Sponsored by:

Possible Glen 2009 Race Format

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008 | 07:55 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SoClose
The best three of four is a great idea, which allows extra travel time if one prefers, and takes pressure off a driver if they are short on luck in one race.
Enduros often lead to a driver being isolated during a race, with door-to-door action only when lapping or being lapped. Starts are the wildcard. Multiple sprints reward racecraft and allow repairs or tuning between races.
Couldn't have said it better! At this year's VIR race, I was running with several G class 964's. We had a blast because our lap times were so close to each other. However, after the first race, I had to chance my strategy because they now knew which turns I was weak and what my defensive line was. Made the second sprint totally different.
Old 11-20-2008 | 08:29 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Enduros have been one of my favorite parts of club racing over the years. I'd be sad to see it go.

I like the double sprints, but, for the most part, I've found the outcome of the two races to be very similar.

As an amateur racer, I like the different racing styles and mentality needed for both sprints and enduros during a weekend. It builds a variety of skills.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-20-2008 | 09:34 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Would the costs be split up? As it is now, the enduro is an extra charge. Would the two extra sprint races cost the same as the one enduro, or would the entire weekend be billed as one cost?
Old 11-20-2008 | 09:45 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian P
Would the costs be split up? As it is now, the enduro is an extra charge. Would the two extra sprint races cost the same as the one enduro, or would the entire weekend be billed as one cost?
Good question! What if you can't race Sunday, you will forfeit any chance of an overall podium?
Old 11-20-2008 | 10:04 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Good question! What if you can't race Sunday, you will forfeit any chance of an overall podium?
Podium??? I really don't see how the logistics of a 4 sprint race championship would work. The podium/trophy presentation are on Saturday night, and moving it to Sunday isn't going to work so well for people who have long trips.

So, what we are going to have is a bunch of people leaving the event after their final sprint race, and then they will see on rennlist that they won the 4 race shootout. Are they going to get a trophy in the mail? Or is it just going to be a rennlist post that they see?
Old 11-20-2008 | 11:38 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Another good point Brian...
Old 11-21-2008 | 07:51 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

As long as there is a trophy, who cares when you get it? Awards will be handed out after the first day like always and the weekend points champ/Sunday winners get it in the mail (and then promptly show off on Rennlist). I don't care about the ceremony - I want the hardware.

Why would the costs for Sunday be any different than the cost of the enduro? Wouldn't all the same fixed costs be there?
Old 11-21-2008 | 08:01 AM
TREMPER
Racer

The Saturday evening dinner will include the Woker Choice awards for the first two races. other National Awards and the standings after two races..with the point system as follows: ( thanks to Manny)
1st 10 points
2nd 6
3rd 4
4th 3
5th 2
6th on 1
pole 2
fastest lap 1
After the final race Sunday the over all awards will be mailed to the winners...
The cost is yet to be determined but, I assume, the Sunday charge will be similar to the enduro charge..but the Sunday car and driver must be entered for the Friday/ Saturday part of the event..
Pete
Old 11-21-2008 | 10:45 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by naroescape
Do you really want to do that same thing, time after time, 4 times in a weekend? Sounds kinda boring to me honestly....

....... One of the sprint races was a "handicap" race, which made for some interesting racing. The fast cars got to pass a lot just to get to the front, not just work on lapping the field... At least it made it interesting....
The inverted grid is interesting for the fast cars who do all the passing, but can be most unpleasant for the slow cars who get bombarded for the first 10 turns, many of which are less experienced drivers not ready to handle this contrived passing situation, and certainly not gratifying to be passed by the entire field. In club events, racing is not just for the fast car/drivers. If a fast driver needs the thrill of passing a bunch of slower cars, just ask to start at the back of the field.

At NASA Nationals, they use a 3 day race format. This past year in 944 Cup, the same driver never won more then one race. Of course the relative times stay the same most often,and u race against the same group of cars each race, but the outcome is not predetermined as each race is filled with surprises and varied strategies. Definitely not boring. Making it a one weekend series makes it even more interesting, placing added meaning on the results of each race with varying strategies.
Old 11-21-2008 | 10:53 AM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by TREMPER
The Saturday evening dinner will include the Woker Choice awards for the first two races. other National Awards and the standings after two races..with the point system as follows: ( thanks to Manny)
1st 10 points
2nd 6
3rd 4
4th 3
5th 2
6th on 1
pole 2
fastest lap 1
After the final race Sunday the over all awards will be mailed to the winners...
The cost is yet to be determined but, I assume, the Sunday charge will be similar to the enduro charge..but the Sunday car and driver must be entered for the Friday/ Saturday part of the event..
Pete

This sounds real good. Thoughts on inverting starting order for the top part of the grid?
Old 11-21-2008 | 11:07 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

This could get to be as strategic as F1!
Old 11-21-2008 | 11:20 AM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by John H
This could get to be as strategic as F1!
maybe we get grid girls too. Princeton Porsche... You there?
Old 11-21-2008 | 11:30 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944Cup
The inverted grid is interesting for the fast cars who do all the passing, but can be most unpleasant for the slow cars who get bombarded for the first 10 turns, many of which are less experienced drivers not ready to handle this contrived passing situation, and certainly not gratifying to be passed by the entire field.
The inverted start at CMP was a "handicap race." The car in front of me had a 20+ second head start. The next car behind me was about 15 seconds back. I was one of the slower cars and I only got passed a handful of times (mostly by the G class cars trying to make up a 2-3 lap deficit). They were unsuccessful... the overall first and second place finishing cars were GT5 cars. It was great.

The situation you describe above does indeed sound stupid.
Old 11-21-2008 | 11:37 AM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Astroman
The inverted start at CMP was a "handicap race." The car in front of me had a 20+ second head start. The next car behind me was about 15 seconds back. I was one of the slower cars and I only got passed a handful of times (mostly by the G class cars trying to make up a 2-3 lap deficit). They were unsuccessful... the overall first and second place finishing cars were GT5 cars. It was great.

The situation you describe above does indeed sound stupid.
Handicap race = gimmicky. This is racing, not a golf outing. A proper start is part of the challenge and should remain. My 2 cents.
Old 11-21-2008 | 11:52 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
Handicap race = gimmicky. This is racing, not a golf outing. A proper start is part of the challenge and should remain. My 2 cents.
Then I guess my idea of a Le Mans start won't go over well...

Quick Reply: Possible Glen 2009 Race Format