MID OHIO MAY 17 &18

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 944TURBOS
The SP3 944 was very very fast. Almost as much pull as my GT3. Very talented driver either way, but was way faster than I think it probably should have been (not sure of what a SP3 spec car can have though). It was about as quick as my car on the straights.
First...I have to say he's a very, very good driver. I tried to run with him (both Chris & Jack) both at Sebring, Atlanta and MO and I couldn't even stay close. On my best day, I'm average but the driver of this car deserves recognition. I'd gladly shake both of their hands again and say "great drive" any day.

The car...I have to admit...I don't get it. It's a 951 which, per SP3, has to weigh 3000 pounds which is only 49 pounds less than the car if it were running in E. It can run a non-factory DME (which stock classes cannot) but I can't see that making a huge difference in power (I could be wrong). Ring & Pinion can be changed...that could make a difference at the low end coming out of corners but I'd presume it would sacrifice at the top end...trust me, it does not.

My car is an F car (951S) and this thing pulled away from me on the straight at both Mid-Ohio and Road Atlanta like I was tied to a stump. He obviously pulls away from Larry but he heaves me like I'm standing still.

I wish I had what they had...much better driving ability and a car that could take off like it had a booster rocket attached.

Rick
Old 05-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm a bit confused. I thought being DQ'd for illegal modifications (having a KLR chip is illegal, right?) gave the offender a 13. I thought getting a 13 during the event means you can no longer participate. Or, did he not get a 13 for running an illegal boost chip? Or, does a DQ 13 mean that you don't have to go home, and it's only an car contact 13 makes you go home?

It doesn't bother me that much because he's not in my class - if I was driving SP3, I'd probably be a bit miffed.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Brian,

I'm with you...a bit confused. Dick did say at dinner that the guys indicated that they had purchased the car "fully built" and had not even looked at the chips.

BTW...good race. You did well. I would not allow the dinner conversation about driving a girl car to bother you at all.

Rick
Old 05-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Dick did say at dinner that the guys indicated that they had purchased the car "fully built" and had not even looked at the chips.
That is what they all say...
Old 05-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Team944S2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Larry, great drive. I can't believe how long that # 53 could stay ahead of you. It looked like you were driving well and he just walked away out of the keyhole!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:34 PM
MLIN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great vid and driving, Larry.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:45 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Larry, I'll need to post some of my laps as we do some things differently. I suspect that's a result of the differences in our cars: slicks (me) vs. good suspension (you).
Old 05-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Here's a video (300 meg) of the beginning of my Enduro race at Mid Ohio. All you Mid Ohio pros feel free to apply corrections as needed.
Great driving Larry. Not too shabby for a 12 year absence.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
That is what they all say...
Yeah, I call BS on that as well. There's no way that you can walk that far away from your competition and think that it's due to superior driving. When you start to out horsepower GT3s perhaps you should realize that your car isn't really stock.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
Yeah, I call BS on that as well. There's no way that you can walk that far away from your competition and think that it's due to superior driving. When you start to out horsepower GT3s perhaps you should realize that your car isn't really stock.
+1

That car took off at the start of the sprint race like it was shot out of a cannon. It left Mark Hupfer and I like we were standing still.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:15 AM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick
Brian,

I'm with you...a bit confused. Dick did say at dinner that the guys indicated that they had purchased the car "fully built" and had not even looked at the chips.

BTW...good race. You did well. I would not allow the dinner conversation about driving a girl car to bother you at all.

Rick
Albert Broadfoot built the car.
http://www.broadfootracing.com/race_cars.htm
He was at Sebring and Atlanta for their races, I don't know if he was at Mid-O.
There is a lot more going on in that motor than just a chip.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:16 AM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Here's a video (300 meg) of the beginning of my Enduro race at Mid Ohio. All you Mid Ohio pros feel free to apply corrections as needed.
Nice move to get around the #53 car. As soon as I saw him go inside to lap the 911 and run through the water I knew that's where you were going to make your move. Very well executed!!

FWIW, I prefer to go a little more track left at the exit of turn 7, apex 8 a little earlier, and track out further to the right for the exit of 8. That allows you to maximize your speed in 7, the faster corner, while only giving up a little speed in 8, the slower corner.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jim Child
Nice move to get around the #53 car. As soon as I saw him go inside to lap the 911 and run through the water I knew that's where you were going to make your move. Very well executed!!

FWIW, I prefer to go a little more track left at the exit of turn 7, apex 8 a little earlier, and track out further to the right for the exit of 8. That allows you to maximize your speed in 7, the faster corner, while only giving up a little speed in 8, the slower corner.
Thanks Jim. I felt like there was more speed to be had in 7 too, but with the lack of true dry track time I didn't have enough time to experiment more, and what I was doing felt ok.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:25 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

mylaps.com is updated
Old 05-22-2008, 09:27 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice Driving Larry!

Funny blurb on the 53 car. First session of Thursday morning DE they went out without the hood secured and it flew up causing some damaged that pretty well put them out the remainder of the day on Thursday while they fixed the car. It was well driven though. I prefer the line he was taking on the back side under the honda bridge as it's proven to be quicker for me in my own cars. You give up a little speed on the exit of 9 but more than make it up by attacking under the Honda bridge. Maybe it's more of a line for us guys who lack HP of some of the other cars?

Andy

Quick Reply: MID OHIO MAY 17 &18