Sponsored by:

MID OHIO MAY 17 &18

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:58 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick
Sensing that I was "full throttle" all the way to the braking point...in reality...I started feathering and lifting well before the brake point.
The first place you do this the right into the keyhole. You can go in flat out for sure. I think you should also shift to 4th at the end of thunder valley, then downshift back to 3rd for the left.

Not having the car in the ideal gear for a certain turn/section...I can now see a couple of spots where it would help my car to drop into 2nd gear rather than staying in 3rd or upshifting into 4th rather than lifting while in 3rd to stay off the rev limiter.
I think you should definitely be shifting to 2nd in a bunch of places (2nd part of keyhole, off back straight thru madness, carousel) The car just has no power down at 3000 rpms.

But the laps look nice and smooth and you basically use all the track
Old 05-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

A bit late to the party, enjoyed all the videos, here is one from the blue "rain" sprint race
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQgyJVOxvY4
Old 05-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Very nice video and driving Jerry

Was that the Levitas 993? It pulled like a freight train in the straights.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

"Was that the Levitas 993? It pulled like a freight train in the straights"
Not sure, but when he lit the turbo........wow!
Old 05-24-2008, 12:50 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerrygreene
A bit late to the party, enjoyed all the videos, here is one from the blue "rain" sprint race
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQgyJVOxvY4
Outside pass in the jump turn in the rain...nice!
Old 05-24-2008, 01:30 AM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

This has been really educational to watch everyone's video - lots of things to learn. I've been watching my own and learning a lot.

At the risk of causing huge laughter, I've posted two of the few laps that survived my camcorder issues. It's here: Video

One of the things I noticed the most about my video is that there is a big difference between what you (I) perceive in the car and what you're really doing. For example:
  • Times when I thought I went deep into a corner before braking...I wasn't nearly as deep as my mind told me it was when I was on track.
  • Sensing that I was "full throttle" all the way to the braking point...in reality...I started feathering and lifting well before the brake point.
  • There were a number of passes I could have taken...I moved too early and gave up speed...then couldn't make the pass.
  • Not having the car in the ideal gear for a certain turn/section...I can now see a couple of spots where it would help my car to drop into 2nd gear rather than staying in 3rd or upshifting into 4th rather than lifting while in 3rd to stay off the rev limiter.

I can't wait to get back to to MidOhio...I can easily see at least 1 second that I can gain if I focus and correct some things.

Other comments & feedback welcome.

Rick
You should be taking turn one in 4th gear. Downshifting to 3rd is causing you to overslow the car. Your goal should be to go fast enough in turn one to make 4th gear work for you.

Turn 2 is flat out in your car. You should never lift for this corner unless forced to do so by traffic or moisture. Turn 2 was a little wet during the enduro so if that was causing your lift that's OK. Otherwise take it flat out.

You should be going fast enough through turn 11 to need 4th gear in Thunder valley. You can then take turn 13 in 4th gear with only a brush of the brakes and then right back on the throttle. Lots of time to be gained there.

Colin suggested trying 2nd gear in a few places, and I definitely agree that you should try it, particularly in the Keyhole. Its also possible that you could increase your speed enough to make 3rd gear work for you in those corners.

In general you should understand your rpm sweet spot and try to make sure you're always in it. If your're far below it you should be in a lower gear. If you're just a little bit below it, then you should try to figure out how to go faster in that corner so that the higher gear works for you.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:25 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

T2 is flat in almost everything. The only car I have driven where that is not the case was my old 993TT at ~525 HP and aggressive street suspension. It would push through T2 if I took it flat and really hurt the next two corners. It was faster to take it flat but some LFB to get front tire bite. You should follow the wisdom but at the same time be aware of what your car is doing and improvise as needed.

The best example is when it rains there. Usually you get rain back in T7 through the carousel then the track is much drier. This demands very different driving on different parts of the track and a real awareness of what is changing from lap to lap. MO in the rain tends to be an amazing experience because of this tiny micro-climate they get over the track.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Hi Guys......

I was in the B group DE. I've enjoyed reading the discussion and thought I would also venture to post some of my footage.

http://youtube.com/user/uproar928S

Please keep in mind when offering your critique that this is a full weight 928 on street suspension and Kumhos. So there are a few things that my "husky" car won't tolerate.

I had a best ever lap of 1:45.1. I know that's not fast for most of you....but not bad for a street car that weighs over 3400 pounds.

Best regards.....

Ken
Old 05-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Just for reference this is me.....

Ken
Attached Images   
Old 05-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn that thing has some grunt. What'd you do to the motor?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Ummm. Nothing really....just a 2.4 liter positive displacement supercharger with an intercooler.

I've done all of the work myself. The car was an automatic and I converted that as well to a 5 speed with 2.72 limited slip.

I do get a real kick dropping out warp behind someone who isn't suspecting something devious from a 928 guy.

LOL.

Best regards,

Ken
Attached Images  

Last edited by Vlocity; 05-28-2008 at 05:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice, and the fact that it holds up to some thrashing on the track speaks volumes for the quality of the installation.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Thanks Larry....

This is my 4th year on this set up.

Ken
Old 05-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Azikara
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure, but when he lit the turbo........wow!
Kind of reminds me of this little beaut...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SvxKoocWyc
Old 05-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Chulo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Azikara
Kind of reminds me of this little beaut...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SvxKoocWyc
Tristan - that's driver skill, you know it. Skunkwerks is starting to take 964s, too. I hear they bury superchargers in them.

Quick Reply: MID OHIO MAY 17 &18