Sponsored by:

Cheating in Club Racing....Why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:06 PM
fapena
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mo,

I saw you this weekend, but never had a chance to say Hi!. Yes, I sold the GT3 and got a Cup car. Waaaay more fun but also waaaaay more expensive. You should get a Cup car so we can "relive" the chasing we had going between your GT3 and mine. Those were really fun laps...

Hope you did well this weekend.

FAP
Old 09-10-2009, 01:49 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by fapena
Thank you all (Peter, Chris and Jerry) for your kind words. Sometimes the stars are aligned and everything clicks.

This weekend was "my weekend". I am sure I'll be chasing some of your asses around the track at some other weekends. God knows that after this year I have plenty of practice at the chasing game and trying to understand where to find 2-3 seconds in a lap to get close, not even beat, to somebody's time....

An remember that the faster we all get, the more fun we will have and the closer to the limit the races will be... Doesn't get any better than that...

FAP
Great drive! Proves yet again, You dont have to have the 03-05 Cup to win/be quick...it's still all about the driver! Congrats on a great drive at a great drack awesome to watch! Deep braking award goes to Jerry Greene for his move in 5 and Pat Kelly for multiple moves into 5 and 8, way to go guys, awesome!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:29 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
Great drive! Proves yet again, You dont have to have the 03-05 Cup to win/be quick...it's still all about the driver! Congrats on a great drive at a great drack awesome to watch! Deep braking award goes to Jerry Greene for his move in 5 and Pat Kelly for multiple moves into 5 and 8, way to go guys, awesome!
^^^^That is what it is all about.^^^^^

Cheating is human but good driving is divine.

True respect does not coexist with even the slightest wiff of cheating.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:17 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

the logical extension of hyper-vigilant tech, sealed engines, spec tires/fuel/coolant fluid etc is pure arrive-and-drive programs a la Skip Barber/Bertil Roos/Jim Russell And yet participation numbers in those series are a small fraction of amateur racing.

Its interesting that those options do exist for those who want to isolate the driver as the sole variable, and relatively few racers go that route...
Old 09-12-2009, 01:18 AM
johnjohn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve been following this thread and finally feel the need to really just say that with the rules constantly changing and evolving, the lap records will inevitably be broke by a few tenths or two at a time or even four, we have to expect it and except it, period!
Old 09-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Garylimey
Racer

At my 1st PCA Club Race at Limerock this year I remember in my buddy Bico's class that the scuits moved a Boxster from F to G class after finding the wrong chip in the car. Same thing happened at the clash at the Glen to with some Turbo's. However what if you buy a car and it has the wrong chip in it and you didn't know?
My car came with a f/g Turbo Cup hood, heavy for f/g and I was at the right weight but it turned out to be ilegal in my class.

Btw f/g Turbo Cup Hood now for sale
Old 09-12-2009, 05:05 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Garylimey
At my 1st PCA Club Race at Limerock this year I remember in my buddy Bico's class that the scuits moved a Boxster from F to G class after finding the wrong chip in the car. Same thing happened at the clash at the Glen to with some Turbo's. However what if you buy a car and it has the wrong chip in it and you didn't know?
My car came with a f/g Turbo Cup hood, heavy for f/g and I was at the right weight but it turned out to be ilegal in my class.

If you never drove the car and showed up, then maybe you did not know what chip was in there, but otherwise it should be apparent after some track time. It also is your responsibility to check out your new purchase and know what is in it.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Garylimey

Originally Posted by bobt993
If you never drove the car and showed up, then maybe you did not know what chip was in there, but otherwise it should be apparent after some track time. It also is your responsibility to check out your new purchase and know what is in it.
BTW, that was (and still is) my car. Contrary to popular belief, PCA did not find a wrong chip in the car - their software was unable to verify the chip that was in the car even though the PST2 verified it as being correct and the chip was reflashed in front of them. Since they could not get a reading, the steward DQ'd it, and since I still wanted to run the sprint race, I moved it up to G class.

If you look at the PCA results and mylaps, you'll see that the DQ was overturned and my results reinstated.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:57 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Brian,

I hope you know my comment had nothing to do with your situation. I have seen plenty of cars campaigned by new drivers that state they have know idea what is under the hood. We had a GTS guy show up with a car dyno sheet a little over 200hp and then advertise the car for sale not too long after with a chip making over 270(non-turbo car). Very different situation than yours.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993
Brian,

I hope you know my comment had nothing to do with your situation. I have seen plenty of cars campaigned by new drivers that state they have know idea what is under the hood. We had a GTS guy show up with a car dyno sheet a little over 200hp and then advertise the car for sale not too long after with a chip making over 270(non-turbo car). Very different situation than yours.
I know it, and I too hate that people complain that they have a new car so it shouldn't be their fault. I believe that the car owner is responsible for what's in it.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheating is not always about trying to get a one up one the other guy, sometimes it is about just trying to keep up. The problem with the PCA rules has been they are too strict to accomodate the multiple cars and years in a single class. Why is it that a 99 or 2004 996 can run a LSD but if other years run it, they are cheating? How about gearing? In prepared, a GT3 engine/trans based car could run a different R&P, so could a 996 except that no such piece existed? Many of us "cheated" and ran grand-am gears so we would be able to be even. There was no advantage, just a lack there-of for the other guy. These days, I am all about simple. Go NASA. PCA rules are too complex. If I had a blank checkbook, I guarantee you I could build a completely legal car that was MUCH faster than the cars the "cheaters" are driving. Make it simple and fun.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
Why is it that a 99 or 2004 996 can run a LSD but if other years run it, they are cheating?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the rules, but I think if LSD is available for one year, then all years (within the class) of the same model are allowed to run it.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:46 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

I guess cheating on a club level is part of the learning process should you get either good enough or a bunch of money to go pro where cheating becomes a ..... "competitive advantage"?
Old 09-18-2009, 12:07 AM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
In prepared, a GT3 engine/trans based car could run a different R&P, so could a 996 except that no such piece existed? Many of us "cheated" and ran grand-am gears so we would be able to be even. There was no advantage, just a lack there-of for the other guy.
http://californiamotorsports.net/fea...20products.htm
Old 09-18-2009, 01:25 AM
magnetic1
Racer

Just read through this thread and too many posts to try to quote in regards to NASA GTS. Ive been running NASA-MA GTS for years now. Dyno at Summit Point and VIR are pretty common as is dyno at NASA-Great Lakes region. Scales are also present at every event.

Tim: Not sure why NASA-SE is so lax, but that lets me come to RA in December and cheat All you need to do to get compliance down there is to get a few guys and maybe some help from NASA-SE to hire a dyno operator to come. Maybe even work a deal out to repay some of you guys back if DE guys, or other racers pay to get dynos. Make it a surprise with no announcements prior. That will single out those suspected cheaters.

Hell, I was being dyno'd at almost every event last year. Everytime you pass, it just legitimizes your win that much more. I only failed once, but that was at MidOhio and apparently the dyno read high. Like Jay Matus (I assume 1vikingracer is Jay :P ) says, building to the limit is key. I failed the MidO dyno by 4rwhp. Ive since learned that if it is a big event like Nationals or Im going to another region, I get a dyno at the event.

Also like mentioned, I dont think anyone really has built a GTS car to the limit. It seems there are crossovers from BMW/PCA.

There may be many reasons for people to cheat, but the best is when you are accused or thought to be cheating and you pass the dyno. It legitimizes your win and makes you feel that much better!

With all that said, come on out guys! NASA-MA event at VIR is coming up. 10/10 weekend. Come have some fun in GTS:

https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/981

Quick Reply: Cheating in Club Racing....Why?