Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA medical committee revoked my race license

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2024 | 08:31 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chartersb
Reducing the perceived hassle of getting a PCA race license would make it easier for Porsche licensed racers from other sanctioning groups to be able to race with us a few times every year. It would be nice to see PCA CR events growing rather than continuing to shrink.. Over 200 racers at Watkins Glen in 2017, 167 racers this year.
THIS. There are so many people out there who run in multiple series for any number of reasons......schedule, location, etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by RossP:
9114609048 (06-19-2024), esscape26 (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024 | 12:36 PM
esscape26
Racer

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
um... I assume neither of you have ever seen the medical form then? There is a lot of your medical history and information on it that gets filled out and sent in.
For one, it goes to Susan Shire - not a doctor at all. What triggers her to have the medical committee review I don't know, unless they review all of them. But in reality, everything is already being sent in to the race staff anyway.
And just above your signature is this:

"I certify that the above is true and correct information. I give my permission for the PCA Club Racing Committee (including the Club Racing Medical Committee) to access and/or exchange information with any health care providers or institutions as well as the medical administration of other sanctioning bodies. I will immediately notify PCA Club Racing if there is any change in my medical condition after the submission of this Medical Evaluation Form."
I didn't read that as PCA talking directly to my doctor to mediate with the committee. That line is overly broad IMO, and at the time of inquiry, the racer should know specifically what the information is being used for and they should have a role in this 'mediation.' (FYI< there were days when DE drivers, never mind racers, were being canceled by insurers, which is what originally gives me trepidation about personal health info or what you told your doctor getting passed around. So yes, I think another release at the time of inquiry would be helpful.

FYI: On the waiver for your medical, PCA has you write the language based on their 'prompts' but not a template, are you kidding me?

Last edited by esscape26; 06-19-2024 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-19-2024 | 01:05 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan212
Standing around a truck stop at night...... NO........Nope

😂😂😂
You ain't lived until you've had a lot lizard hop in your right seat with no notice.....
The following users liked this post:
dan212 (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024 | 02:08 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by esscape26
I didn't read that as PCA talking directly to my doctor to mediate with the committee. That line is overly broad IMO, and at the time of inquiry, the racer should know specifically what the information is being used for and they should have a role in this 'mediation.' (FYI< there were days when DE drivers, never mind racers, were being canceled by insurers, which is what originally gives me trepidation about personal health info or what you told your doctor getting passed around. So yes, I think another release at the time of inquiry would be helpful.

FYI: On the waiver for your medical, PCA has you write the language based on their 'prompts' but not a template, are you kidding me?
This is a large part of the problem - what is the medical committee's authority? In all my research I have never found out when it was formed, how it was formed, and if it is a committee or sub-committee. What are its rules of governance? Who has oversight over the medical committee?

The medical committee have only published two pieces of information - a concussion policy and the medical evaluation form. That's it. No writings, rules or minimum standards. The elected and appointed leaders, whom the medical committee should be subordinate to, don't want to exercise their authority because that would be deemed "overruling doctors." The medical committee operates without oversight and with impunity.

I've been told by people that I trust the judgment of that the medical committee does good things for PCA, but there needs to be checks and balances, as well as proper governance, for when it doesn't.

Keep in mind that throughout this past three months Harry Kintzi, the chair of the medical committee, has maintained his position that drivers can fall asleep behind the wheel of a racecar. Its ridiculous for anyone to say, and the fact that Kintzi used to club race, makes it all the more fancible.

I'm still waiting to be told where the minimum standard is that requires me to provide the information being requested. This should have been over the day I raised this issue because there is no minimum standard.

If there is no minimum standard the Executive Committee is not overruling the doctors - they are saying that a rule being enforced doesn't exist.
Old 06-19-2024 | 02:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
You ain't lived until you've had a lot lizard hop in your right seat with no notice.....
Yuck

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 06-19-2024 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-19-2024 | 02:36 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
???
Lot Lizards are truck stop hookers. They "hop" from one cab to the next.

Surprised you didn't know they were called that, with all your truck stop experience and all...

Edit: And just to keep this post thread related, from what I understand, most of the truckers DO INDEED FALL ASLEEP when the lizard finishes and hops out....

Last edited by dgrobs; 06-19-2024 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-19-2024 | 02:58 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
This is a large part of the problem - what is the medical committee's authority? In all my research I have never found out when it was formed, how it was formed, and if it is a committee or sub-committee. What are its rules of governance? Who has oversight over the medical committee?

The medical committee have only published two pieces of information - a concussion policy and the medical evaluation form. That's it. No writings, rules or minimum standards. The elected and appointed leaders, whom the medical committee should be subordinate to, don't want to exercise their authority because that would be deemed "overruling doctors." The medical committee operates without oversight and with impunity.

I've been told by people that I trust the judgment of that the medical committee does good things for PCA, but there needs to be checks and balances, as well as proper governance, for when it doesn't.

Keep in mind that throughout this past three months Harry Kintzi, the chair of the medical committee, has maintained his position that drivers can fall asleep behind the wheel of a racecar. Its ridiculous for anyone to say, and the fact that Kintzi used to club race, makes it all the more fancible.

I'm still waiting to be told where the minimum standard is that requires me to provide the information being requested. This should have been over the day I raised this issue because there is no minimum standard.

If there is no minimum standard the Executive Committee is not overruling the doctors - they are saying that a rule being enforced doesn't exist.
Seems to me that a lot of this PCA volunteer stuff is handled pretty informally, and the medical committee isn't any sort of official committee. Since the scope of the committee relates only to club racing, it seems to be an ad hoc subcommittee in the club racing committee, to the extent that it's a committee at all. I don't see any reason why the medical subcommittee should have any authority at all, they should only be advisory. When I was Safety Chair in my region, my role was similarly advisory, I had no authority whatsoever, either officially or implied. It's the paternalistic bureaucratic activism of the medical subcommittee which is creating a situation where the EC feels pressured to defer to them.

Last edited by Manifold; 06-19-2024 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-19-2024 | 03:01 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Seems to me that a lot of this PCA volunteer stuff is handled pretty informally, and the medical committee isn't any sort of official committee. Since the scope of the committee relates only to club racing, it seems to be a subcommittee in the club racing committee, to the extent that it's a committee at all. I don't see any reason why the medical subcommittee should have any authority at all, they should only be advisory. When I was Safety Chair in my region, my role was similarly advisory, I had no authority whatsoever, either officially or implied.
Come on Manny, please try to keep this thread truck stop/lot lizard related. Why the hijack?

Also, see you at Pitt tomorrow to Sunday?
Old 06-19-2024 | 03:35 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Seems to me that a lot of this PCA volunteer stuff is handled pretty informally, and the medical committee isn't any sort of official committee. Since the scope of the committee relates only to club racing, it seems to be an ad hoc subcommittee in the club racing committee, to the extent that it's a committee at all. I don't see any reason why the medical subcommittee should have any authority at all, they should only be advisory. When I was Safety Chair in my region, my role was similarly advisory, I had no authority whatsoever, either officially or implied. It's the paternalistic bureaucratic activism of the medical subcommittee which is creating a situation where the EC feels pressured to defer to them.
i don't think there is much that is informal at the national level. There is a nominating committee that is very involved.
Old 06-19-2024 | 04:12 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
i don't think there is much that is informal at the national level. There is a nominating committee that is very involved.
Perhaps, but whatever this 'medical committee' is, it's not listed as one of the National Committees and resides within the Club Racing Committee:

https://www.pca.org/connect/national-committee-chairs

https://www.pca.org/connect/club-racing
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
Matt Romanowski (06-19-2024), ProCoach (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024 | 04:13 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Come on Manny, please try to keep this thread truck stop/lot lizard related. Why the hijack?

Also, see you at Pitt tomorrow to Sunday?
Unfortunately, haven't made it to the track yet this season. Dealing with 'life stuff' ...
Old 06-19-2024 | 04:15 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately, haven't made it to the track yet this season. Dealing with 'life stuff' ...
Oh man, sorry to hear that. Hope it all works out for you and you get some laps in soon. Good luck....
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024 | 04:49 PM
peterp
Drifting

Good point. Fitness lies on a spectrum, and a person with below average fitness could still race. The real question is whether someone has a medical condition which could result in sudden and major diminution of ability to drive, thereby increasing the chance of an incident. I don't think OSA falls in that category, since the effect is comparable to being tired (no chance of falling asleep at all while racing), and being tired is not a condition which disqualifies someone from racing.
I'm trying so hard to bite my tongue and stay silent, but so many of these comments are just moving resolution backwards. I want to preface this comment by saying that I have agreed with the content of virtually all of @Manifold 's posts throughout this thread. But this representation of the impact of OSA ("since the effect is comparable to being tired") is just objectively false. Long-term deprivation of oxygen -- the unambiguous result of not using CPAP regularly -- does not have a binary result of "sleep or no sleep" impact. Those who don't use it are significantly impaired, whether they fall asleep or not. The entire body is deprived of oxygen over a long period of time --- it is totally different than somebody who just didn't get enough sleep the night before. If you don't get enough sleep, you're fine as soon as you get sufficient rest. It takes weeks of consistent CPAP usage to recover from long-term oxygen deprivation. Those two things seem similar, but they are not, at all. To say anything else is only magnify the point that people without medical knowledge should not be making proclamations about medical issues.

Nobody with OSA, who hasn't used a CPAP consistently, should be on track. Period. From that perspective, it's not a bad idea to get data to confirm usage. Is PCA's decision to require data necessary? Should they take the racer's word for it (especially the word of a top driver with years of experience in the series) rather than require the data? Should a doctor's general statement about suitability for racing override their concern for confirming usage? These are all judgment calls -- and we can all debate whether they made the right calls or not in this case. But it moves the resolution backwards to dismiss the seriousness of non-use -- asking for "a pass" on proof of usage, when the entire dialog is trying to portray the issue as non-serious, does not help that request at all (for reasons that should be very obvious).

Last edited by peterp; 06-19-2024 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2024 | 04:50 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Perhaps, but whatever this 'medical committee' is, it's not listed as one of the National Committees and resides within the Club Racing Committee:

https://www.pca.org/connect/national-committee-chairs

https://www.pca.org/connect/club-racing
The Bylaws do not permit subcommittees and I have heard that the medical committee does work outside of club racing. Also, why do they not refer to themselves as the medical sub-committee?

Again, sloppy governance, especially for so powerful of a "committee".
Old 06-19-2024 | 04:59 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by peterp
I'm trying so hard to bite my tongue and stay silent, but so many of these comments are just moving resolution backwards. I want to preface this comment by saying that I have agreed with the content of virtually all of @Manifold 's posts throughout this thread. But this representation of the impact of OSA ("since the effect is comparable to being tired") is just objectively false. Long-term deprivation of oxygen -- the unambiguous result of not using CPAP regularly -- does not have a binary result of "sleep or no sleep" impact. Those who don't use it are significantly impaired, whether they fall asleep or not. The entire body is deprived of oxygen over a long period of time --- it is totally different than somebody who just didn't get enough sleep the night before. If you don't get enough sleep, you're fine as soon as you get sufficient rest. It takes weeks of consistent CPAP usage to recover from long-term oxygen deprivation. Those two things seem similar, but they are not, at all. To say anything else is only magnify the point that people without medical knowledge should not be commenting on medical issues.

Nobody with OSA, who hasn't used a CPAP consistently, should be on track. Period. From that perspective, it's not a bad idea to get data to confirm usage. Is PCA's decision to require data necessary? Should they take the racer's word for it (especially the word of a top driver with years of experience in the series) rather than require the data? Should a doctor's general statement about suitability for racing override their concern for confirming usage? These are all judgment calls -- and we can all debate whether they made the right calls or not in this case. But it moves the resolution backwards to dismiss the seriousness of non-use -- asking for "a pass" on proof of usage, when the entire dialog is trying to portray the issue as non-serious, does not help that request at all (for reasons that should be very obvious).
Then do they have to ask for insulin usage proof from diabetics? Hypertension medication usage? I'm not a doctor, but I've slid on a slippery slope once or twice.
The following 2 users liked this post by Matt Romanowski:
Mahler9th (06-20-2024), ProCoach (06-19-2024)

Quick Reply: PCA medical committee revoked my race license