Lets Play 'What Makes the Ideal Track Car'

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,686 Likes on 872 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

I must have missed something.

Rick asked if DMD should put Toyo RA1's on. I think that is a bit much for Green, don't you?
Old 03-01-2007, 04:41 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Rick asked if DMD should put Toyo RA1's on. I think that is a bit much for Green, don't you?
I am going to have a huge party "if" and "when" I get out of Green...
Old 03-01-2007, 04:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
OK, now I understand.
FWIW, yes, I agree. You could spend a full year in White on street tires, then move to R compounds.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:49 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sticky tires are harder to drive and can mask innate flaws in your driving, period.

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Larry - how about Toyos for our good doctor?
Here's my first hand experience, FWIW. My son Mike was having problems driving his EVO. He seemed to hit a plateau that he could not break through, and as hard as he pushed, he actually started backing up. Before the next event (at the Glen) I insisted that he go back from his Toyo RA1s to his street tires, and he agreed to do so. It was an epiphany. He quickly realized that he was over driving the front tires, and causing the car to plow out of every corner. The grip of the RA1s and the EVOs HP was masking this. The switch to street tires made it crystal clear. He started apexing a little later, managing the grip of the tires, and started flying out of the turns. By the end of the event he actually came up to me and said that the street tires had pretty good grip afterall, and that he just had to be able to feel it. Now he is ready for the R compounds again, but with his new 993, he's starting back on street tires to learn it better, and he's a Black group driver.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,686 Likes on 872 Posts

ding ding ding!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2007, 04:55 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
He seemed to hit a plateau that he could not break through, and as hard as he pushed, he actually started backing up. Before the next event (at the Glen) I insisted that he go back from his Toyo RA1s to his street tires, and he agreed to do so. It was an epiphany.
Your son sounds like he was stuck in the same situation I'm in right now with my 997. Going to sticky tires on my old M3 was terrific because I already had so many street-tire days on it; I went straight to PSCs on my 997 after two events because I thought I knew how to drive the rear-engine car. Clearly not the case.

This is a hugely helpful post; thanks Larry. My next set of tires is going to be streets, and I'll try to relearn things.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:05 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Larry,to be honest, I didn't even know about Rs tires before I came to this racing forum.
I am fine with street tires, it just came up in my lunch conversation with Rick that I probably need a second set of tires just in case of blowouts or whatever, but not necessarily Rs......
Old 03-01-2007, 05:17 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I will be in D.C., (maybe I will call TD for lunch) on 3/10.
Could you put a good word for me with Kevin or any instructor so I can get in, even though I am "a cocky green"? I will buy you dinner......

I'll be there if you want to look me up. Can't help you get in. In the future it helps if you are also a member oc CVR.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:25 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

How Street? I went out on real street tires that basically liquefied. I didn't learn anything except for "ice-driving" techniques after the second hot lap.

I agree with a street-like tire for learning, and I am still learning, so I am currently searching for a good street-like tire, but I have no interest in driving on 380 TRW tires on the track.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:36 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MPS2 are great street tires with good grip for track use.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm curious about this as well. Seems like this topic comes back again every so often.

Larry, was it that the tires were masking a technique issue or the technique needed to change for the tires? The reason I ask is that I ran street tires (Yoko ES100's) for the first half of last year and I switched to RA1's because I was really sliding going into just about every turn and they were screaming. I made some changes to my driving style based on feedback from instructors but when I changed to the RA1's, I was able to make some different adjustments that the tires allowed. Just curious which is the cart and which is the horse.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I will be in D.C., (maybe I will call TD for lunch) on 3/10.
Could you put a good word for me with Kevin or any instructor so I can get in, even though I am "a cocky green"? I will buy you dinner......
I have exactly "0" pull and if I were to actually ask Kevin you could pretty much count on NOT getting in!

You should know by March 20th either way.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:43 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

I think the horse has Goodyears, and the cart has RA1s.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Seric
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I'd say wait another year or two until you can buy a used Lotus Elise for $30k. Totally stock, that car will beat the **** out of any similarly priced 911 and will be very streetable.

At any rate, if you want to go cheap and fast, I really don't think any 911 is the answer. The "performance per dollar" ratio is very poor.

Sorry to go off on a tangent if you intended to limit the discussion to 911's.
+1 on the Elise.

(Looking to get the wife one within a couple years)
Old 03-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Conekiller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BrendanC
You should try either the (Kumho Mx's 220 treadwear) or the Falken Azenis 615's (200 treadwear). If your just using them on the track, they grip just as well in the dry as the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07 and Michelin PS2's, for a fraction of the cost. I was going to go with the Mx's because i heard they were more heat resistant, but they where sold out so i got the Azenis. I'm in green and i've only done 3 track days with them, but haven't had any heat problems.

Quick Reply: Lets Play 'What Makes the Ideal Track Car'