Sponsored by:

track etiquette for lapped drivers

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I think in times like these we need to ask ourselves "what would Ghettoracist do?"
and do the opposite
Old 05-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

EXACTLY

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-20-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Last edited by Gary R.; 06-18-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Larry, do you see things differently than what I posted?

Old 05-07-2007, 01:02 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Larry, do you see things differently than what I posted?
I'm not sure about "different". What I saw was a very aggressive maneuver that put Bob in a bad spot. Whether or not that was due to "attitude" is for Bob to say.

What I can say is that he was closing very quickly, and there is not a whole lot of room there. Maybe if he could have timed it better, he could have slowed a little sooner, and still kept the E car between him and Charlie going into Big Bend. Then with the run that he had, box the 944 out going into the 2nd apex, and wind up in the same position without all of the drama.

But 20/20 hindsight has 100% accuracy, and the options you could have taken when reviewed on the video, you had to initially decide in a heartbeat. Would I have taken that pass? Probably not, but it also didn't have to be that dramatic. The 944 could have left racing room without impeding their own progress, and all Bob needed was one car width at the apex. If you look at the video again, you will see that the 944 really hurt himself, because when Bob got by, it made the 944 slow and it allowed the E car to pass as well. If he had let Bob pass initially, he could have kept the E car behind him.

I have made some hairy passes too, and at times have relied on the awareness of other drivers for it to happen. Splitting the 2 cars on my last lap at Road Atlanta comes to mind. If either car had not held their position, and had drifted inwards before I had drawn even, I would have been fixing both front fenders, and it probably would have been my fault. It would have cost me third position to wait and see what they would do, as 4th was directly behind me, and so for better or worse, that was factored into my decision making process. If 4th hadn't been right there, I may have waited a second to see which side might have been safer.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

OK, fair enough. However, the blue X is clearly visible on the back of the 944. An experienced racer (like Bob) should have expected a reaction like that, especially from a rookie who had the line, and not forced it. However, when one has an entitlement attitude...well, we can all watch it on the video. Whereas Charlie was patient, and forced no one in that clip.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I can say is that Bob does practice what he preaches, and easily allows the leaders through; something he has to do frequently when the put his class in with the GT3 Cup Cars. He's not so easy when it comes to passing for position though, something I tried to do frequently.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I really think that the Club Race organizers/stewards, etc. really should take the time in a classroom or pre-race gathering to reinforce the proper courtesies necessary regarding tracking several classes of cars at once. This isn't just for Rookies as the cars that I had issues with were not X'd..

1. Be AWARE of who is near you
2. If you catch a car in a higher class race him, pass him, etc.
3. If a car in a higher class car catches you (or is approaching/gaining rapidly), and you are not racing a common class car for position, try and give the opportunity for him to get by safely. This is equally true (IMO) even if you are trying for a good overall finish. If I caught you when you have no one in front/behind you guess what..
4. Be AWARE of who is near you
Old 05-07-2007, 06:21 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
OK, fair enough. However, the blue X is clearly visible on the back of the 944. An experienced racer (like Bob) should have expected a reaction like that, especially from a rookie who had the line, and not forced it. However, when one has an entitlement attitude...well, we can all watch it on the video. Whereas Charlie was patient, and forced no one in that clip.
I think the issue is that the 944 did not drive the line. He stays wide initially, as if to give Bob the pass. Then the 944 decides to move in, well past the normal racing line turn in point. Even rookies should be expected to know where the line is. To complicate thing, that car was being dual driven during the weekend. In the enduro it was very fast, and very aware of what was going on.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Colin, if you watch carefully, Bob's brake lights are on way before the 944's. And his brakes stay on well after the 944 comes off he brakes. Bob also seems way too tight to be on line. It appears that the 944 brakes, then comes off brakes to go back to power as he crosses the apex....but Bob has come from behind him and gone ag in order to deny him the apex, and in the process nearly pushes the 944 off track. Seems to me that Bob was trying to make an overly ambitious pass on a marked rookie car by going inside....didn't get ahead under braking...and decided to go for it anyway and hope the other guy would back down to avoid contact. Seems like a **** move to me, especially on a rookie.

Now, I respect Larry's comment. However, had Larry & TD been racing in the 944's for class position, I highly doubt Larry would have gone off line in that corner just to let God Himself in the form of Bob through (and thus allow TD's 944 to get way ahead).

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 05-07-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:13 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

My issue is that the 944 was wide of the normal line into the first apex into big bend...by just about a car width. Then well past the 1 marker, he starts to cut it in. This is not the standard line. I can see how Bob would have thought that the 944 was "giving him room".

Btw, the two 944s were not racing for position.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
My issue is that the 944 was wide of the normal line into the first apex into big bend...by just about a car width. Then well past the 1 marker, he starts to cut it in. This is not the standard line. I can see how Bob would have thought that the 944 was "giving him room".

I believe the 944 saw Bob coming in but chose not to give him room, simple as that. I also believe Bob assumed he would, and had no satanic thoughts of ridding the world of 944's. He's an excellent, aggressive driver (ummm, he wins a lot) and in this instance he made a mistake. He knows it and will learn from it (as I hope others will), we don't need to put him on an alter and cut his heart out over it..
Old 05-07-2007, 07:42 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D

If you watch the video again, the 944 seems to follow the line of the 944 in front of him. Roughly the same turn in point, etc. It's just pretty obvious that he didn't see Bob until after he turned in.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Watching that video, it seems there are two different lines into there. This is also borne out by other videos, including pro races. Yes, it is likely the 944 didn't see Bob...but Bob should have seen the blue X and not nearly rammed the guy off the track. Combined with his "But Since I might be in a hurry how easy he survives the corner depends on his consideration of the passing car" attitude + the fact that the 944 was ahead of him at turn in and most reasonable people will come to the same conclusion I did. Consideration goes BOTH ways in club racing, guys. Just because a guy "wins a lot" does not give him free reign to talk & act this way.

JMO....
Old 05-08-2007, 12:27 AM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so for scholastic purposes, if this ended in contact, which way would the 13/13 go? in 'favor' of the rookie b/c he doesn't know and makes mistakes, or point towards someone who ends up running into another, w/o regard whether that was a rookie or an experienced (faster) driver? both?

Quick Reply: track etiquette for lapped drivers