Sponsored by:

Cheating in Club Racing....Why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
True. Other than racers providing the forms not much else they can do I guess.

C.
There is much, much more that they could do but choose not to. I've been racing with GTS in the SE for 2 years, have never been weighed and I've been on the podium multiple times. Go to just about any other region and they weigh all the time, not to mention occasionally having a dyno on site.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
There is much, much more that they could do but choose not to. I've been racing with GTS in the SE for 2 years, have never been weighed and I've been on the podium multiple times. Go to just about any other region and they weigh all the time, not to mention occasionally having a dyno on site.
IMO that is a failure of race stewardship, not a failure of rules.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I've seen the parents of 5 year olds buying illegal Comer 50cc motors (spendinig $3000+ on a $500 motor) in the Kid Kart (5-8 yrs old) class....and it continues from there all the way up to 'adult' classes. Tire prep, $100 for a capful of undetectable fuel additive, motors, custom chassis with false CIK homologation labels....if it's been thought of, it's been tried.

It's motorsports after all...there is a 'rich' heritage.

If you can convince someone they can gain an advantage (perceived or actual), then they are going to do it.
The stuff with kids drives me crazy, infusing them with the absence of character before they have a chance to choose that path themselves! I have kids in athletics, and I often wonder what would happen if they started testing for performance enhancing drugs and hormones. I have no direct knowledge that it goes on; but if you look at parental behavior and motivations, it's hard to conclude that it does not take place. People have become obsessed with "positioning" their kids in sports, as if (1) everyone can get a scholarship to college, and (2) every family will need a scholarship to put their kids through college.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:31 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default NASA weigh in

I raced at Gingerman with NASA this weekend and was weighed three times. After both races and one qualification run.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
In stock classes, there's nothing more obvious than having a car that should have the same HP as yours pull several lengths on a straight. It's not subtle, and doesn't take long to figure out.
I used to think the same when I started racing as there were several people who would pull me in a straight coming out of a slow corner. Now, I look back and see that I was just slow back then.

To be honest, I don't think there is that much cheating going on in PCA among the podium winners. And, if it is happening, it's not giving them some insurmountable advantage. I know that my car is completely legal and everybody that I race against from E class to H class don't seem to be gaining some massive advantage on the straights (at least, that which shouldn't be there - e.g., H class pulls away but not absurdly so)

With that being said, I think that any time a class record is broken, the car should be immediately sent to the impound for inspection.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman
I raced at Gingerman with NASA this weekend and was weighed three times. After both races and one qualification run.
That is the way it should be!
Old 09-08-2009, 12:45 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Cheating in Club Racing....Why?
Same reason why some guys take Extenze and Enzyte
Old 09-08-2009, 12:45 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
I used to think the same when I started racing as there were several people who would pull me in a straight coming out of a slow corner. Now, I look back and see that I was just slow back then.
+1. Same here. I think there should be more weighing after qualifying and racing and more in-depth scrutineering for class winners.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:51 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I've seen the parents of 5 year olds buying illegal Comer 50cc motors (spendinig $3000+ on a $500 motor) in the Kid Kart (5-8 yrs old) class....and it continues from there all the way up to 'adult' classes. Tire prep, $100 for a capful of undetectable fuel additive, motors, custom chassis with false CIK homologation labels....if it's been thought of, it's been tried.

It's motorsports after all...there is a 'rich' heritage.

If you can convince someone they can gain an advantage (perceived or actual), then they are going to do it.
that is one of the reasons why i am not sure i want to have my son racing karts. I saw this at some stupid club racing in a parking lot where parents did this with kid karts.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
+1. Same here. I think there should be more weighing after qualifying and racing and more in-depth scrutineering for class winners.
I think what would also help is if they publish what was checked. I know that your car used to get checked quite often, and it would help people realize that someone is actually just a good driver if they saw the list of items that were checked on the car.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:11 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
I think what would also help is if they publish what was checked. I know that your car used to get checked quite often, and it would help people realize that someone is actually just a good driver if they saw the list of items that were checked on the car.
That would be great.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:17 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I spent a lot of time making sure my car was legal, having it dyno'd the week of the event and checking and re-checking my weight after modifications (luckily I have scales). I was disappointed that they did not have a dyno. I was attracted to NASA GTS specifically because of the level playing field and a national championship event.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
The key for keeping CR in a good light was to differentiate between the good guys and the cheaters.
How about the Good Cheaters?
Old 09-08-2009, 01:29 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
What facts do you have about cheating in PCA? There are any number of reasons a car may be found out of compliance with the rules, and intentional cheating is only one of them.
Having maintained many pca club cars that had been built by other shops, yea, cheating is definitely out there. Some had serious engine modifications (knife edged cranks, ported heads, cheater turbos, etc), others were much more minor. Some guys finished well, some guys always finished last. Also having served as the local tech to the national scrutineers at local club races, I have seen quite a few things come through impound, lol at the races themselves. I have seen some national scruts let a lot of things slide past, and others throw the hammer down on some really minor infractions.

But with that being said, I don't think cheating is limited to any one organization. I have seen it in NASA as well. If you have competition, some people's egos are going to get the best of them and they will find any way to better their chances of winning.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an unfortunate topic.

If only there was a racing series where the engines were sealed, and the transmissions were sealed, and -- heck -- even the shocks were sealed! It wouldn't stop cheating entirely, but it sure would limit the costs of trying to keep up with the field.

Quick Reply: Cheating in Club Racing....Why?