Sponsored by:

PCA medical committee revoked my race license

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 10:14 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,773 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
About as predictable a response as I could have expected from you.
So I guess all the National staff just suddenly appeared there right? Never did anything at the local level?
Maybe understand what your taking about before you post anything once in a while.
As a board member of the largest local racing club under a regional sactioning body, we at the local club level were 100% united in trying to effect change that was vital to club racing's survival, and it took us years of going nowhere with the regional level board. It took regional members dying off and a couple 'young' guys that were like minded to finally set the wheels in motion for us. They got on because they knew the right people and were in the right city which is traditionally a revival to our club.

So I'd say based on my experience Winders is if anything probably really smoothing over just how 'easy' it is to effect change at the national level from the local level.
Old 06-13-2024, 10:20 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,289 Likes on 2,445 Posts

Maybe the PCA regions should break off into seperate clubs. Having a national organization and bureaucracy seems to do more harm than good.
Old 06-13-2024, 10:49 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,886 Likes on 1,773 Posts

A committee has been assigned to investigate my claims and I will be speaking with them very soon.

PCA is not going to let me race in the interim.

I should be at Watkins Glen right now, but I'm not.
The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
thebishman (06-14-2024), Veloce Raptor (06-14-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 11:15 PM
cienegavista
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Too funny. I have volunteered in National clubs and made it to a National position in one of them. I have been a member of PCA since 1993 and know people that have volunteered and aspired to National positions and have watched what they had to go through politically to make progress in doing so. So I do indeed know what I am talking about. PCA is the most political club I have ever seen. If you are not part of the right group or don't have the right people as friends, you are NEVER getting anywhere at the National level. You have zero influence on National at the local and regional levels. ALL the power is at National and they don't share. Unless this changes, and it hasn't in the last 30 years, your suggestion doesn't help with what the OP is experiencing.

Go ahead, volunteer. I think that is a great thing to do. But, if you think anyone that volunteers today will have any impact on what happens at the National level any time soon, you are dreaming. Maybe 10 to 20 years down the road, if they are politically savvy and make the right friends, they have might have a shot.
What Scott says is absolutely correct. The top positions, including CR, rotate out so it's not that the EC or CR folks stay in place for years, but........... in order to be picked as a candidate and move forward it takes years and the individuals are hand picked by a few folks, a self perpetuating situation.
The following 2 users liked this post by cienegavista:
DKP 97 C2 Coupe (06-14-2024), Mahler9th (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 02:28 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 759 Likes on 386 Posts

Wow, what a crazy deal. I race at my local club in GT4 cars, run some SCCA Super Tour events and also do some MX-5 Cup racing with IMSA. Was thinking about getting a 911Cup and doing PCA, but after seeing this, I'll happily stay away. I have a CPAP as well and none of these I run with care at all as long as the doctor signs off.
Old 06-14-2024, 11:09 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Just in case there is someone new, Todd isn't allowed to race at the Zone 1 PCA Watkin Glen Club race because he snores, but would be allowed by the FIA to race at Le Mans if he was a better driver. You are allowed to use a CPAP in France without repercussion.
The following 5 users liked this post by Matt Romanowski:
dbf73 (06-17-2024), Ksdaoski (06-14-2024), LuigiVampa (06-14-2024), thebishman (06-14-2024), Veloce Raptor (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 11:54 AM
DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for sharing a fact that provides further context to Todd's plight.

I believe that this has been mentioned in the thread before, but as I type this, there are numerous airliners in the skies above us who are being commanded by pilots who use a CPAP machine. I would suggest that the odds of someone dozing off are considerably greater when at cruise altitude on autopilot during a six-hour flight, as opposed to competing in a road racing event...
The following 2 users liked this post by DKP 97 C2 Coupe:
krell (06-17-2024), LuigiVampa (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 12:11 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 506 Likes on 312 Posts

A committee! Finally, some action.
Luigi's case will finally be heard by the OCDO.
The Official Committee for Deflection and Obfuscation.
Unfortunately, the proceedings will be held behind closed doors, and the results will not be made public.
And Luigi will be compelled to sign an NDA before they will disclose their findings to him.

Damn, I hope that's just sarcasm...
The following 2 users liked this post by Nowanker:
LuigiVampa (06-14-2024), thebishman (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 12:15 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

The doctor has spoken, he is wrong, he can't admit that he's wrong, and his colleagues in volunteer leadership positions have rallied around him, so now he really can't admit that he's wrong, because that would be very embarrassing for him and all who rallied around him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupshift
The following users liked this post:
LuigiVampa (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 12:32 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Thanks for sharing a fact that provides further context to Todd's plight.

I believe that this has been mentioned in the thread before, but as I type this, there are numerous airliners in the skies above us who are being commanded by pilots who use a CPAP machine. I would suggest that the odds of someone dozing off are considerably greater when at cruise altitude on autopilot during a six-hour flight, as opposed to competing in a road racing event...

I would venture that the odds of a Commercial pilot with treated OSA drifting off to sleep mid flight is 100’sX greater than a driver at a road course. Perhaps 1,000X’s greater.

Do you know the official rules re: Pilots and documentation of OSA treatment?
Old 06-14-2024, 12:52 PM
DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

I am certainly not an FAA Aviation Medical Examiner (AME), but I know from former colleagues that pilots with sleep apnea can maintain their FAA Medical Certificate by providing data from their "recording CPAP" machine to their AME during their flight physicals. The FAA also allows for pilots to have a "home" CPAP, and smaller, portable one in which they take with them on trips. Bottom line is that there are many active airline pilots who use a CPAP machine..

Last edited by DKP 97 C2 Coupe; 06-14-2024 at 12:52 PM. Reason: typo
thebishman (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 01:13 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 326 Posts

Why do these keep showing up on my feeds??

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Veloce Raptor (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I am certainly not an FAA Aviation Medical Examiner (AME), but I know from former colleagues that pilots with sleep apnea can maintain their FAA Medical Certificate by providing data from their "recording CPAP" machine to their AME during their flight physicals. The FAA also allows for pilots to have a "home" CPAP, and smaller, portable one in which they take with them on trips. Bottom line is that there are many active airline pilots who use a CPAP machine..
PCA's position seems to be that someone with OSA who uses a CPAP can race if they provide data showing usage of the CPAP. If I were in Luigi's shoes, I probably would have just provided the data ...
peterp (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 02:51 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
PCA's position seems to be that someone with OSA who uses a CPAP can race if they provide data showing usage of the CPAP. If I were in Luigi's shoes, I probably would have just provided the data ...
To add to the ridiculousness of all this maybe if drivers promise to wear their portable CPAP while driving they won't have to supply data. Something like this...

Old 06-14-2024, 05:43 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 615 Posts

I wonder if the FAA got their standards from the Long Haul Truckers Assn

J/K of course….but it does sound like there are far more parallels between a professional aviator flying “long haul” routes and an over-the-road truck driver, rather than a PCA Club Racer (and I mean no disrespect to airline pilots - some of my best friends are airline pilots, right…DKP?)

Last edited by needmoregarage; 06-14-2024 at 08:02 PM.

Quick Reply: PCA medical committee revoked my race license