Sponsored by:

PCA medical committee revoked my race license

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2024, 02:48 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Again, PCA is not the problem here.

There are a few individuals who seem to be the problem.

PCA is an awesome club, in which the HPDE/Club Racing programs have changed my life for the better by a million percent.

I wouldn't have ever driven on a racetrack if not for PCA, let alone instructing, etc.

If there a very few bad apples in the barrel, that means the other 99.99% of apples in the barrel are good to eat.

PCA as a whole is an amazing club. I just hope people can make the distinction between the few bad apples and PCA as a whole. They are NOT the same thing!!

Last edited by dgrobs; 06-12-2024 at 03:09 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by dgrobs:
dan212 (06-12-2024), mlct (06-12-2024), peterp (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 03:03 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 744 Likes on 366 Posts

I'm going to say this - and I'm not saying is as any sort of validation of who's currently in charge doing what or how - but if people have issues with the volunteers running the show, they need to step up and volunteer themselves and try to make things change. I know you've all heard that a million times, but there is a lot of truth to it.
(I wrote a whole long dissertation about my volunteering in PCA from area social director up to zone rep, but deleted it because none of that matters. Step up and make a change if you're unhappy, don't just bitch about it).

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

The following 4 users liked this post by NaroEscape:
BigT (06-13-2024), coryf (06-13-2024), Matt Romanowski (06-12-2024), th964 (06-13-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 03:05 PM
DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 20 Posts

Perhaps, but I would suggest that the percentage of your "bad apples" increases with the level of responsibility in the club, and those are the ones who are making the decisions that directly affect the "quality of life" that the rank-and-file experience during their interactions with the club. A couple of bad apples in my bushel basket of Fiji's resulted in my now being "Pano-only"...
The following users liked this post:
needmoregarage (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 03:07 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,391 Likes on 1,927 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
I'll venture a guess that 99.99+% of the club volunteers are working hard and doing an excellent job.
But being an unpaid volunteer doesn't preclude one from lusting after/consolidating/abusing power.
City planning commission comes to mind...
I'm going to be honest here - I don't think anyone I am having a problem with is a bad person. Is there a certain level of arrogance and conceit involved? Absolutely, but I don't think a bunch of strangers banded together specifically to destroy my race season.

It doesn't make what they are doing any less wrong - I just think they range from weak and misguided to arrogant and conceited.

Originally Posted by Manifold
I think that percentage is optimistic, but I do think the majority of volunteers are working hard and doing a good job. The issue is that a few people in positions of power who are doing a bad job can do a LOT of damage. The checks and balances are not strong.
There are checks and balances for finances and none for the medical committee. Remember, SCCA got rid of its medical committee less than ten years ago because of BS like this.

Originally Posted by DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Without a doubt, and I don't think anyone would dispute it. The point is that many of the volunteers who have managed to obtain "senior management" positions are, not surprisingly, keenly interested in maintaining those positions, and perhaps will choose to overlook what would otherwise be considered rational and logical concerns from the "rank-and-file" club members. A "circling of the wagons" strategy if you will...
I have felt a high level of "who the hell does this guy think he is having an opinion?!" PCA has a long history of circling the wagons and declaring people with dissenting views "enemies of the state."

Last edited by LuigiVampa; 06-12-2024 at 03:09 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
dan212 (06-12-2024), DKP 97 C2 Coupe (06-12-2024), M13S (06-14-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 03:10 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,999 Likes on 2,271 Posts

No question, the PCA is an awesome club. Been a PCA member for couple of decades and have no complaints.

Given the conversation, just asking a few questions about the appointment process and hierarchy structure to fill in a few operational holes of understanding.

Nothing more complex than anything that involves people, parking or pets.
Old 06-12-2024, 03:18 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
..... I don't think a bunch of strangers banded together specifically to destroy my race season.
"
Did you ever think that...maybe... a bunch of 991 Cup (or 911Cup) guys banded together and paid off the medical committee to keep you from racing?
Or maybe Harry is getting a cup car himself and want's you out of the way?
This honestly all makes more sense from that perspective...
The following 2 users liked this post by NaroEscape:
dgrobs (06-12-2024), Matt Romanowski (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 03:19 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Perhaps, but I would suggest that the percentage of your "bad apples" increases with the level of responsibility in the club, and those are the ones who are making the decisions that directly affect the "quality of life" that the rank-and-file experience during their interactions with the club. A couple of bad apples in my bushel basket of Fiji's resulted in my now being "Pano-only"...
Dave, are you saying that until you left (yes, I know the situation) your position as CDI for your region, because you were higher up than anyone else in your regions' DE program, that you were one of the bad apples? By your own definition here, you were. I don't believe that to be true. Someone above you was a bad apple, but were you? Does your increased level of responsibility make you a bad apple? I don't think it does.
From the few times we've met (all at Pitt Race), and from what I've heard from others, you were NOT one of the bad apples. Maybe you had an issue with a bad apple, but you WERE NOT one of the bad apples.
Painting with a broad brush can go both ways. Double edged sword.

Also, if you put apples in a barrel with Fiji's, you're just asking for trouble to begin with...
Old 06-12-2024, 03:27 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 589 Likes on 355 Posts

Ascending to a leadership roll within an organization does not automatically cause bad-apple behavior.
But I suspect seeking out positions of authority is a trait of the bad apple.
Just my jaded opinion....
Manifold (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 04:37 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 911 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
I'm going to say this - and I'm not saying is as any sort of validation of who's currently in charge doing what or how - but if people have issues with the volunteers running the show, they need to step up and volunteer themselves and try to make things change. I know you've all heard that a million times, but there is a lot of truth to it.
(I wrote a whole long dissertation about my volunteering in PCA from area social director up to zone rep, but deleted it because none of that matters. Step up and make a change if you're unhappy, don't just bitch about it).
I am sorry but this is BS! There is no way the average Joe is going to volunteer at the local level of PCA and EVER have an impact at the National level of PCA. It is a total political game that you have to play and, even if you play it well, you may never get anywhere close to a National PCA position where you would have any real power. If you did, it would YEARS down the road.

Also, you do not have to volunteer to point out when things are not being run properly or when there are injustices in the system...or to complain loudly.

So just stop with posts like this!
Zhao (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 04:56 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by winders
I am sorry but this is BS! There is no way the average Joe is going to volunteer at the local level of PCA and EVER have an impact at the National level of PCA. It is a total political game that you have to play and, even if you play it well, you may never get anywhere close to a National PCA position where you would have any real power. If you did, it would YEARS down the road.

Also, you do not have to volunteer to point out when things are not being run properly or when there are injustices in the system...or to complain loudly.

So just stop with posts like this!
About as predictable a response as I could have expected from you.
So I guess all the National staff just suddenly appeared there right? Never did anything at the local level?
Maybe understand what your taking about before you post anything once in a while.
Old 06-12-2024, 05:33 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 911 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
About as predictable a response as I could have expected from you.
So I guess all the National staff just suddenly appeared there right? Never did anything at the local level?
Maybe understand what your taking about before you post anything once in a while.
Too funny. I have volunteered in National clubs and made it to a National position in one of them. I have been a member of PCA since 1993 and know people that have volunteered and aspired to National positions and have watched what they had to go through politically to make progress in doing so. So I do indeed know what I am talking about. PCA is the most political club I have ever seen. If you are not part of the right group or don't have the right people as friends, you are NEVER getting anywhere at the National level. You have zero influence on National at the local and regional levels. ALL the power is at National and they don't share. Unless this changes, and it hasn't in the last 30 years, your suggestion doesn't help with what the OP is experiencing.

Go ahead, volunteer. I think that is a great thing to do. But, if you think anyone that volunteers today will have any impact on what happens at the National level any time soon, you are dreaming. Maybe 10 to 20 years down the road, if they are politically savvy and make the right friends, they have might have a shot.
Old 06-12-2024, 07:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Ascending to a leadership roll within an organization does not automatically cause bad-apple behavior.
But I suspect seeking out positions of authority is a trait of the bad apple.
Just my jaded opinion....
Example: homeowners associations
The following 4 users liked this post by Veloce Raptor:
Manifold (06-12-2024), Mike Roblin (06-13-2024), Nowanker (06-12-2024), ProCoach (06-12-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 10:15 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
Too funny. I have volunteered in National clubs and made it to a National position in one of them. I have been a member of PCA since 1993 and know people that have volunteered and aspired to National positions and have watched what they had to go through politically to make progress in doing so. So I do indeed know what I am talking about. PCA is the most political club I have ever seen. If you are not part of the right group or don't have the right people as friends, you are NEVER getting anywhere at the National level. You have zero influence on National at the local and regional levels. ALL the power is at National and they don't share. Unless this changes, and it hasn't in the last 30 years, your suggestion doesn't help with what the OP is experiencing.

Go ahead, volunteer. I think that is a great thing to do. But, if you think anyone that volunteers today will have any impact on what happens at the National level any time soon, you are dreaming. Maybe 10 to 20 years down the road, if they are politically savvy and make the right friends, they have might have a shot.
Now now ladies. You’re both very pretty….
Nowanker (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 06:23 PM
RPM
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative outcome

One can imagine an alternative outcome to Todd's unfortunate situation.
PCA will amend its operational practices and the chief medical officer or the medical committee will have the absolute final say with regard to any medical issues on any racing license application.
The EC will likely revoke membership for Todd on grounds of public disparagement of PCA officials and PCA policies.
Should anyone choose to litigate against PCA it is very likely that their membership will be revoked.

While I hope that Todd prevails, bureaucratic wagon circling should not surprise anyone.

Old 06-13-2024, 06:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Now now ladies. You’re both very pretty….

Quick Reply: PCA medical committee revoked my race license