Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MID OHIO MAY 17 &18

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Nice going, Larry! Great video. I apologize---I must have misplaced your invitation for me to co-drive...

Old 05-22-2008, 10:55 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's my fast lap from the MO race weekend. I do a few things differently than Fast Larry, so I, too, welcome comments from MO experts: DrJupe's MO Fast Lap (25.1MB, Quicktime)
Old 05-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

wow, larry you own him in every braking zone and every corner exit and he just plain walks you when the steering wheel is straight
Old 05-22-2008, 02:31 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I posted my yellow sprint video on its own thread.
Larry and Jupe, nice driving. Thanks for the videos.
Larry you are a bad influence on me, I signed up for the Glen a couple days ago an got in. After talking about it with you at lunch, it sounded like too much fun to miss out on. See you guys next week.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doug, I won't be there, but you will have a great time.

Charlie, that was a terrific lap. You really commit to some early apexes with full power. Must be the 250 lbs less and the slicks. I can see where you are a little different in 7 & 8, but I think that is more of a turn-in and grip issue. I tried hugging the apex in 8 and my car just understeers out of the turn, until I crest it and then the back steps out. Everywhere else we seem to be in the same place...I'm just going a little slower.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Here's my fast lap from the MO race weekend. I do a few things differently than Fast Larry, so I, too, welcome comments from MO experts: DrJupe's MO Fast Lap (25.1MB, Quicktime)
Nice video Jupe, did you ever upload the fun race video from Atlanta?
Old 05-22-2008, 06:27 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice lap Charlie. I have a couple of suggestions, some of which I also sent to Larry.

First, how come all you guys brake for T1 and T13?

Chicane part of Keyhole - You can carry more speed through the first right hander, then hard braking and stay a half car width off the first apex to the left. That give you a much straighter shot to the last part of the keyhole and you can be on throttle much sooner. In the later part of the keyhole, you should breath off the throttle as the track drops away. It looks to me like you are fighting the push all the way through there. If you breath/lift, the car will rotate and you can get on the gas much sooner.

T7 looked great. You are using all the track out and have enough to get back over half a car width for Madness.

10a, 10b - much like the chicane part of the keyhole but here you want to hit the left apex and miss the second one by a half car width. Same deal as it gives you a much straighter shot into T11.

T11 - This is increasing radius and will take more entry speed. The car can be squirrelly at entry and will recover at the apex. Beyond that, this corner is a question of how much risk you are willing to take for time. With an earlier apex, you can take a good half second off lap times, but it is higher risk.

T13 (left hander) - This is less than 90 degrees so you need to be very slightly earlier on turn in and apex. 13 and 1 are sisters but 1 is a bit more than 90 degrees while 13 is a bit less.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:38 PM
rsa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Great that you'll be there Doug. I'll see you there.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:02 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Nice lap Charlie. I have a couple of suggestions, some of which I also sent to Larry.

Chicane part of Keyhole - You can carry more speed through the first right hander, then hard braking and stay a half car width off the first apex to the left. That give you a much straighter shot to the last part of the keyhole and you can be on throttle much sooner. In the later part of the keyhole, you should breath off the throttle as the track drops away. It looks to me like you are fighting the push all the way through there. If you breath/lift, the car will rotate and you can get on the gas much sooner.

T7 looked great. You are using all the track out and have enough to get back over half a car width for Madness.

10a, 10b - much like the chicane part of the keyhole but here you want to hit the left apex and miss the second one by a half car width. Same deal as it gives you a much straighter shot into T11.

T11 - This is increasing radius and will take more entry speed. The car can be squirrelly at entry and will recover at the apex. Beyond that, this corner is a question of how much risk you are willing to take for time. With an earlier apex, you can take a good half second off lap times, but it is higher risk.

T13 (left hander) - This is less than 90 degrees so you need to be very slightly earlier on turn in and apex. 13 and 1 are sisters but 1 is a bit more than 90 degrees while 13 is a bit less.
Thanks, Mark. Interestingly, I was fighting oversteer where the track drops away at the keyhole.

Is T11 the turn up over the hill into Thunder Valley? I don't know my MO turn #s very well...
Old 05-22-2008, 09:03 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmorris3
Nice video Jupe, did you ever upload the fun race video from Atlanta?
Fun race video from Atlanta, no...

I still have it, will try to work through it, though I know you've heard that before.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:20 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
You let us put a big splitter & wing on the car, and we'll both do 'em flat out
Old 05-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 38D
You let us put a big splitter & wing on the car, and we'll both do 'em flat out
And maybe some Motons, and monoballs and stiff springs and......
Old 05-22-2008, 10:02 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Larry, I'll need to post some of my laps as we do some things differently. I suspect that's a result of the differences in our cars: slicks (me) vs. good suspension (you).
Correct me if I'm Wrong. It looks like Larry with the shorter gears takes 3rd thru T1 and charlie 4th ??? I would assume the opposite.

Bob
Old 05-22-2008, 10:12 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
Correct me if I'm Wrong. It looks like Larry with the shorter gears takes 3rd thru T1 and charlie 4th ??? I would assume the opposite.

Bob
Charlie & I were both taking T1 in 4th, though it was a bit of a tweener as 3rd was about the same speed.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 38D
Charlie & I were both taking T1 in 4th, though it was a bit of a tweener as 3rd was about the same speed.
That would make sense in that both Charlie and Colin did not have to slow as much as I did for T1, so I had better acceleration using 3rd, and it took me almost to the chicane, so it was faster than staying in 4th.

Quick Reply: MID OHIO MAY 17 &18