Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My PCA region threw me out!! ADVISE PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Tom, maybe the key is that you passed "the wrong guy". Does anyone in the exec of SC have an ego problem?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:50 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
kick me out for anything but dont tell me I am a "bad" instructor.
I must have missed the part where they said you were a bad instructor. Seems to me based on your posts with their reasons aside, they were tired of having the same discussions with you.

I have no idea how thing are run down there or the real deal but some aspects of this thread reminds me of a local guy and his run-ins with the group I drive with. Local guy is a good, fast driver and experienced racer with a long history of instructing at DE. He is a fun guy in the paddock and a good guy to go to for advanced instruction. The "brass" and he get along off track. BUT.... Seems every weekend he gets called out for some kind of "WTF were you thinking?!" on track kind of crap. Not little stuff like following close or even bigger stuff like passing without a point. Truly short sighted and/or way the hell off the rules stuff. He was an irritant somehow every weekend. Many a CI had to talk with him. After a while this Good guy became a bit of a joke to the rest for just not getting it. There is a time and place for things. He is a smart guy but for some reason can't seem to be able to understand this. He or the others involved never posted any of this in an open forum and still get along just fine.

My well intended point. If you get the same talk more than once you are not playing well with others in their sandbox. Adjust to the local rules or find another sandbox to play in. As the CI I would have been pissed at your original post and this thread. An open forum is a great place for anyone to post opinions based on the personal ax they want to grind, unknown nuances of the situation be damned. Your original post invites this in droves. Your notation of the CI's "elderly" status in the OP has little positive value and airing face to face grievances in a national forum can't help ether. I have watched your posts evolve from well though out questions as a student and on to an instructor and to racing. Too bad it went this direction.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:40 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
I must have missed the part where they said you were a bad instructor. Seems to me based on your posts with their reasons aside, they were tired of having the same discussions with you.

I have no idea how thing are run down there or the real deal but some aspects of this thread reminds me of a local guy and his run-ins with the group I drive with. Local guy is a good, fast driver and experienced racer with a long history of instructing at DE. He is a fun guy in the paddock and a good guy to go to for advanced instruction. The "brass" and he get along off track. BUT.... Seems every weekend he gets called out for some kind of "WTF were you thinking?!" on track kind of crap. Not little stuff like following close or even bigger stuff like passing without a point. Truly short sighted and/or way the hell off the rules stuff. He was an irritant somehow every weekend. Many a CI had to talk with him. After a while this Good guy became a bit of a joke to the rest for just not getting it. There is a time and place for things. He is a smart guy but for some reason can't seem to be able to understand this. He or the others involved never posted any of this in an open forum and still get along just fine.

My well intended point. If you get the same talk more than once you are not playing well with others in their sandbox. Adjust to the local rules or find another sandbox to play in. As the CI I would have been pissed at your original post and this thread. An open forum is a great place for anyone to post opinions based on the personal ax they want to grind, unknown nuances of the situation be damned. Your original post invites this in droves. Your notation of the CI's "elderly" status in the OP has little positive value and airing face to face grievances in a national forum can't help ether. I have watched your posts evolve from well though out questions as a student and on to an instructor and to racing. Too bad it went this direction.

thanks Kurt you have always been helpful.

I have not been a chronic irritant at the track. I had two times out of hundreds that I was flagged for generic being aggressive and have since toned it down and clearly understood the rules and willing to abide by them.
posting this had no malicious intent and the choice of elderly was a poor one and not meant as an insult.
I air my stuff here because I respect the opinions of people on this forum and learn alot from it good or bad. I seek out and follow constructive critiscism.
My point was that I loss instructing prevliges for minimal stuff and when told ok come and teach and be safe over a phone call with the CI he without a call reversed his discision just because I posted a general topic thread to see peoples opinion on the matter.
this as alot of my other posts was meant to be informative and a learning experience for me and possibly others, and that's really all there is too it, no more no less.

thank you again for your insight.

tom
Old 06-24-2009, 10:50 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Tom,
I mean this politely, but you remind me of the girl who gets kicked off The Bachelor then is so upset about it. She's actually just upset about being rejected, not missing out on more dates with the fake-tanned shallow loser of a guy.

Similarly, you don't seems to need these DE events, so it's no loss.

p.s. +1 on Kurt's comments.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:54 AM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom, were you asked not to instruct or were you banned from attending their DE events?

The comments you've attributed to the CTI seem to indicate that you were simply not invited to instruct with the region, but your comments lead me to believe that you've been told, don't even show up as we aren't going to even allow you to participate in our DE's going forward.

Which is it?

Were you told that you were no longer needed as an instructor or told that you were no longer welcome at DE's run by that region in any capacity whatsoever?
Old 06-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

This would be the point where I wound grab my soapbox and all the "Instructors" that are on my side, and go on strike until the "CTI" is booted.... What good is a DE if you do not have Instructors to teach?
But that is just me....
Old 06-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sorry for your experience Tom. Hopefully you will quickly get past the anger stage, then just shake your head, have a good laugh at them, and move on. Most of us are fortunate to have more groups and venues to run with than money and/or time will allow. Find a group or three that you enjoy and who are positively happy to have you join them. They are out there, and a number of us have done just that. I suspect you will soon be asking yourself "why didn't I do this long ago"?
Old 06-24-2009, 11:12 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BBailey
Tom, were you asked not to instruct or were you banned from attending their DE events?

The comments you've attributed to the CTI seem to indicate that you were simply not invited to instruct with the region, but your comments lead me to believe that you've been told, don't even show up as we aren't going to even allow you to participate in our DE's going forward.

Which is it?

Were you told that you were no longer needed as an instructor or told that you were no longer welcome at DE's run by that region in any capacity whatsoever?
well they said it was instructing, but then initially said ok you can come and instruct but not drive? so I take it that it is me, my car and the driving part. not my instructing abilities.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:16 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Tom, those guys at your PCA region are a bunch of pussies! The CTI is the biggest ***** of all!!!!
There, I said it! You are welcome to run at our region anytime! We are all real men here, and can take "agressive driving" as much as we can dish it out!
Like many have said before, you are a class act, and it's really their loss.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:18 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Plavan
This would be the point where I wound grab my soapbox and all the "Instructors" that are on my side, and go on strike until the "CTI" is booted.... What good is a DE if you do not have Instructors to teach?
But that is just me....

I could do that and many have offered that but that would only hurt the students that want to drive and really wouldnt be good for anyone. I have "learned" from this and what type of environment I can drive my car in and will move on without causing the region any problems. I would have liked a chance to redeem myself and keep my instructor status with my home region but that doesnt seem to be in the cards.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:20 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jbossolo
Tom, those guys at your PCA region are a bunch of pussies! The CTI is the biggest ***** of all!!!!
There, I said it! You are welcome to run at our region anytime! We are all real men here, and can take "agressive driving" as much as we can dish it out!
Like many have said before, you are a class act, and it's really their loss.

I appreciate that and will do!!
Old 06-24-2009, 11:21 AM
DaveM993
Drifting

Originally Posted by jbossolo
Note to self...

Avoid these DE's.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
I could do that and many have offered that but that would only hurt the students that want to drive and really wouldnt be good for anyone. I have "learned" from this and what type of environment I can drive my car in and will move on without causing the region any problems. I would have liked a chance to redeem myself and keep my instructor status with my home region but that doesnt seem to be in the cards.
I understand that- but what happens when one of your students becomes you later on? Or they go after ANOTHER instructor? The CTI has already started a very bad example. See what students and Instructors can look forward to? Sounds like a Dictatorship. Whats next? Will they make everyone take their wings off their cars to slow them down? (I would be OK with that :P )
Old 06-24-2009, 11:29 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave, you sound like you'd do well to avoid them!
BTW in over ten years of DE at our region (over 12 events a year) we've had a grand total of two "incidents" on track. So as you can see, we are not unsafe at all. We are just not a bunch of pussies. If that's who you like to drive with, then stay with them pussies.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:30 AM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bull
Sorry for your experience Tom. Hopefully you will quickly get past the anger stage, then just shake your head, have a good laugh at them, and move on. Most of us are fortunate to have more groups and venues to run with than money and/or time will allow. Find a group or three that you enjoy and who are positively happy to have you join them. They are out there, and a number of us have done just that. I suspect you will soon be asking yourself "why didn't I do this long ago"?
Best advise on D E Events.

The "Club" determines the agenda.

Some clubs are WAY more conserative than others... much depends on their membership and their members driving abilities.

Look around and find a club or two that has more advanced students and allows passing with point bys in the advanced groups.

Chin and a few other clubs should be a better fit for you.

Quick Reply: My PCA region threw me out!! ADVISE PLEASE!