Sponsored by:

MID OHIO MAY 17 &18

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 11:08 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
That would make sense in that both Charlie and Colin did not have to slow as much as I did for T1, so I had better acceleration using 3rd, and it took me almost to the chicane, so it was faster than staying in 4th.
I have to get back to ohio. I Forgot how great it is. I notice that during the enduro Larry you began to take a more shallow line thru 11? ( not tracking to the curb before turning in) I remember really cutting thru there as shallow as possilbe to gain track distance without giving up much speed.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:16 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
Correct me if I'm Wrong. It looks like Larry with the shorter gears takes 3rd thru T1 and charlie 4th ??? I would assume the opposite.

Bob
I went back/forth using 3rd vs. 4th in T1. Without data and simply indexing using the tach, I think 3rd is faster. However, I went with 4th for two reasons: 1) easier on equipment, 2) I wanted to build entry speed into T1 and felt that downshifting would be more likely to cause me to over-brake. I know I'm still leaving a lot on the table there.

Same thing in other turns where I stay in 3rd vs. downshifting to 2nd.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:21 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I went back/forth using 3rd vs. 4th in T1. Without data and simply indexing using the tach, I think 3rd is faster. However, I went with 4th for two reasons: 1) easier on equipment, 2) I wanted to build entry speed into T1 and felt that downshifting would be more likely to cause me to over-brake. I know I'm still leaving a lot on the table there.

My data showed that 3rd & 4th were the same. Better entry with 4th, better exit with 3rd...net result was same speed at the keyhole (and same time for the segment). I went with 4th for basically the same reasons.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:26 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 sounds right
Old 05-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About 2/3 of the way through the enduro, I started staying in 4th too.

Bob, I started staying farther right in 11 because I found it easier to hit the apex (and use all of the inside curbing). When I went all the way to the left, I found that I was starting to miss my apex..
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:11 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll join the party here; here is my fast lap of 1:34.5 from my race group. This was my first time to the track and there is lots left on the table in almost every corner. I went out in the wet warmup on Sunday and spent some time at slower speed looking at where I could improve. I felt that my enduro race lines were much better and I was able to shave off .3 seconds from my sprint race fast lap. Love the track and wish I had more time there.

http://www.racetek-engineering.com/i...print Race.wmv
Old 05-23-2008, 09:12 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, Mark. Interestingly, I was fighting oversteer where the track drops away at the keyhole.

Is T11 the turn up over the hill into Thunder Valley? I don't know my MO turn #s very well...
Oversteer is pretty crazy there, so I am not sure what to do. The track drops severely, which you can see if you leave the track, turn right and look at the keyhole from a distance. One common mistake there is to try to get back to power too soon which usually causes the car to push badly -maybe your setup caused oversteer under some power there.. Were you going to throttle early? If so, maybe wait so you can get rotation later and get on (and stay on) the gas earlier. I would be very reluctant to change setup as Mid Ohio want a VERY tail happy car to be fast. How is the handling in other sections (entry vs. mid corner vs. exit)?

Numbers are confusing since many clubs and TV broadcasts change the classic numbers. I use the Mid Ohio School numbers and T11 it the right hander over the hill into Thunder Valley. This is one of my favorite corners as there is a lot of time to be gained but all the gains come with real risks - it makes you think about what you are doing and can dictate significant changes from lap to lap depending on your tactical position vs. the other cars. I think that corner really shows the 'thinking mans nature' of Mid Ohio.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:15 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
You let us put a big splitter & wing on the car, and we'll both do 'em flat out
LOL. I want video cuz it will take a lot more than splitter and wing. My car needed a brush of the brakes till I went to full tunnels. Even then T1 is very risky flat and I do not do that every lap. T13 is easier to take flat in my car.

In case anyone is interested, my data shows that I gained ~400 lbs of downforce at ~135 mph with the addition of tunnels.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:43 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
LOL. I want video cuz it will take a lot more than splitter and wing. My car needed a brush of the brakes till I went to full tunnels. Even then T1 is very risky flat and I do not do that every lap. T13 is easier to take flat in my car.

In case anyone is interested, my data shows that I gained ~400 lbs of downforce at ~135 mph with the addition of tunnels.
I didn't say we would actually make it thru the turn

My data shows a top speed of 106mph into T1, and a min speed of 75, so I guess it would take a bit more to be anywhere close to flat out.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:01 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

400#, wow!!
Old 05-23-2008, 01:37 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

400#, wow!!
Yup - that brings the total to 1200-1400 lbs depending on trim at around 135 mph. Remember, this is a car that is 1,000 lbs with fuel and driver.

A flat run through T1 at MO enters at around 120 mph with a min corner speed of around 110.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:43 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

A flat run through T1 at MO enters at around 120 mph with a min corner speed of around 110.
Mommy!
Old 05-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by 38D
Mommy!
Colin - that's what many people say when they see your avatar as well!!!
Old 05-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

This has been really educational to watch everyone's video - lots of things to learn. I've been watching my own and learning a lot.

At the risk of causing huge laughter, I've posted two of the few laps that survived my camcorder issues. It's here: Video

One of the things I noticed the most about my video is that there is a big difference between what you (I) perceive in the car and what you're really doing. For example:
  • Times when I thought I went deep into a corner before braking...I wasn't nearly as deep as my mind told me it was when I was on track.
  • Sensing that I was "full throttle" all the way to the braking point...in reality...I started feathering and lifting well before the brake point.
  • There were a number of passes I could have taken...I moved too early and gave up speed...then couldn't make the pass.
  • Not having the car in the ideal gear for a certain turn/section...I can now see a couple of spots where it would help my car to drop into 2nd gear rather than staying in 3rd or upshifting into 4th rather than lifting while in 3rd to stay off the rev limiter.

I can't wait to get back to to MidOhio...I can easily see at least 1 second that I can gain if I focus and correct some things.

Other comments & feedback welcome.

Rick
Old 05-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

BTW, Nasa is racing at Mid-O July 12/13

Quick Reply: MID OHIO MAY 17 &18