Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Glen 2009 Race Format

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008 | 10:50 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Still prefer the enduro. Different mindset, strategy, ability to share a car with a buddy etc...

The points sounds like a CF to me. Maybe for a season, but why for just a weekend?
Old 11-20-2008 | 12:10 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arkadi
Still prefer the enduro. Different mindset, strategy, ability to share a car with a buddy etc...

The points sounds like a CF to me. Maybe for a season, but why for just a weekend?
I agree about points making more sense for a season. If we want to do points for WG, perhaps we could squeeze in an additional sprint race (would require some work though) and then count the enduro as the fourth race and it counts double.

I'd really hate to lose the enduro.

BTW: since we are on a new thread, I'm going to repost the tag-team enduro idea that I mentioned on the other thread... Comments?

Basically, the idea is that many people are very hesitant to run a multi-hour enduro because it mandates a driver change, and then you get into liability questions. So, to get around that, you have teams of cars. Let's say that you have a 4 hour enduro: I'd drive one shift in my car, and then my teammate drives the next shift in his car. If our cars are in different classes, we are placed with the class that turns the overall fastest lap time. When a person is not driving, his car is allowed to go behind the wall to do tire changes, fuel changes, etc. However, before the car goes behind the wall, the scrutineers are allowed to impound the car and check weight, rules violations, etc.
Old 11-20-2008 | 12:23 AM
cooz
Pro

i also vote for sprint races only
Old 11-20-2008 | 08:32 AM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by naroescape
The handicap race is pretty cool actually....inverted field but they send you out one at a time, based on a handicap of your time vs. the other racers. example: your fastest qualifying lap is 1 second slower than the next guy, so if we're running a 20 lap race, they send you out 20 seconds in advance of the next guy. The theory is that everyone ends up at the checkered flag at the same time. We did that in our race, and it almost worked.... In the cup race, Cory Freidman starte 5:40 behind the slowest car (more than 3 laps!) and he ended up 30 seconds from the leader at the end!! 1-2 more laps and he would have made it. Amazing actually, and a lot of fun to watch.

What that does is saves the T1 issue, and makes you have to race through the crowd to get to the front. The slow cars do their best to "stay ahead" of everyone. we had a blast to be honest...

Needs to be a little adjustment though, like average qualifying speed, not fastest.

I think a handicap start is gimmicky. Not only does it take the most exciting (the start is to me) part of the race away, it also introduces too much potential for screw ups.

Inverting the top 20 to 25 percent of the field would keep it safe and make it exciting til the end.
Old 11-20-2008 | 08:42 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Mark, I agree, I really like the challenge of the enduro format and would miss it.
Old 11-20-2008 | 10:06 AM
vbcracer
Rennlist Member

I have had to cut back on the number of races I do so I am more selective than before. I attend races with enduros. I love enduros.
Old 11-20-2008 | 10:11 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by naroescape
don't disagree about change is good, but history shows that basically you end up the same across the board for each race. 2 is fine, 3 gets redundant...4 is too much if all are exactly the same. Change them up a bit, that would be different.
I wasn't sure I was going to like the Handicap race at CMP and I was certainly nervous about my first enduro. Despite losing the start, I don't think there was a single person (slow or fast) at CMP that didn't really enjoy the Handicap race.

However, the enduro was by far the highlight of the weekend for me and I can't imagine not driving another during my next race weekend.

I agree that 4 sprints might get old and is not "different" at all (but instead more of the same sprint racing over and over). BUT if adopted, I would suggest inverting one of the Sprints (believe me, it's fun as hell). And also, I would score all 4 races (instead of 3 of 4)... Why have a "series" and then cut one race from the series? This would truly reward consistency.
Old 11-20-2008 | 10:19 AM
vbcracer
Rennlist Member

With the four sprint format each race would just be a continuation of the one before it. Unless someone broke you would be racing the same cars, race after race. I say do your propsed format but with only three sprints, using the point system, and also do an enduro. I think that would be possible even with the larger number of cars at WG.
Old 11-20-2008 | 10:27 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I would at least wait until after the Limerock race...
+1,000 - things get hairy in big bend

Last year there was some bumper car action in our race group
Old 11-20-2008 | 11:47 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sean F
+1,000 - things get hairy in big bend

Last year there was some bumper car action in our race group
Tough going in there 4 wide..
Old 11-20-2008 | 04:48 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

How about inverting the top ten after each race? Then give the top 3 average finishing positions overall in each race group a really cool prize.
Old 11-20-2008 | 05:52 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carrera51
How about inverting the top ten after each race? Then give the top 3 average finishing positions overall in each race group a really cool prize.
Mark, how about doubling contingency money for next year?
Old 11-20-2008 | 06:15 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
Mark, how about doubling contingency money for next year?
Now, that's a change we can all live with!

I vote for triple!
Old 11-20-2008 | 07:31 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

CDOC Mark - i'm just happy you guys are out there helping us at all!

BIG THANKS!

Now go ahead and transfer Mark L.'s CDOC dollars to my account as we discussed......
Old 11-20-2008 | 07:49 PM
SoClose
Racer

Pete: We really appreciate your efforts to try a new race format in PCA. I suppose that the trend towards decreased entries will continue next season, and this may draw in the 'regulars' and curious as well.
The best three of four is a great idea, which allows extra travel time if one prefers, and takes pressure off a driver if they are short on luck in one race.
Enduros often lead to a driver being isolated during a race, with door-to-door action only when lapping or being lapped. Starts are the wildcard. Multiple sprints reward racecraft and allow repairs or tuning between races.

Quick Reply: Possible Glen 2009 Race Format