Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My PCA region threw me out!! ADVISE PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:26 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My PCA region threw me out!! ADVISE PLEASE!

We have a two day PCA DE at Sebring THIS weekend. I get a call late today from the very recently appointed CTI of our region (Suncoast) who begins the conversation with "Tom we decided not to let you instruct for our region anymore"
Some backround then advise would be nice...
I have been a member for close to fifteen years. An instructor for years as well as a Club racer. Every student eval on me has been glowing. In 15 years of events only had ONE incident with a wall and myself after car in front of me blew an engine and left an oil patch. NEVER car to car contact.

Since the new elderly CTI took over the corner workers where instructed to tighten up the rules and try to avoid all incidents. this means places where you could start to accelerate towards a straight and passing zone where shortened up and black flags thrown more frequently.

first event since new guy took over a 20yo new instructor complained to him that I was driving aggressively? ok enough said about that.
second event I repetitively got black flagged at different places on the track and was just told that in general I was driving too aggressive and asked to leave, ok so I finished with my student and left.

this is the third event of new CTI guy and I was asked not to instruct. this is pretty bad because we are TWENTY INSTRUCTORS DOWN.

he told me that he and "some other instructors" whom he would not metion said I was on the bubble because of the last two events and the straw that broke the camels back was he saw my youtube video of me crashing with a Ferrari and so that was it.

well he and they thought that crash happened at a DE!! he didnt even know it was a RACE, nor did he know my ABS unit was found to be bad or that I help pay for the Ferrari's repairs.

after I corrected him about the crash it almost sounded like he felt bad and then said well you could come and instruct but not drive your car!!

I declined to do that and said I would come and instruct and drive very slowly.

he said I was not the kind of example the club wanted as an instructor and I would be let to instruct this weekend on double secret probation. if any little thing happened I would be thrown out.

Is this a little harsh? the only events I currently do now are races. the only reason I go to the PCA events is the good ole I like to give back and I like to teach. I also have alot of friends in the club I enjoy (believe it or not)

I have discussed this with at least 15 other PCA instructors and NONE of them herd about this nor did they agree with it.

sorry so long I would like advise if this was one of you guys

do I not ever go to a PCA event to teach again. would you even want to drive with a group that several guys have an out for you? have you had another instructor complain to the CTI instead of man to man discussion??

what say you?

Last edited by tkerrmd; 06-26-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:40 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Tom,

sounds harsh and guess this will provoke some reaction on this forum. With my sensible head on I would say have a chat with the CTI and invite him out with you for a eval. If he still thinks you are not suited either give it up as a lost cause or consider the fact you may have an issue (after 15 years it would seem unusual) My other head says screw DE and just race!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:43 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom, posts on these forums reveal a lot more about a person than they think. Best I can tell, you're honest, helpful, a good guy...and a class act. Even though we've never met.

From what you describe it's CYA and petty politics at work in your region. I would take the high road and move on. In a sense, Life's About Who You Drive With...

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
would you even want to drive with a group that several guys have an out for you?
...and you just answered your own question!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:49 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Tom you know that I'm not a big fan of our new CTI as well... I don't think they can base anything on something that happened at another event, that is absolutely ridiculous. Our region has become far too political and that is the reason I have stuck to chin events (and soon to be PBOC racing). I have also never heard anything bad from your students, they all seem to think you are a great instructor.

See you next month at PBOC. Try not to wreck me
Old 06-22-2009, 11:52 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Tom,

I would move on. Your openess with the youtube race crash and now this is probably going to work against you. I'd advise to remove this thread as it can only cause problems within your region (if you intend to stay on).

Good luck.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:53 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

PCA region politics can be brutal. Without trying to assign fault or figure out who the true ******** are, my advice can only be: don't be like them and get sucked into it.

Hopefully you have other clubs you can drive with.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:54 PM
chris_v
Instructor

Ive heard that the SE chapter of NASA is really fun...
Old 06-23-2009, 12:05 AM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you should run for region president and oust the CTI.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:08 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Since the new elderly CTI took over the corner workers where instructed to tighten up the rules and try to avoid all incidents. this means places where you could start to accelerate towards a straight and passing zone where shortened up and black flags thrown more frequently.
What do you mean by this?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

The only thing worse than Club Racing BS? DE BS. Stop running DE's and live a much happier life.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:12 AM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
What do you mean by this?
I think he is referring to places like coming out of the carousel at sebring (turn 5), you can't make a pass before the bridge even though some cars with lower power (which wouldn't be his haha) need to use their speed coming out of the corner to overtake faster cars, where now the passing zone starts 200' after the exit.

If that wasn't it then...woops
Old 06-23-2009, 12:13 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Tom,

I would move on. Your openess with the youtube race crash and now this is probably going to work against you. I'd advise to remove this thread as it can only cause problems within your region (if you intend to stay on).

Good luck.
thanks and probably good advise as are the others posted. I will leave the post because I am an honest guy and I have to admit I like to teach and was proud to be a PCA instructor. As always I post so others may see or learn something from some of my misfortunes and act accordingly.

My season is full to the end of the year with race dates anyway so I guess this would have been a nonfactor for me but really kinda felt like the soup **** told me I couldnt instruct anymore and was really disappointed about that

guess my plan will be to go this weekend make it as good an experience for all and then move on, still kinda pisses me off is this a legit move for a regional newbie PCA CTI??
Old 06-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Tom,

Best would be to sit down with the new CTI and ask him what he expects. PCA is trying to reduce the number of incidents at DE. In some regions, DE has turned into wannabe racing - aggressive driving, red mist etc. DE must be safe and fun. If your region is like mine, the safest and by far the most polite run group is Red.

OTOH, racers sometimes forget that the guys they are playing with are uncomfortable with cars following closely, passing with inches to spare - stuff that racers are accustomed to. Occasionally they will forget themselves and scare the beejesus out of lower run groups. I don't know if this is the case, if so, finding what the new CTI's objectives are will at least set some ground rules. If you choose to accept them, then carry on. If not .. well you know what to do
Old 06-23-2009, 12:47 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,400 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
The only thing worse than Club Racing BS? DE BS. Stop running DE's and live a much happier life.
Yeah....or he could just pony up the benjamins and have the guy capped...

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 06-23-2009, 12:49 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yeah....or he could just pony up the benjamins and have the guy capped...
I was quite surprised at just how affordable that option is these days... much cheaper than I would have imagined.

Just sayin.

Quick Reply: My PCA region threw me out!! ADVISE PLEASE!