Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Anyone Writing DE Insurance ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:33 AM
George3
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is Anyone Writing DE Insurance ???

When I recently got involved with DE events, I really got hooked big time. I've been to a lot of events and I always heard people say... "... you really ought to consider getting track insurance... in case you have that Kodak moment."

Well, I'm ready to get that kind of coverage, although it seems some carriers are no longer writing these policies, or I'm calling the wrong people, or they don't return my emails/calls.

Does anyone know of any agencies that still offer DE or Track Insurance? (I'm in PA)

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

George, let us know if you find someone currently writing. As far as I can tell, there is nothing available, and at least two others have asked me about it. Perhaps by spring someone will offer DE insurance?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:33 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

AFAIK http://laurelde.com/ is still writing policies. I used them for three years, but stopped due to them raising the deductible for RSAs to $10k from $5k.

Anyone know anything about: http://www.everittboles.com/index.htm ? They are a UK company, but there is a US application.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

There is a lot of information on Laurel DE scattered around Rennlist. I did not consider them, despite the good experiences of a number of Rennlisters, because the insurance company standing behind their policies did not have an AM Best rating. That there is no rating at all suggested to me that what Laurel was selling was really not insurance and that if they chose not to pay a claim I would have no recourse.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:53 PM
RamVA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a policy with Laurel last week.

The underwriter is based in Australia, so there are no ratings, regulations, or gaurantees in the US or Canada. That said, they appear to have a good and long track record of paying out claims.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

AM Best rates insurance companies worldwide, not just in the US. I could never confirm that the Australian underwriter actually existed. That said, they do have a record of paying to Rennlisters.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:43 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You've probably already considered this, but there are still many insurance companies that cover DEs on their regular auto policy. If your primary carrier doesn't (ie: The company you have your other cars, home, etc.), then look around for a company that does and just put the Porsche there. I've known a few guys that have had on-track incidences during a DE and have had their claim covered 100% without a problem under their normal auto policy. Premium might be $1-2k a year depending on the car, with a $500 deductible -- you could go higher and cut the premium.

I know, people will chime in and say 1) Insurers are slowly discontinuing covering DEs, 2) If you have a claim, you can kiss that company good by (the guys I know that have had claims were not dropped), etc. -- But it's worth exploring...
Old 10-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Ron -

If you can, find out the names of the Insurer's that cover DE's and have paid out without massive punitive assessments to future rates or complete drop of coverage. I'd be interested even though I managed to squeek in a policy through ProSure before he went MIA... My policy is with Thompson Heath & Bond Limited out of London and the quote from my last email with Chris Maume regarding my request of a formal written policy - "Please contact Jean DeWitt at WSIB Motorsports Ins. for more information regarding your policy. Jean can be reached- jeand@wsibinsurance.com ."
Old 10-09-2007, 12:13 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happened to Chris Maume? Wasn't there some long thread detailing his DE insurance offerings? And Snelling was offering a product? Maybe I'm behind here...

edit: I found and read through the thread that I referred to above. Seems that Prosure and SW are no longer an option at this point. Very frustrating for those that are seeking a solution to DE insurance coverage. The problem with street insurance policies is that most insurance companies (at least the ones I've used) will not share their detailed exclusions prior to you buying the policy. And if you start asking about "hypothetical" track exclusions in advance, that is a major red flag...

Last edited by TR6; 10-09-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:56 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

With how convenient getting regular insurance is online, you can always buy the policy, read it, then cancel it right away and buy a different one. Pop around til you find one where the policy language is DE friendly. Will end up costing you peanuts.

Progressive, Geico, Esurance, etc. are a few that come to mind which let you read the policy online within 24 hours of purchasing the policy.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

http://www.wsibinsurance.com/
Old 10-09-2007, 05:32 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd rather not name names because I think it's up to each driver to find his / her own comfort level with insurance. The two guys I know had very good relationships with their agent and the agent knew very well that DE was in the mix.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:09 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem with DE insurance is that we simply do not know about how promptly these insurers are likely to pay a claim, especially a big one.

I have a DE specific insurance policy and, without naming names, I'm skeptical about getting a claim approved fairly and promptly in the event I crash my car. My skepticism is grounded on first hand knowledge of a track incident and related claim. As such, I'm likely not going to renew this policy next year.

My 2 cents: Really do your due diligence when applying for a DE policy. Insurer ratings mean nothing. It's the agent from whom you buy the policy that really matters.

Cheers.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:23 PM
ddubois
Instructor

Here's the wording from my GEICO Collision and Liability Exclusions.

Shall not apply...

"to an auto being driven in or preparing for any prearranged or organized racing, speed or demolition contest or stunting activity of any nature."

I think you could get them to cover since technically a DE is not a racing or speed contest, but my guess would be good luck come renewal time or getting reasonable insurance rates from anyone else.

On a related note, I'm more interested in how contact between cars is handled at a DE? How is fault determined? Regardless whether you have track insurance or not, how do the insurance companies agree on who is at fault? Anybody with experience in something like this?

There is another thread out there involving an instructor who wrecked a student's car and refuses to pay, but what about two students who make contact?
Old 10-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BobbyC
The problem with DE insurance is that we simply do not know about how promptly these insurers are likely to pay a claim, especially a big one.
My only experience was with American Collectors (gone now) and they paid promptly..

Quick Reply: Is Anyone Writing DE Insurance ???