Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To club race or not to club race. all opinions and suggestions welcomed!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 06:05 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

How about a 996 set up for I class. If you don't like it it you could put it back to stock and dispose of it. Right? If you do you just start writing bigger checks. Oh.........And keep the GT3.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarkM
Doug,

Does DeMan have a spare car sitting around that you could rent for a race or two? I hear he builds them from spare parts laying around.

Seriously, why don't you try it a couple of times and then decide what to do with the GT3.
You can rent a car from a number of people, Ernie at Mantis, Paddock, Rick, Body Motion, Farnbacher-loles, Peter Dawes, the boxster spec forum had a guy in VA who was renting Spec boxsters, you still have time to sign up for the Atlanta race else do the Lime Rock race, it's a lot of fun and not as crazy as Watkins Glen.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

you can always turn the gt3 back to a full time street car if you decide to keep racing the 944 and using it on all your track days...or you find out you love racing having spent the 5 grand and figure it out from there. Or, you could do what I did and sell your 997 buy a cheap SC and then drop a $100,000 in it. Up to you

Hell, I've been thinking about getting a $5,000 944 just to do some different races (on top of my stupid expensive 3.0)
Old 03-02-2009, 06:48 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F

.....Hell, I've been thinking about getting a $5,000 944 just to do some different races.......
Sean, where can I get one of those $5K 944 ready to race?.......no, really......
Old 03-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dougdep
if i did 3 or 4 races a year that would probably be the max!
In that case seriously look at arrive and drive for at least one or two races and keep the GT3. I think two years ago I was quoted in the range or US$2000 to $2500 for a spec 944 at a club race.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

we both missed 2-3 on this board a couple of months ago...they got snapped up.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:11 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
we both missed 2-3 on this board a couple of months ago...they got snapped up.
Man.... we should have jumped on them.......next time.......
Old 03-02-2009, 08:32 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

One thing I haven't seen from the original poster is that this is truly budget limited. That's not to say you want to spend your way down a rat hole..........

So here's my perspective from 25+ years of active track participation--get your license(s) and rent a few different things. And this is coming from someone who doesn't let anyone check his air pressure. But I'm 180 degrees from the question at hand.

That said, which direction to go? Committed to Porsches? If not, I suggest a formula car or sports racer. Fine platform to craft skills in SRF.

Then there's the visceral factor. I get NOTHING from driving my Spec Miata. Slow and close is still.......slow and close. I'm about as engaged as firing up the Wii to play tennis against the computer. I'd rather do one session in the Radical than a weekend in the SM. That's just me; and I know I'm odd. But I know I'm not the only one out there.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Man.... we should have jumped on them.......next time.......
There are a few over on Pelican for $4K but are street cars..
Old 03-02-2009, 08:36 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i did 3 or 4 races a year that would probably be the max, or at least for this year just looking at the schedule of races. i still plan on doing DE's but i think i will stick mostly to the open track/advanced days.

I agree with Dell that if i kept the GT3 and bought a race car then it would probably never be driven at all let alone at DE's.

then again if i win mega millions all this will be moot!
I cant agree more about taking the plunge into club racing. I assure you you'll wonder why it took you so long.
All that being said I would suggest you check out the car I have for sale, #27 in the race car classified. Its similar to Dell's car but is set up to run in H class. The reason these cars, the 964s, are so great is because they can be run in multiple classes. My car can easily be run in either F,G or H. Its also set up and very competitive in NASA GTS3. It can even be moved up to I class in PCA with the installation of a new mass air flow meter. As the ad says this is one of if not the best H class 964 out there now and I've dropped the price to the point were you wont need to win the lottery to run it and have tons of fun and be consistanly on the podium for many seasons to come.

Tim
Old 03-02-2009, 08:51 PM
TR6
Drifting

Steve Watkins has a very nice turn-key RS America race car that hasn't been advertised but I know he's looking to sell it. Black and silver. Beautiful car. If you are interested, I can get you contact info.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

I also have a 3.4 2007 Boxster S (9,000) which is half way finished to being a "G" class car that I dont have any interest in finishing any more, let me know if your interested. I think any mechanic could quickly & easily finish the job
Old 03-02-2009, 09:41 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
... It made no sense to me to race the RSA and then DE the GT3. Just my $.02
it took me a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time to understand the above.
but no i understand it. and i have an RS sitting in the garage as an ornament until the next owner come to take it away from me.

and i dont even have a fast or pretty race car... see avatar.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:43 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

if i did 3 or 4 races a year that would probably be the max, or at least for this year just looking at the schedule of races. i still plan on doing DE's but i think i will stick mostly to the open track/advanced days.

I agree with Dell that if i kept the GT3 and bought a race car then it would probably never be driven at all let alone at DE's.

then again if i win mega millions all this will be moot!
once you raced a few times, DE would be very boring. everything you do or every car you want to pass will inevitably cause you a blag flag warning. it's like what is the point to pass on straights. i am going get under you and take your apex away or out brake you.... oops, black flag... ah, this is DE, i am not racing today.....
Old 03-02-2009, 11:27 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Ok here ya go....

Sell the cab, put the cash into a nice prepped racecar, 964 or rsa (there's a 92 euro cup in the classifieds or all kinds of cup cars that are a steal right now, I'd be all over them but I need to restrain myself I'm full of racecars right now...) and drive the gt3 on the street or the occasional de when you don't feel up to a race weekend (which will not be very often...but you can still drive it on the street...)

....and elvis has left the building....

Quick Reply: To club race or not to club race. all opinions and suggestions welcomed!!