Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Glen 2009 Race Format

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008 | 08:47 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Hey, some of the most fun i've had racing was when Sean and I started at the back!
DQ bros!
Old 11-19-2008 | 08:59 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

I prefer 2 Sprints + Enduro
Old 11-19-2008 | 08:59 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
I like the format...... Certainly a good opportunity to try something new.
I think the idea is a winner. Initially I was in favour of maintaining the enduro but the four race shootout sounds really interesting. How do you propose gridding for races two through four - best lap time, best in last race, qualifying for each race?
Old 11-19-2008 | 09:01 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Hey, some of the most fun i've had racing was when Sean and I started at the back!
DQ bros!
Yeah, I like the idea of inverting the field. If we had 4 sprints, why not do this with one of them? I think it would be a blast.
Old 11-19-2008 | 09:14 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sean F
Yeah, I like the idea of inverting the field. If we had 4 sprints, why not do this with one of them? I think it would be a blast.
Inverting the entire field? You guys are nuts . You must like crumpled metal.

Think of the gt6, b, sp1, c cars sitting on the first 2 rows, and then the 7 rows or cars that are much faster than those, but still slower than you guys by 4 to 5 seconds a lap... This is different than 2 to 3 fast guys starting from the back.... Especially in a run group of 60 cars...

If this is the format, then I will wait until after the glen to repaint my car.... ;-)
Old 11-19-2008 | 09:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
If this is the format, then I will wait until after the glen to repaint my car.... ;-)
I would at least wait until after the Limerock race...
Old 11-19-2008 | 09:31 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

I vote for the new format of 4 sprints... Perhaps it's time for a change.
Give the format a chance.
Old 11-19-2008 | 09:38 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TREMPER
I agree, Bob..usually you are racing against the same folks...but sometimes racers improve during the weekend..and four awesome starts..hard to beat.
I think we need to try new things to try an improve on a great Club Race format..
don't disagree about change is good, but history shows that basically you end up the same across the board for each race. 2 is fine, 3 gets redundant...4 is too much if all are exactly the same. Change them up a bit, that would be different.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 11-19-2008 | 09:39 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Originally Posted by FredC
Inverting the entire field? You guys are nuts . You must like crumpled metal.

Think of the gt6, b, sp1, c cars sitting on the first 2 rows, and then the 7 rows or cars that are much faster than those, but still slower than you guys by 4 to 5 seconds a lap... This is different than 2 to 3 fast guys starting from the back.... Especially in a run group of 60 cars...

I have to agree, this sounds like a recipe for carnage. If the fields were smaller it would be more workable but that will not be the case at the Glen. Although it sounds like fun if you are one of the faster cars, but depending on where the run groups get cut, I might be one of the slow front row guys getting smoked by those in H, I & J. I'd rather start in the rear in that case.
Old 11-19-2008 | 09:47 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Giacomo
I have to agree, this sounds like a recipe for carnage. If the fields were smaller it would be more workable but that will not be the case at the Glen. Although it sounds like fun if you are one of the faster cars, but depending on where the run groups get cut, I might be one the slow front row guys getting smoked by those in H, I & J. I'd rather start in the rear in that case.
The handicap race is pretty cool actually....inverted field but they send you out one at a time, based on a handicap of your time vs. the other racers. example: your fastest qualifying lap is 1 second slower than the next guy, so if we're running a 20 lap race, they send you out 20 seconds in advance of the next guy. The theory is that everyone ends up at the checkered flag at the same time. We did that in our race, and it almost worked.... In the cup race, Cory Freidman starte 5:40 behind the slowest car (more than 3 laps!) and he ended up 30 seconds from the leader at the end!! 1-2 more laps and he would have made it. Amazing actually, and a lot of fun to watch.

What that does is saves the T1 issue, and makes you have to race through the crowd to get to the front. The slow cars do their best to "stay ahead" of everyone. we had a blast to be honest...

Needs to be a little adjustment though, like average qualifying speed, not fastest.
Old 11-19-2008 | 09:52 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

I like the idea of 4 sprint races. More contingency $$$
I think an inverted start for the third race would be the way to go. Qualify for the first sprint, and then grid by fastest lap for the rest of the races.
I have run the "Top Gun" inverted race at Putnam Park, I don't like it on a small track like Putnam--too much blocking. The Top gun race was a handicap start and I don't like that at all. It always gets screwed up. They stopped running the inverted race at Putnam and now have an Enduro.
I think it would work OK at a track like the Glen. There are plenty of good places to pass at the Glen.
Maybe it is a better idea to only invert the top 10 like was mentioned before.
Old 11-19-2008 | 09:58 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd rather do an enduro than an inverted start. Also, not so sure the fourth sprint wouldn't feel like Groundhog Day.
Old 11-19-2008 | 10:11 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Originally Posted by naroescape
The handicap race is pretty cool actually....inverted field but they send you out one at a time, based on a handicap of your time vs. the other racers. example: your fastest qualifying lap is 1 second slower than the next guy, so if we're running a 20 lap race, they send you out 20 seconds in advance of the next guy. The theory is that everyone ends up at the checkered flag at the same time. We did that in our race, and it almost worked.... In the cup race, Cory Freidman starte 5:40 behind the slowest car (more than 3 laps!) and he ended up 30 seconds from the leader at the end!! 1-2 more laps and he would have made it. Amazing actually, and a lot of fun to watch.

What that does is saves the T1 issue, and makes you have to race through the crowd to get to the front. The slow cars do their best to "stay ahead" of everyone. we had a blast to be honest...

Needs to be a little adjustment though, like average qualifying speed, not fastest.
This handicapping system sounds even more interesting (and much more workable for a large group at the Glen), kind of like golf for road racing. I like it, gotta try it. But perhaps only 80% or 90% of the handicap should be awarded, in golf three-quarters is the norm.
Old 11-19-2008 | 10:14 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Four sprints format sounds like fun. Best of three for total points is cool too.

Richard
Old 11-19-2008 | 10:36 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Interesting that few have commented on the event points compilation.

I'm all for having a different format and think that four sprints would be a nice change of pace, despite really liking a 90 minute enduro where strategy, pit stop finesse and the ability to charge hard for an hour and a half really make a difference over sprints.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 11-20-2008 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Possible Glen 2009 Race Format