Where are the Alonso detractors Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 01:58 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I can't imagine being competitive in qualifying if you go out on old tires vs someone on new tires, all else being equal. You are giving up perhaps 0.5 seconds for that 1-2 golden laps.

I've actually done the experiment with my son at the local club; sent him out on old tires in qualifying against the rest of the field on new tires...

Some clubs do not allow the use of new tires for racing, only qualifying. You have to race on what you qualified on.

As far as chassis goes, most of the top teams/drivers will get a new chassis every 2-3 races, the old ones are simply sold to people further down the food chain.
Again, karting is just another form of motorsport. Once you get to the level where that last 0.1 seconds is the difference between pole and 10th, it's all about $.
ITC,
About 10 yrs ago a friend of mine was heavily involved in karting with his son , they where sponsored by beril and a few others , but had no where near the budget you described , he ran at the front , won a lot of national championships including shifter kart and was faster than all his contemporaries now in Cart/ Indy , including speed, danica, ray etc, i was present at a few races where they had no money for tires or decided to save the money for another race , qualy on pole with the used tires turned inside around ( shifter ) and went on to win the race . If the talent is there they will get to the front . He passed on an ELF scholarship and more bad decisions ( my opinion ) by his father ruined his racing , If you where his daddy , he would be in F1.......as it is he drives a truck now and danica, ray, speed and the rest can breathe easy , because in shifter Karts he ran rings around them ....with no money
Old 03-19-2008, 02:34 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Symonds: Alonso back to his best

www.autosport.com

By Jonathan Noble Wednesday, March 19th 2008, 09:16 GMT

Fernando Alonso, Renault World champion Fernando Alonso is back to his best once again judging by his charging performance in last weekend's Australian Grand Prix.

That is the view of Renault's director of engineering Pat Symonds, who thinks that Alonso is giving his all to try and help the team return to the front of the grid.

"We could not have asked more of the guy," said Symonds, who was clearly delighted that Alonso came out on top in his late race battle with Heikki Kovalainen in Melbourne.

"When Heikki overtook him you know with Fernando that there's nothing more that could have been done, that was the limit of it. But when that happens, most drivers would just say, 'oh I've lost that place' and lift off. Not Fernando, he's ready to pounce on whatever happens.

"It's really hard luck for Heikki, and I feel really sorry for him, but that's what's so great with Fernando - he's just there to do it and he never gives up."

Symonds has said he does not yet know where Renault stack up against their main rivals, but thinks a clearer picture should emerge after this weekend's Malaysian Grand Prix.

"It's obvious it is close, and it's obvious that if things go slightly wrong you pay a big penalty this year. You're not going to get away with anything.

"McLaren do look strongest at the moment and that did show through practice in Australia – but let's see what Malaysia brings."
Old 03-26-2008, 04:46 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Alonso not frustrated by Renault form

autosport.com

By Jonathan Noble Wednesday, March 26th 2008, 09:09 GMT

Fernando Alonso, Renault, Malaysia 2008Former world champion Fernando Alonso insists he is not frustrated by the form of his Renault team, despite a difficult start to the season.

Although the Spaniard delivered fourth place in the Australian Grand Prix, his R28 does not have the pace that it needs to challenge for wins yet. In Malaysia, Alonso finished seventh, 70 seconds behind the winner Kimi Raikkonen.

But despite the situation, which marks a step down of form for the 26-year-old following world championship assaults over the past three years, Alonso has said he is not irritated by what is happening.

"As long as you approach the grand prix knowing that (the car is not quick enough) and you have no surprises, then it is not frustrating," he explained.

"It is something I knew from the winter testing. We are not at the level of the top teams, so we need to keep improving.

"It is not the time to give up. It is the time to work even harder than the others, and try to recover the gap. So let's see in the coming races, in the coming months, if we can do a good job with the car and make it more competitive."

Alonso thinks the Renault is currently only good enough to fight for a top 10 position in qualifying, and a points finish in the race

"We are struggling to be in Q3 and targeting points in the race," he said. "That is the situation now - no surprises. It is more or less what we expected but the improvements are coming, so we need to improve the situation."
Old 03-26-2008, 05:04 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
"It is not the time to give up...
Translation:
I haven't heard back yet from Luca.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:45 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Q & A with Fernando Alonso

autosport.com
By Jonathan Noble and Simon Strang Thursday, April 3rd 2008, 13:24 GMT

Q. Do you expect a similar picture to the first two races?

Fernando AlonsoFernando Alonso: Yes. I think until the Barcelona test, where, like all the teams, we have some improvements coming that may change the situation. Until Barcelona I think it will be more or less the same [as it is now], so I expect to have a difficult qualifying [in Bahrain], hoping to get into Q3 and the top ten.

And then in the race, depending on which position we finish on Saturday, aim for some points again. This is more-or-less what we are expecting, but we will see, maybe tomorrow we will change our ideas.

Q. Do you expect a big step for Barcelona?

FA: We have some good things coming and we are quite optimistic with an improvement of the car, but at the same time, we all know that all the teams will have a similar feeling now.

All the teams will be optimistic about their improvements, so it is up to us to make the improvements that we hope for on the track. Because sometimes you feel you have a good step forward and then you put it on the car and it feels more-or-less the same. Hopefully for us, we will feel the difference straight away.

Q. The car doesn't appear to have any particular shortcomings; does that make it harder to improve the whole package in comparison to Ferrari and McLaren, rather than focussing on just one thing to make it better?

FA: No, I don't think so. I think maybe it is easier because you know that you have to work in every part of the car. When you have one particular problem and you have to focus on that, it is quite difficult because over the winter you do things thinking that everything is okay and perfect to race in Melbourne, so then it becomes more difficult when you find a big problem in the car. For us there is not a big problem, just many little ones.

Q. Which are the most significant of those problems?

FA: I think in these days in Formula One, aerodynamically the car has to be better and more efficient. Like this we don't need to put too much wing, too much downforce to have the grip, and then in the straights we are too slow. If we want to be quick on the straights as the others then in the corners we are too slow. So we need a good aero package that gives us the grip in the corners and is not too slow in the straights.

Q. Do you think the track will be difficult to drive on tomorrow?

FA: I think this track is always difficult, especially the first day. We saw always on Friday many mistakes, and many people will spin tomorrow probably. It is something we see every Friday, so I expect it even more this year. The track is not in a very good condition, plus with the new electronics rules this year we are seeing some mistakes from all the drivers. So we will see tomorrow will be more difficult, but I expect Saturday and Sunday everything will become more normal and we will see a normal race here in Bahrain.

Q. Fernando what is your opinion on the Max Mosley scandal story, which is sweeping across Formula One?

FA: Nothing to say. No comment

Q. Is it something that will be discussed by the GPDA?

FA: I don't know. I don't think so because the GPDA exists for safety reasons so that is not very important.

Q. Fernando after the Malaysian GP there were quotes in a Spanish daily newspaper where you said you had a release clause in your Renault contract, and that you could leave at the end of the season if the team were not doing as well as you hoped. Is that correct?

FA: I don't know. I don't remember that clause and I signed for two years with Renault. But as we saw last year the contracts are always very flexible.

Q. You might not remember the quote, but does the clause exist?

FA: No.

Q. There is no clause in your contract allowing you to leave?

FA: No.

Q. Are you committed to staying here and seeing out your future rather than looking elsewhere already?

FA: At the moment yes, because we have just started the championship. And okay we are disappointed with our performances in the first two races, but it is not time to give up now, it is time to keep working as hard as we can.

And then we will see at the middle of the season or the end of the season where we are and for next year there is a big change of rules it seems, so aerodynamically there will be a big change with very little wings and we will have slick tyres again probably. So all this can change the picture again in F1, so at the moment I am really convinced that we can do a good job, Renault and me together.

Q. So with big changes in the rules, you think you have as big a chance as Ferrari next year?

FA: For sure. I think when rules change this dramatically it is like throwing a coin in the air. Any team can have a good car and fight for the championship. At the moment the teams that we are behind now, this is the thing that we are hoping, a big change in rules and we can recover the gap quickly.

If the rules stay the same for the next ten years or whatever, we know that Ferrari and McLaren will fight for the next ten championships. So hopefully next year everything will change a little bit and maybe we can see the benefit of it.

Q. Is there a sense of disappointment that you don't have a winning car yet, or were you realistic when you joined Renault that you wouldn't be winning races yet?

FA: Yeah, I knew more or less when I signed for Renault because I knew that the gap was too big to recover all this distance in one winter. I knew that 2008 would be a difficult season, one that we needed to keep improving through to be as close as we can to the top teams.

But at the same time you always hope that maybe things will change and, maybe not fight for the championship, but maybe be on the podium or maybe win one or two races or whatever. It seems that at the moment we are not in that position, so it is a mix of feelings.

In a way I knew already it was difficult, but in another way I was hoping for maybe something more. So it is time to work now and hopefully in the middle of the season, or maybe after Barcelona if the improvements are good enough, fight closer to the podium.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:39 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

FA: ... but it is not time to give up now, it is time to keep working as hard as we can.
Read: Let's see what Massa does in the next couple of races and then ask me again.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wayne, too bad you can't do the interviews with Alonso. It would be an intersting read.

Just imagine........

AW: Alonso, it is truly amazing that you have been able to finish in the points in two races when you take into consideration that you've been driving a "donkey cart" for a car. How were you able to accomplish that?

FA: It has been very difficult. As you know I have had to take over the engineers job and build this new Renault from scratch. It has been very hard to design, build, test, decode the new ECU, and drive the car all by myself.

AW: If you were driving the McLaren or Ferrari would you be in first place?

FA: Just look at the standings Wayne. If I can finish 8th in a donkey cart, I would obviously be winning in a Ferrari or McLaren!

AW: What do you think the future holds for you at Renault

FA: I don't think I can go on much longer like this.. I mean I'm obviously the most talented drover in the field, but I can't get anywhere in this donkey cart. Why do I put myself through this?

AW: It's because it's what you love, Fernando. It is who you were born to be. And here you sit, thinking. Well, Fernando Alonso is not a thinker. Fernando Alonso is a drover. He is a doer. And that's what you need to do. You don't need to think. You need to drive. You need speed. You need to go out there, and you need to rev your engine. You need to fire it up. You need to grab a hold of that line between speed and chaos, and you need to wrestle it to the ground like a demon cobra! And then, when the fear rises up in your belly, you use it. And you know that fear is powerful, because it has been there for billions of years. And it is good. And you use it. And you ride it; you ride it like a skeleton horse through the gates of hell, and then you win, Fernando. You WIN! And you don't win for anybody else. You win for you, you know why? Because a man takes what he wants. He takes it all. And you're a man, aren't you? Aren't you?

FA: Wayne, I've never heard you talk like that... Are we about to get it on? Because I'm as hard as a diamond in an ice storm right now.

jk (portions exerpted from taladaga nights)

Last edited by Ray S; 04-03-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:31 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Alonso to Ferrari ?

f1-live.com

Fernando Alonso is leaving open the possibility that he might switch teams again at the end of 2008.

The Spaniard escaped from a three year McLaren contract after just one unhappy instalment in 2007, returning this season to the scene of his two drivers' world titles.

But his new two-year Renault contract includes a clause that will allow him to change again at the end of this season, and rumours are gaining pace that Alonso's next destination could be Ferrari.

On the scene of Sunday's Bahrain Grand Prix, Alonso on Thursday would not clearly commit to staying at Renault for 2009.

"I have signed a two year contract with Renault, but in Formula One we know that contracts are flexible," he is quoted as saying by the German news agency SID.

It is understood that Alonso's 2009 exit clause is linked with Renault's on-track performance, and the French squad has already admitted that it has failed so far to provide Alonso with a winning car.

"I knew that it would be a difficult year for Renault," he said. "However, I had hoped that we might be looking to get on the podium once or twice."

In Australia and Malaysia, Alonso finished fourth and eighth respectively.

He believes that the sweeping 2009 rule changes, however, could provide Renault a faster track back to the front of the grid.

Source: GMM
Old 04-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

...Q. There is no clause in your contract allowing you to leave?

FA: No...
...two-year Renault contract includes a clause that will allow him to change again at the end of this season, and rumours are gaining pace that Alonso's next destination could be Ferrari...
You gotta love the stupid F1 speculation, especially when it's from the always reliable F1-Live!
(Wayne, you've already been screwed by F1-Live and that site was already banned from being used as a source, yet you still use them for your quotes, please take on something more reliable, ok?)
I mean seriously, F1-Live guys talks about this "clause" as if it's a fact when in real life he has no clue and is just repeating the speculation Spanish media started. You gotta love "internet media".
Old 04-03-2008, 07:30 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,039 Posts

I don't want to come off too strong here, but in reading the FA responses to the interview, it's clear to me he is a liar.

He doesn't know if there is a clause that he can leave after this year? Wayne read his contract months ago and told us he had an escape clause and he WAS leaving for Ferrari at the end of this year. He must really think everyone else is stupid, doesn't he?

Race #4 is around the corner. I'm still predicting he blows a gasket during the Spanish GP.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:30 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
You gotta love the stupid F1 speculation, especially when it's from the always reliable F1-Live!
(Wayne, you've already been screwed by F1-Live and that site was already banned from being used as a source, yet you still use them for your quotes, please take on something more reliable, ok?)
I mean seriously, F1-Live guys talks about this "clause" as if it's a fact when in real life he has no clue and is just repeating the speculation Spanish media started. You gotta love "internet media".

Finn lay off the bishca when discussing F1, no problem with F1- live , it is planet f1 , OK ! remember Planet F1 was the media that got you upset for saying Massa had a better record than Kimi ...

Hamilton wins the WDC , making Kimi look like a putz Alonso to Ferrari with a even bigger salary than he has now , WOW !
Old 04-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Finn lay off the bishca when discussing F1, no problem with F1- live , it is planet f1 , OK ! remember Planet F1 was the media that got you upset for saying Massa had a better record than Kimi ...

Hamilton wins the WDC , making Kimi look like a putz Alonso to Ferrari with a even bigger salary than he has now , WOW !
Well, that "article" is just stupid regardless where it came from, no?

Kimi is a putz?

How about a 2 time champion driving in a best car with a ROOKIE as a team mate, yet he can't win a title? Talk about being a putz!
(Alonso: "When Hamilton has won several world titles, fine, but after five grand prix wins when he is sitting in a McLaren - the best car - I think more calculated assessments should be made.")
Old 04-05-2008, 07:58 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Renault to move forward

Flavio Briatore is confident that Fernando Alonso will be in contention for a podium finish at his home Grand Prix in Spain later this month.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...05090847.shtml
Old 04-05-2008, 03:26 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Wayne,

Inspite what others might have said, I too am still faithful to FA like you.
However, even if ferrari seat(Massa's) is availble next year... Wouldn't BMW-Sauber car might have better chance of winning? Or put it this way, a chance to kick LH butt and say "Who's your daddy now?"
Old 04-05-2008, 11:24 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f8vr993
Wayne,

Inspite what others might have said, I too am still faithful to FA like you.
However, even if ferrari seat(Massa's) is availble next year... Wouldn't BMW-Sauber car might have better chance of winning? Or put it this way, a chance to kick LH butt and say "Who's your daddy now?"
Not yet, Ferrari is still the best team in F1 until proven otherwise, BMW is still all potential , as they have not won any races yet and when they do , they will also have to show the consistency necessary in winning championships.
Sunday will be important to see if they are contenders or pretenders, my money for the race will be a Ferrari or Hamilton's mclaren . Ii'm still feeling that BMW flatters to deceive. I will add that Hamilton thinks very highly of Kubica, Making his recent performance more of what they expected from him.....and makes him a real threat if BMW is now really performing at the top level.....
Now if only Renault could muster up a challenge , making it a 4 way tussle ,,,,

Alonso on Q3

Fernando Alonso
“I am satisfied to have reached Q3 because I had some doubts that we would this morning. But we made several changes before qualifying and we felt they were an improvement after Q1, and that gave us the confidence to be more aggressive in Q2. Once we had qualified for Q3, we knew that it would be difficult to match the pace of the leading cars because we had already been pushing to the limit, so we took the decision to prepare for the race tomorrow. We will now see if we can get some points this weekend.”

Quick Reply: Where are the Alonso detractors Pt 3