Sponsored by:

Is Anyone Writing DE Insurance ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:43 PM
ShaunATL
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjb
ShaunATL, thanks for putting this together. Now this is a policy a could live with. Seems to address the shortcomings of the other offerings that had me concerned.
Did I miss the premium?

Still a little risky given the lack of claim history (AFAIK) but might be worth a shot.
I agree that it looks like the best policy out there for now.

I didn't post the premium or the deductible since they're specific to each policy, but the premium came out to be similar to what was previously quoted through WSIB, and the deductible is less - of course YMMV. I'm also including my wife in the coverage since she does an event ever so often, so I didn't want to post a premium given that it might be skewed because of that.

Also, I didn't mention that this is for unlimited events within a 12 month period.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:55 PM
ShaunATL
AutoX

Originally Posted by LVDell
Tires and brake (pads I assume) I can understand but not wheels being excluded if they are damaged in the accident makes no sense. Can this be explained further?
Here's the response I got:
I didn’t insure wheels and tires on the Snellings Walters policy either and the reason is due to the tendency of race or aftermarket wheels bending or cracking. Most aftermarket or race wheels are designed to be lighter and structurally may not be as durable as standard wheels that came with the car. The deductibles are so low on these policies already we could end up paying claims just based on wheels damage.

Edit - here's another clarification on the brakes:
Brake systems are covered on the DE policy, minus pads. However, if the brake systems have been upgraded they must be noted and insured in the overall limit and application. Otherwise, the claim will be paid based on stock brakes, minus pads.

Last edited by ShaunATL; 07-02-2008 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Added brake coverage info
Old 07-04-2008, 04:46 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunATL
.. snip ...

Is there any medical coverage, or just the car? Just the car.

.. snip...
Is damage to the track covered (armco, dividers, etc)? No, that is liability.
These exclusions would concern me. As much as I would want my car repaired, more important is coverage for any damage I do to others (body or physical damage).

By my reading, I would be on the hook for any injuries I cause to someone else and any damage to the facility.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:35 PM
ShaunATL
AutoX

Originally Posted by HarryD
These exclusions would concern me. As much as I would want my car repaired, more important is coverage for any damage I do to others (body or physical damage).

By my reading, I would be on the hook for any injuries I cause to someone else and any damage to the facility.
I agree that it would be nice to have medical and liability, but I doubt you're going to find a reasonably priced policy without those exclusions.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Have you read the waivers you sign when you enter the track or join an event? Those are the claims that all particiapants give up....
Old 07-12-2008, 08:23 AM
DarkSideDE
Pro

I don't know if you've come across this - but I just did and thought I'd share. Is this one of the programs already discussed here? It seems interesting - it looks like you can cover yourself for just 1 event if you'd like.

http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/Default.aspx?cID=3

Disclaimer - I don't know these guys, I don't sell insurance - I'm not affiliated with anyone that is does etc. Just looking over the net and came across it.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:01 AM
THXBABE
Instructor

Lockton is a HUGE insurance brokerage. I sent an email to find out what their deal is.

From the website it looks like they are only offering the coverage for select future events.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:24 AM
THXBABE
Instructor

The email address on the web page does not work. Email was sent back as undeliverable.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:52 AM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Perhaps someone can call them on Monday - they do list phone numbers...
Old 07-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

No policy is going to pay for the damage you do to someone else on a race track, so if that's an issue you should stay home. If you try and claim it on your std. car insurance either they will flat deny the claim or they may pay it... than make you un-insurable at any price. As has been said, PCA's waiver is there in place and other than paying for a guard rail damage to other's cars at the track is the responsibility of the car owner. If you caused it and have the means to help with the repairs that is an option, but is never required. It can't stop a lawsuit from being initiated though I have only heard of one, and that was a multiple death scenario.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:32 AM
THXBABE
Instructor

By someone did you mean me??

Well I called. The site wasn't meant for public view yet as it is still in the test environment. It should be live by Thursday.

They are offering coverage for individual events. I did not get policy specifics, but will post when I get them.

Using $25K as the value for my car, I was given a rough estimate of $155 for driving at Homestead Sunday with Chin.

Should know more by Thursday.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:38 AM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Thanks for the update THXBabe - didn't mean you exactly - meant anyone interested. Sounds interesting, paying for a single event, great for the occasional DE person.

Thanks for following up. Now I'm amazed I stumbled across the test site...
Old 07-14-2008, 12:02 PM
THXBABE
Instructor

The guy was fairly surprised when I told him I saw the link to the site here. The email bounced because the site still isn't active.

I am doing my first DE on Sunday and will be occassional DE'r for a while, so this may be a very good solution for me.

Thanks for posting the link!!

Tom
Old 07-14-2008, 07:38 PM
gottagofast13
Advanced

Originally Posted by THXBABE
The guy was fairly surprised when I told him I saw the link to the site here. The email bounced because the site still isn't active.

I am doing my first DE on Sunday and will be occassional DE'r for a while, so this may be a very good solution for me.

Thanks for posting the link!!

Tom
That guy would be me - Ryan Staub. I've been involved in this hobby for about 7 years. I am Chief Instructor for the KC BMW Club, a "PCA National DE Instructor Corp Member", and I've instructed for multiple other clubs.

I'll just provide some generic details about the program, and if you have other questions, feel free to contact me. The HPDE Insurance Program was designed to meet the needs of the average DE enthusiast - those that attend less than 7 events each year. We are offering single-event coverage to "approved events." To give you an idea, we are offering coverage to drivers participating in PCA, BMW CCA, and ACNA events. To meet our approval process, events must provide classroom instruction, in-car instruction, passing only with a signal, etc, etc.

The site that "DarkSide DE" stumbled across is actually our test site. Later this week we will launch the official site where you will be able to learn about the program, apply, get a quote, and buy your single-event DE insurance. Your declaration page and policy will be sent about 5 minutes after submitting your payment information (credit card). I'll post our link and details about how to get to us from MotorsportReg when the site goes live.

This program is administered by Lockton Risk Service - part of Lockton Companies, the largest privately-held insurance brokerage firm in the world. If you have any questions that you'd like to discuss with me directly, please e-mail me at rstaub (at) locktonaffinity (dot) com.

Ryan Staub

Last edited by gottagofast13; 07-14-2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Shorten post
Old 07-18-2008, 01:51 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I recently posted my experience with WSIB after submitting a claim for a recent accident. clicky

Very pleased with the service and how they handled the claim

Quick Reply: Is Anyone Writing DE Insurance ???