldn't stop cheating entirely, but it sure would limit the costs of trying to keep up with the field.
Isn't that what Spec Miata does? Rumor has it that the top guys buy 8-10 motors, dyno them all, keep the best and sell the rest.... not that it's cheating.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Henriksen
This is an unfortunate topic.

If only there was a racing series where the engines were sealed, and the transmissions were sealed, and -- heck -- even the shocks were sealed! It wouldn't stop cheating entirely, but it sure would limit the costs of trying to keep up with the field.
VW Jetta TDI Cup?
Old 09-08-2009, 01:55 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Locally we have no 13 rule. Weight in both SCCA and Conference is for the top 3 finishers per class only... if you are 4th it is wise to weigh anyway just in case. There is no dyno at the track at all, and inspections would only occur should another racer file a protest. Heck in SCCA the scruts actually ask the driver what their weight limit is... they don't look it up or have any clue what it should be. Conference at least issues stickers with class weights on them that must be on the car.

It is certainly a tough call... I don't know about probation for the first offense... DQ would seem bad enough, with maybe a log book note about what happened for the next time around. Multiple infractions would perhaps justify that to me.

Then again, I'm slow and my car is heavy so...I doubt there is any reason to protest me anyway.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I think part of the problem is the way we all came up through the system. You get a bunch of guys doing DE's in cars that aren't within the rules and then they decide to go racing. Are they going to take that knife edged crank out? Of course not. I think there are different kinds of cheaters - intentional cheaters who are looking for an edge and should be punted, a bunch of guys who know their cars aren't legal because they built them for DE and don't want to pay to put them back (or think they can get away with it) and a bunch of guys who have no idea they have a cheater.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:05 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
How about the Good Cheaters?
To tip the scales tip well at the scales.

Just a Bad Joke folks!

The sandbag post reminded of a driver that removed his spare tire during an early enduro pitstop and was noted reinstalling it on the grid after the race on the way to the scales. He was light by about one spare tire. Doh!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
VW Jetta TDI Cup?
If you're under 26 and make it through the Voodoo selection process.

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Isn't that what Spec Miata does? Rumor has it that the top guys buy 8-10 motors, dyno them all, keep the best and sell the rest.... not that it's cheating.
He's probably talking about Spec Racer Ford.

Spec Miata is most definitely not a 'spec' class. It's a similar class. The front runners are spending a decent chunk of change on an engine for SM, nothing near what a cup car engine costs, but still 8-10K for a car of that value is pretty high.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would imagine that one way to cut down on illegal engines (given the costs for proper scrutineering....FWIW kart engines are torn down and returned in a box after a final.....) would be institute a "claimer rule".

Anyone on the grid can buy a podim engine for a predetermined cost...after all, if it's a stock class, an engine is an engine.
It's amazing how well that worked in karting...granted, the engines are only $5K or so.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:21 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
and a bunch of guys who have no idea they have a cheater.
It's scary how many of them are out there.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:22 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

fwiw, better Gears can look like more motor.

in the spec rx7 class they created a lollipop to check the size of the intakes. so the cheaters stopped grinding the intake ports.

So, what they did next was take mazda 323 gearbox internals and put them in the rx7 box, so 2nd and 3rd pulled a lot more than the stock box.

That was worth about 2 car lengths at sebring back straight.

I'd like to see a public posting of tech violations. The only way to stop this public humiliation.

That and add a large red capital "C" to the rear of the car for next 2 races...
Old 09-08-2009, 02:32 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
and a bunch of guys who have no idea they have a cheater.
This year at the Glen's club race was rather eye opening in that area. Many D and E cars (I think 8 to 12) got bumped up because they we running bump steer kits...
Old 09-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
This year at the Glen's club race was rather eye opening in that area. Many D and E cars (I think 8 to 12) got bumped up because they we running bump steer kits...
But does that really give any substantial advantage? I can understand (but not agree with) one long time (like running G/D for 15+ years!) D guy getting bumped up a class for having SC flares on an early car, which allows bigger rear tires (and I think he should be given the opportunity to run stock tire sizes if he already hasn't and grandfather him back in, but that's just MO).. but a bump steer spacer?

I think more should be done with engines and transmission/diffs myself.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:47 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
This is why a lot of folks may be gravitating towards NASA: simple hp/weight classification formula. Do people still cheat? Yes....because many people are little ****bags. But there's less of it in NASA, I believe. That's life in a society that refuses to make moral judgements or teach kids how to do same.

And yes, all cheaters who are caught should get an automatic 13.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
I LOVE NASA just for that reason ! Check my weight , check my hp and I'm either legal or not, very simple formula ! Plus it leaves me the ability to do whatever I want to the car as long as I meet those 2 factors.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
We're not racing for a living... We're not racing for life or death....
We're racing for something more important than both. Pride.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:50 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
IMO that is a failure of race stewardship, not a failure of rules.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
+1

Quick Reply: Cheating in Club Racing....Why?