Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 11:38 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I agree, we are saying the same thing.

Same way we changed the bet during the middle season..?
I think your memory is failing a little again, I never said Alonso was not any good.

05 McLaren maybe was faster but it was not reliable enough, in other words, not the best. Renault was.
In 06, I think Ferrari wasn't faster, you think it was but all this is just "he said, she said" so what's the point?
BTW, Renault in both of those years won the manufacturer's championship, that's usually pretty good indication.
After the Mass damper fiasco , the ferrari became the better car , this helped MS challenge for the WDC in the 2 nd half of the season ..

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Now we're talking in circles. To win a WDC, you have to have a front running car, be very quick, not make mistakes, and have a fair amount of luck. The proportions to which each champion had these componants varies from year to year, but make no mistake, each WDC had all of them.

Agree ...
Old 12-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
After the Mass damper fiasco , the ferrari became the better car , this helped MS challenge for the WDC in the 2 nd half of the season...
Yes, so how does that make Ferrari overall better car?
Old 12-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Now we're talking in circles. To win a WDC, you have to have a front running car, be very quick, not make mistakes, and have a fair amount of luck. The proportions to which each champion had these componants varies from year to year, but make no mistake, each WDC had all of them.
Finally something none of us can agrue about!
Old 12-13-2007, 11:50 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S
Don't be obtuse Wayne, obviously there current car stinks.

Back when Alo won, what car was better (or even close)??? (Don't even bring up Mac without including reliability, and don't forget about tires w/Ferrari).

You can't revise history Wayne.
FInn my response to this , i said the renault was competitive , not the best car on the track as said by ^

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I think everyone except Wayne agrees that 05 & 06 Renault was as good as, if not better than Ferrari. Even Fisichella looked pretty good in it and won couple of times.

As i said before , in both years both the Ferrari and the Mclaren where as good as the renaults , the renaults where not the best car on the track in both 05 and 06, the mclaren was the faster car and should have won in 05 , the ferrari was the better car after mid season and should have won in 06 , ALONSO did well to win a WDC in both 05 and 06 as he did not have the best car on the circuit ...
Old 12-13-2007, 12:15 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Russ,
The point my friend is that we can dissect every WDC won and find reason for "if" or "could" if Kimi's is to be accepted they should have to do the same for all the others ..as this one set's a precedent in the "if" department .....
And that logic should apply to Schumacher as well?

Last edited by mitch236; 12-13-2007 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:57 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Mitch, never denied MS his place , just stated he was not my choice of greatest .......and never will, i keep in check those that will gloss over the under handed facts of his career ......
Old 12-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ray stop being ambiguous was the Renault the best car on the track or not ? during 05,06, you know we weren't discussing the 07 car .
In '05 Mac had the best (absolute) pace, however their reliablity was horrible. Renault's pace was just slightly off Mac, but the car was very reliable. Ferrari had a much slower car with ****ty tires (bridgestone)

- '05 Big advantage Renault

In '06 Ferrari narrowed the gap with Renault (and Bridgestone narrowed with Michelin), but Renault was still faster.

- '06 advantage Renault

I'm sure you'd love to say, "look how Alo beat Shumi w/equal cars". However, a more accurate statement would by "why did Alonso lose 7 races to Shumi when he had a faster car?".
Old 12-13-2007, 06:16 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,996 Posts

Mitch, never denied MS his place , just stated he was not my choice of greatest .......and never will, i keep in check those that will gloss over the under handed facts of his career ......
It pains me to no end why you have the hat of every WDC, but not my beloved Michael. It doesn't make any sense. You don't deny his place, you don't think he's the greatest, but say he is top 5 all time, don't agree with his tactics on track, but absolutely love his off track actions. Where is this hate coming from? Doesn't make any sense, does it,... when hate over comes logic. Where is the love?
Old 12-13-2007, 07:57 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

The hate is in your head , i have no hate for MS .Just keeping you guys straight on the myth thing ......
Old 12-13-2007, 08:04 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S
In '05 Mac had the best (absolute) pace, however their reliablity was horrible. Renault's pace was just slightly off Mac, but the car was very reliable. Ferrari had a much slower car with ****ty tires (bridgestone)

- '05 Big advantage Renault

In '06 Ferrari narrowed the gap with Renault (and Bridgestone narrowed with Michelin), but Renault was still faster.

- '06 advantage Renault

I'm sure you'd love to say, "look how Alo beat Shumi w/equal cars". However, a more accurate statement would by "why did Alonso lose 7 races to Shumi when he had a faster car?".
Have to disagree , after the mass damper removal , renault struggled with
their 06 car .
Old 12-14-2007, 04:33 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To go back to Ollies, point, just this year it was estimated that it took $10m budget to go from karts to F1 test drive. And even with that, there is no guarantee.

God knows I'm no defender of NASCAR as it has it's own problems, but if you look at 1/2 the F1 grid, it's all about how much money you can bring to the table. Pinquet Jr. vs. Heikki in the Renault seat is one example.
You are absolutely correct. If You guys just know where Kimi and Heikki are coming from. For example Kimi's parents are something else than rich. His father used to have 2-3 jobs at the same time to ensure his son a possibility to drive karting. When Kimi started to race outside Finland they didn't have even money for food at the end of these journeys. The only think which kept them going was Shell credit card, so they were able to buy gas for their old van and some food from Shell gas stanions. Kimi's parents are still very modest folks and even they do have money now, they do not live with luxury, it's just not their style.

What comes to Heikki. He comes from northern Finland from the part of our country where are not that much inhabitants at all, his hometown has about 10000 inhabitants. That part of Finland is mainly forest, lakes etc. http://www.suomussalmi.fi/Resource.p...lish/index.htx I suppose you can compare it to Montana, Idaho etc. in the USA. That part of Finland is poor what comes to economics, most unemploeyed are located there, because there are hardly any big companies located there. Also if think it more closely, there are only little bit over 5 million inhabitants in Finland so it's a true wonder we even had F1 drivers at all. This kind of population is not that interesting if you think for example our market volume. For big car manufacturers the Finnish market is not so attractive if only about 100 000-150 000 new cars are sold on yearly basis. F1 teams owned by car factories prefer drivers who comes from the countries where markets are. So most of the Finns (perhaps all) have had their F1 seats because of their driving skills, not because of big money or because of that their father used to be a F1 champ or both of these factors; like Piquet etc. Well, Rosberg is a ½ Finn, but he drives now under German licence mainly because of big money. It's easier to get good sponsorship with German passport than with the Finnish one. Rosberg drove GP2 under Finnish licensce, but Keke changed plans right away when he managed to get his son to F1.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:15 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
You are absolutely correct. If You guys just know where Kimi and Heikki are coming from. For example Kimi's parents are something else than rich. His father used to have 2-3 jobs at the same time to ensure his son a possibility to drive karting. When Kimi started to race outside Finland they didn't have even money for food at the end of these journeys. The only think which kept them going was Shell credit card, so they were able to buy gas for their old van and some food from Shell gas stanions. Kimi's parents are still very modest folks and even they do have money now, they do not live with luxury, it's just not their style.

What comes to Heikki. He comes from northern Finland from the part of our country where are not that much inhabitants at all, his hometown has about 10000 inhabitants. That part of Finland is mainly forest, lakes etc. http://www.suomussalmi.fi/Resource.p...lish/index.htx I suppose you can compare it to Montana, Idaho etc. in the USA. That part of Finland is poor what comes to economics, most unemploeyed are located there, because there are hardly any big companies located there. Also if think it more closely, there are only little bit over 5 million inhabitants in Finland so it's a true wonder we even had F1 drivers at all. This kind of population is not that interesting if you think for example our market volume. For big car manufacturers the Finnish market is not so attractive if only about 100 000-150 000 new cars are sold on yearly basis. F1 teams owned by car factories prefer drivers who comes from the countries where markets are. So most of the Finns (perhaps all) have had their F1 seats because of their driving skills, not because of big money or because of that their father used to be a F1 champ or both of these factors; like Piquet etc. Well, Rosberg is a ½ Finn, but he drives now under German licence mainly because of big money. It's easier to get good sponsorship with German passport than with the Finnish one. Rosberg drove GP2 under Finnish licensce, but Keke changed plans right away when he managed to get his son to F1.
In deed and when you add to that the fact that there are no real FIA tracks (or is Ahvenisto or Alastaro?) and overall only handful of them, it's somewhat amazing Finland has produced so many asphalt drivers, besides F1, this year a Finn won FIA GT series champion & ALMS GT series champion and there are succesful Finns elswhere too, for example Markus Palttala comes to mind.

Oh, and to my surprice, Flavor Flav and Ron have managed to behave, Kovalainen is a McLaren guy now!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:27 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

90 days, 9 hours, 24 minutes to Practice 1 ......

Come one guys, pace yourself.

This is a marathon, not a sprint.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

From Planet F1

'Kovalainen dropped because he was too fast'
Wednesday 12th December 2007

Heikki Kovalainen was reportedly jettisoned by Renault in favour of Nelson Piquet junior because Fernando Alonso was wary of the Finn's pace.

While confirmation of Alonso's return to Renault this week was not a surprise, the ousting of Kovalainen was unexpected. The youngster excelled during the second half of his debut season, comfortably eclipsing the lacklustre Giancarlo Fisichella.

Pointedly, team boss Flavio Briatore was unable to provide a satisfactory explanation for Kovalainen's dismissal in his farewell to both drivers, instead praising the Finn as "a fast, intelligent and engaging driver, who is definitely capable of winning races in the future."

That capability may have proved his undoing, however, with Autosport disclosing:

'It is understood that his speed ultimately cost him the chance of staying on board at Renault, because the returning Fernando Alonso did not want a team-mate to pose the kind of challenge that he faced with Lewis Hamilton at McLaren this year.'

Hamilton, by contrast, is reported to be pressing McLaren to appoint Kovalainen as his team-mate next season rather than the undistinguished Pedro de la Rosa. Rather than be cautious of being paired with a fast team-mate, Hamilton evidently believes that such a challenge will bring out the best of his own talents - as Alonso found out to his cost last season.

Toyota are also believed to have made a bid for Kovalainen's services. Remarking to Finnish television that his ousting at Renault was "something we could expect", the driver confirmed: "Luckily there are two other options with interesting offers."
Old 12-14-2007, 11:01 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,996 Posts

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman

I don't know about Mika's background, but it is remarkable that Kimi came from such a modest background, was in only 23 car races before being tapped by Peter Sauber to test in F1. A true natural driving talent!

Quick Reply: Where are all the Alonso detractors