Where are the Alonso detractors Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
So if Renault is sand bagging, how would they do it and still know what the performance of the car is? Add weight? I can't figure how people think Renault is holding back when they clearly need to set up the car.
You drive normally (= fast) in most of the places but slow down deliberately on some amking the overall lap time not so fast. "Cruise" a corner or two and that's 1-2 seconds off from your lap time.
Or you can drive with race fuel (Ferrari likes to do pre season testing with heavy load) instead of doing fast laps with minimal fuel & quali setup.
Then of cource when you do want to try those fast setups, you use the "fast in general, but slow here and there" tactic.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:07 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
You drive normally (= fast) in most of the places but slow down deliberately on some amking the overall lap time not so fast. "Cruise" a corner or two and that's 1-2 seconds off from your lap time.
Or you can drive with race fuel (Ferrari likes to do pre season testing with heavy load) instead of doing fast laps with minimal fuel & quali setup.
Then of cource when you do want to try those fast setups, you use the "fast in general, but slow here and there" tactic.
I thought about that too but wouldn't the other teams be watching your segment times too? That would tip them off to you holding back for a corner.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Alonso is realistic and Briatore is optimistic. Nothing wrong with either one. I think Alonso will have a couple of podiums this year but to expect him to be in the fight for WDC is unrealistic.
How can it be "realistic" to predict the outcome before you even conduct the first race? The word that should be used here is "pessimistic".

No one knows relative pace as each team is holding their "cards" very close trying to hide their true (outright) pace during testing. So, if no one really knows relative pace how can you predict outcomes?

In my mind Alonso could win the WDC title outright or never podium in '08, it all depends on how good the new Renault is.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:17 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S
How can it be "realistic" to predict the outcome before you even conduct the first race? The word that should be used here is "pessimistic".

No one knows relative pace as each team is holding their "cards" very close trying to hide their true (outright) pace during testing. So, if no one really knows relative pace how can you predict outcomes?

In my mind Alonso could win the WDC title outright or never podium in '08, it all depends on how good the new Renault is.
NOVICE

I thought about that too but wouldn't the other teams be watching your segment times too? That would tip them off to you holding back for a corner.
Yes , the teams know who is and who isn't , I agree with the finn in that the teams all try to sand bag , you have to evaluate over the full testing season , if you keep track it is easy to see who is fast. What will change in ,melbourne is
the actual track condition and race strategy , due to Q3 race load being the actual load you start the race with , we have seen a lot of testing with heavy fuel loads and long stints , lots of data , those simulators will be running full blast for Melbourne.......
Old 02-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
NOVICE

Yes , the teams know who is and who isn't , I agree with the finn in that the teams all try to sand bag , you have to evaluate over the full testing season , if you keep track it is easy to see who is fast. What will change in ,melbourne is
the actual track condition and race strategy , due to Q3 race load being the actual load you start the race with , we have seen a lot of testing with heavy fuel loads and long stints , lots of data , those simulators will be running full blast for Melbourne.......
Yes, that (segment times) is the obvious way to see who's doing what but you can slow a little on one corner in each segment and things get trickier for others to monitor. And said fuel load is always something they can only guess.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:58 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Changing the start/finnish line is done all the time...
Old 02-29-2008, 02:28 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Changing the start/finnish line is done all the time...
Easiest way to conceal true lap times with an arbitratry marker only the team knows about
Old 02-29-2008, 04:38 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Petey,
I see you now have the car out of the parking lot , so possibly now using 3 rd gear
Yep that higher speed should move you closer to that green DE group .....
Love the description :

Pete

Arctic Silver GT3, CF shift **** & e-brake, GT3 seats, DAS bar, harnesses, Sparco fire extinguisher, Cup rotors, Cup brake ducts, MS nut hugging cup & bar, 3 amigos sun dial lap timer and counting...
Old 02-29-2008, 06:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do I see 'Three Amigos' driving apparel/shirts in the not too distant future?

Perhaps even a 'Three Amigos/F1' sub forum as well?
Old 02-29-2008, 06:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Perhaps some of the teams are intentionally limiting max RPM's and/or final gear ratios to help with sandbagging a bit....
Old 03-01-2008, 12:48 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,969 Posts

I love how your obsessed with me Wayno. Just renting out some space in that head of yours. I'll be sure to send you some pictures of this weekends events at Willow Springs. Perhaps I should paint a couple of Aces on the back of my helmet?
Old 03-01-2008, 05:04 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

you will need more than 3rd gear around willow to justify 2 aces bwoyie
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2008, 08:38 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
you will need more than 3rd gear around willow to justify 2 aces bwoyie
So let me see.....

I'm guessing that the 2 Aces represent his 2 WDC......so that 'other' driver would have 7 Aces on the back of his helmet......

Yup, finally, we have scientific proof that Fernando Alonso is a few cards short of a full deck.

Of course, we'll leave the 'Gold FTD Floral Delivery Guy driving shoes' for another date and time.....

Sir A. Wayne......you can tee off

FORE !
Old 03-02-2008, 11:46 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Alonso: 2007 dented Renault's confidence

www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65424

http://www.formula1.com/news/intervi...08/2/7407.html

"And besides, when I arrived at McLaren, they were struggling to get into the top ten. And in February, before going to Australia, they couldn't imagine we would have been so quick as to win the second race. FA.

Last edited by A.Wayne; 03-02-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:53 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

So when can we expect to see Alonso and the R28 lapping the field?

Quick Reply: Where are the Alonso detractors Pt 3