Sponsored by:

Lets Play 'What Makes the Ideal Track Car'

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 10:16 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendanC
I tried. Its as if the posts on 944s and "other" front engined p-cars do not exist. You have to do ALOT to an ***-ragger to make it handle like a suspension upgraded but otherwise stock 951.

TD has realized the value of a 944.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Dynamite 76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a newbie track bug bitten FR Porsche owner. I'll only say this about the 944 series, NA or Turbo; they need much attention, just check out the forum for them. 75% of post are about fixing something, something broke, etc. etc. I get a lot of joy working on the pretty thing that just sits there not moving most of the time. Now if I had $$, I'd for sure find a nice 968, but I think you'd still be wrenching or paying someone to wrench on it more often than a lot of people want.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:48 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
To me, 944s feel nose and tail heavy.
My car, which is getting a new suspension soon, feels EXACTLY like this. In fact, it goes from understeer to snap oversteer in the blink of an eye. I have been told by numerous 44 drivers that there is absolutely no reason why a 44 needs to feel this way, and that my new suspension should take care of the issue.

Originally Posted by 38D
I'm not saying a 944/961/968/928 cannot be fast. They obviously can (out east, Roy Chong, Spencer ***, and Bret Stern in their highly modifed 951s come to mind). I've just never met anyone that says a 944 series car has a superior feel to a 911.
I like the racing opportunities a 944 affords, and the fact that I do not cry when I make it all wrinkly at least until the repair bills start to roll in and the teasing continues for longer than I can even remember the "incident".
Old 03-01-2007, 10:50 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by M758
TD has realized the value of a 944.
It has been an incredible vehicle for accelerating the learning curve, if not the acceleration curve.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
I know, buy my car. I'll cut ya a deal at $27k.

LMAO...cough cough I have seen how you drive it cough cough
Old 03-01-2007, 11:04 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I think Boston would be better off tracking the Cayman for a couple of years. That car would be comfortable and dependable for the commute back and forth. Less need for a truck and trailer.
An older 911, for as great as they are, will require more maintainance. Much greater chance of being stranded far from home.
From my experience with an older 911, the cost of upkeep will not be significantly higher than the depreciation from tracking the Cayman. And if the motor on the 911 has problems? Big bucks, real fast.
Learn on something reasonable and then go all in and buy a fully setup track/race car. The middle is no mans land.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:16 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

OK fellows, I need a second set of wheels and tires and lots of brake pads on the Cayman.
Does anyone one have any suggestion for brands or types or should I just use stock?

TIA
Old 03-01-2007, 11:17 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Paul67
I am a newbie track bug bitten FR Porsche owner. I'll only say this about the 944 series, NA or Turbo; they need much attention, just check out the forum for them. 75% of post are about fixing something, something broke, etc. etc. I get a lot of joy working on the pretty thing that just sits there not moving most of the time. Now if I had $$, I'd for sure find a nice 968, but I think you'd still be wrenching or paying someone to wrench on it more often than a lot of people want.

Once I got my 944 to the level it needed to be at it has been very easy on maintence since about summer 2003. Right now I change the oil every 3 events, check the oil level each session and add fuel as needed. Pretty low maintence to me.

Most of those guys fixing are just sorting the car. Sadly many 944's have been mistread and now the owners are "catching-up" on all the work not done. Hey I got my 944 for $1600 back in 1999 and it was just inches away from being scrapped. Took me some time to "save her", but it has been well worth it.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:20 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I like the racing opportunities a 944 affords, and the fact that I do not cry when I make it all wrinkly at least until the repair bills start to roll in and the teasing continues for longer than I can even remember the "incident".
No doubt those are both big pluses for a 944. And a 944 is certainly a better learning car than most out there. But I personally don't think its the best.

Here's a little story for ya. A few years a go, I was at the track with DrJupeman and another friend of ours. The friend was a relatively new driver (I think in yellow, so he would solo) and he drove a 951 with some suspension work. The car broke, so I offered to let him drive my 914/6. He took one run in the car (jupeman was his instructor that day) and came back into the pits. "This car is horrible!" he said. "I can barely control it". Point was, that his 951 would mask mistakes that the 914 would not tolerate. We discussed this in the pits, and he ended up driving the rest of the day. The next week, he sold his 951 and bought a 914.

In my opinion, in order to get better the fastest, you learn to drive on a low power, difficult handling car. For Porsches those are 356s, 914s and SWB 911s. 30 track days in any of those will force you to learn...of just be painfully slow. Then you have to progress it up the power curve to continue to get better.

Just my opinion...your results may vary.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:28 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by 38D
In my opinion, in order to get better the fastest, you learn to drive on a low power, difficult handling car.
Again, that describes my current setup, which has been called "manageably evil" by those much more experienced than I. hmmmm maybe I shouldn't fix my suspension after all
Old 03-01-2007, 11:31 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Use stock ceramic pads like the ones on the Audi S4 (if they fit). J3 motorsport put them on my Boxster S. They work well for my ability and don't corrode the rims like race pads. Buy Porsche wheels and well....tires? MPSC, Hoosiers, Kuhmos, Toyos.

Get a trailer his year. The Porsche will pull an open aluminum trailer just fine. This insures you can bring spares and tools and get home.

Enjoy
Old 03-01-2007, 11:35 AM
M758
Race Director

I used to track my 951. Fun car, but with its hp I could mask alot my driving lack of skill.

So I moved to stripped out 944 NA. Being down 100 hp made me really learn how to drive the car since I would be slug any other way. Plus the 951 was stock and soft, but the stripped out 944 comes in "race weight" some 700lbs lighter and with 3x stiffer suspension is really light and tossable. Of course it needs to be given its low hp levels.

I will agree that stock vs stock the 944 platform is dull and numbing. However take simple 150 hp 944 and stripp all street crap from it and put a 1/2 decient suspension (not even a full boat race set-up) and the car is transformed like night and day.

Or consider how much body roll and float there is a 30 year old stock 914 suspension. Remember you need to compare apples to apples.

BTW... One draw back of many 944 Turbo drivers is their search for hp. HP is a great thing, but so easy to obtain in a 951 that many look to hp and fail to look at upgrades to the chassis or more importantly upgrades to the drive. That was one reason I stopped tracking my 944 Turbo. At the time I felt the only way to get faster was more hp or equipment. Well now after knocking off 7 seconds a lap at my local track from the time I started in 944 NA to now has been elightening to say the least.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:42 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Use stock ceramic pads like the ones on the Audi S4 (if they fit). J3 motorsport put them on my Boxster S. They work well for my ability and don't corrode the rims like race pads. Buy Porsche wheels and well....tires? MPSC, Hoosiers, Kuhmos, Toyos.

Get a trailer his year. The Porsche will pull an open aluminum trailer just fine. This insures you can bring spares and tools and get home.

Enjoy
Randy I have an trailex and ready to tow...
What brand of tires you have on your boxster? if you like them and reccomend them that is good enough for me....
Old 03-01-2007, 11:49 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I'm using Khomos on 18" Porsche wheels. I have a set of Hoosiers I will be putting on if the wheels I bought on ebay ever arrive. Khomos are fairly inexpensive and last well. No personal experience but Toyos seem to be the same.
Untill I 'fix' the driver no need for super tires, HP, suspension or car. I am by far the 'Weakest Link'. I put the 'T' in turtle.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Randy I have an trailex and ready to tow...
What brand of tires you have on your boxster? if you like them and reccomend them that is good enough for me....
No R compounds for you dental boy! Stick to the street tires for this year. I can promise you that you do not have the talent to learn on tires that have higher grip/lower slip angles.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: Lets Play 'What Makes the Ideal Track Car'