Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My PCA region threw me out!! ADVISE PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 656 Likes on 204 Posts

DE?? Point by?? ....the whole thing is just a bunch of crap....I mean come on we all drove to the track on the highway passing people with out a point by..!! we all made it and no one crashed..right??

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 06-24-2009, 12:20 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
... yes I close fast yes I am invisible behind people and dont get point byes...
Are you saying you actually pass without point by's? Ummm, that would certainly explain why you were banned. EVERY car club would ban you for that behavior at a DE.

A lot of talk here about "agressive" DE driving. Come on, there's no such thing. Either you're following the rules, or you're not: 1. Leave sufficient distance between you and cars in front. 2. Don't pass until the point-by. 3. Pass in the permitted zones. If you repeatedly ignore those rules, you get banned.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:27 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

Tom,

NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED!

It's PCA's loss. Now you have more time to race with someone else. You don't need PCA they need you.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:27 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom-

Sorry to just be chiming in at page 6 but here's my .02.

1) I don't drive at DE's. If you're serious about racing, go racing, don't go to DE's. If you do go to instruct, make it a social thing and just instruct. I've gone to two DE's recently and just instructed. There are PLENTY of racing dates available.

2) As Geoffrey said, nothing really good comes from taking this online. I know it seems like you're "bringing it to poker night" when you post it on here and you think your buddies are gonna gather around you and say "yeah, f-'em." A few do but look what happens when one leaves the room, picks up the phone and calls the CTI.... Beware of faceless friends online....

3) Find another avenue for driving if you're not racing and not invited to Suncoast Region. Go to Chin, Gold Coast, NASA DE's, etc. Forget Suncoast. I have a particular group myself that I just don't care to spend much time with as well. My solution....I don't spend time there. Go seek friends elsewhere. Now...If you have to be talked to at one of these other places as well, all of us on here will know for sure that it's the knucklehead behind the wheel...

4) "Old" guys (as I'm becoming every day) are people too... I think some of guys on here that took offense to the "elderly" comment could teach us all a lot about race craft.

Last edited by PedroNole; 06-24-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:42 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Are you saying you actually pass without point by's? Ummm, that would certainly explain why you were banned. EVERY car club would ban you for that behavior at a DE.

Actually, no; some clubs/run groups allow open passing at DEs. I've run with Tom at such venues and he's always been curtious. I'm sure that's not what he's saying though. I think he meant to say that he often doesn't get anticipatory point-bys because his closing speed is so great.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:49 AM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, that is what he meant. I can attest that there are no passes without point-bys. I think in the regular DE groups like PCA people arent used to running with fully prepped race cars and arent looking to predict giving a pass soon enough. Me on the other hand running a miata, I've definitely learned to start preparing point-bys over a straightaway away.

Now in the 911 that's a different story
Old 06-24-2009, 12:58 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well not anymore as I am now banned for life for posting this as a topic of discussion on this site, so big brother is watching and someone else on this site may be getting banned from their region as we speak

I thought they were a little unfair before but really BANNED FOR LIFE CAUSE I POSTED THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Absolutely ridiculous.. Tom, move on, who cares... Definitely sucks since it's a long establishment with them, but after all of this I would never go back to their event if I were you, F em... Come to VIR this weekend
Old 06-24-2009, 01:13 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Being banned for airing the subject ... poor form.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:14 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A lot of talk here about "agressive" DE driving. Come on, there's no such thing. Either you're following the rules, or you're not: 1. Leave sufficient distance between you and cars in front. 2. Don't pass until the point-by. 3. Pass in the permitted zones. If you repeatedly ignore those rules, you get banned.
I can't remember the last time I ran a DE that didn't have an open session. Do we usually give a point (and a lift) out of courtesy? I sure try to, always. But as usual there are the mirror blind who just won't/are incapable of doing so. So it's nice to know I can pass where my experience allows me to safely execute one. Never had a problem that comes to mind.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

not all DE are like that.
many groups have open passing group where you dont need point by and you can pass anywhere. of course, you need to use your brain, certain turns are not meant to be passing zones.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:24 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
not all DE are like that.
many groups have open passing group where you dont need point by and you can pass anywhere. of course, you need to use your brain, certain turns are not meant to be passing zones.
So trying you on the run up to 5 last Friday was iffy????
Old 06-24-2009, 04:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

^ dont worry, i trust you enough to know you will stay on your side of the track and not track out into me. there are others who would dive bomb me and then track out into my side!
Old 06-24-2009, 07:24 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought about this discussion today during my morning walk and this whole "passing zone" BS is making me laugh a little inside.

A race track is by definition a passing zone.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:10 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No Eric I was being sarcastic!!! of course I dont pass without a point bye and I ALWAYS FOLLOW THE RULES!! that is why this IS BS. I am now not allowed to teach for this region because of my atititude??? I have the best most positive atititude of ANYONE.

kick me out for anything but dont tell me I am a "bad" instructor.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:17 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Actually yes it does come as a shock!! I was banned for life after just being told I could instruct and drive this weekend because I posted this on rennlist??

WTF????
Sheesh....
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: My PCA region threw me out!! ADVISE PLEASE!