Sponsored by:

PCA medical committee revoked my race license

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 03:32 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Originally Posted by M_Weining

Anyone else up for a boycott of the club racing program!
😮
Old 05-05-2024, 04:30 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 990 Likes on 594 Posts

I have to do more of these and send them out when I'm back.

The following 4 users liked this post by Matt Romanowski:
Carlo_Carrera (05-05-2024), LuigiVampa (05-06-2024), mlct (05-05-2024), peterp (05-07-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 04:57 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,554 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I'll never race with PCA again rather than give in on a point where I know I am right. My next three races are SVRA, IGT and HSR. I'm hanging onto being involved with PCA DE as CVR's assistant track chair, but I will find it difficult to continue any association with PCA if this is not decided fairly.

PCA got back to me and the two most recent reasons the medical committee (when I say medical committee I mean Harry Kintzi because he is the one pushing to retain this rule) gave for continuing to insist that they need my CPAP data are:

1. The DOT trucking standards for people with sleep apnea are the only standards they could find, other than the FAA, and I should be glad they didn't go with the more restrictive FAA standards. In other words, a standard with no correlation to club racing is better than not having a standard.
2. If I don't use my CPAP machine I could have long term health problems.

After weeks and weeks of waiting this was the medical committee's justification for continuing to require my CPAP data. There was a meeting and a group of people actually agreed that these were two good reasons to defend their position. You cannot make this up!

The second point is the most absurd - the medical committee is NOT MY PERSONAL PHYSICIAN! How is it in their mandate, and why would it be any of their business, as to my long term health? This was one of two reasons they gave to defend their position!

I also asked PCA if they could point to one single racing incident where a driver fell asleep or the reason for the incident was blamed on the driver being tired. They just made a big change to the 13/13 rule, which they claim was based on all this data PCA has collected collected, but no one can show me a single incident where sleep apnea was even mentioned. Where is the risk? This is a solution in search of a problem!

The fact that Ken Laborde, PCA's general counsel, has convinced PCA leadership that it is a risk to overrule the medical committee is another absurdity. What risk? When is there ever going to be a situation where I get into an incident, with my heart rate well over 100 bps, and someone is going to say "he was falling asleep"?!?!

I also brought up that there are, to my knowledge, only two amateur racing organizations that have a medical committee: PCA and BMW CCA.

While the medical evaluation forms for PCA and BMW CCA are almost identical, the huge difference is that PCA's form contains several statements that the PCA medical committee has the final say regardless of what the driver's doctor says. The BMW CCA form gives the power to the driver's doctor to make the decision as to the fitness of the driver.

I'm being told that the next time my issue will be discussed is mid-June. I have to wait FIVE WEEKS just for them to talk about it again! They changed the 13/13 rule in the week between RA and LRP but my issue will still be unresolved after three and a half months!

I may go race with other clubs, and I may pull back on other activities with PCA, but I will stay here and fight until the medical committee no longer has final say over a driver's fitness to drive. Who trust's their judgment with all that has happened? Surely not me!

How are all the people involved with this not embarrassed?! They look like fools!
PCA clearly does not realize who they are dealing with. Go get'em tiger.
The following users liked this post:
LuigiVampa (05-06-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 460 Likes on 299 Posts

"My next three races are SVRA, IGT and HSR."

Great to hear. Now, just try not to fall asleep on the track!
The following 2 users liked this post by Cuda911:
LuigiVampa (05-06-2024), ProCoach (05-06-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 08:24 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Carlo_Carrera;19421788]PCA clearly does not realize who they are dealing with. Go get'em tiger's/QUOTE]
I can feel the coup coming….
PCA has and always will be my first track love.
Student to instructor, PCA every step of the way.
5 down, 11 to go.
This **** with Todd just baffles me…..
LuigiVampa (05-06-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 10:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

It baffles me too. It is very puzzling and disappointing.
LuigiVampa (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 12:27 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,391 Likes on 1,927 Posts

I told Aaron Ambrosino, the PCA President, that it was unrealistic for me to wait 5 weeks for the executive committee to talk about this again. The flat out response was that there would be no decision before the PCA WGI on June 14.

PCA is a joke and they do not give a F*CK about their members.

mlct (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 12:30 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

I told Aaron Ambrosino, the PCA President, that it was unrealistic for me to wait 5 weeks for the executive committee to talk about this again. The flat out response was that there would be no decision before the PCA WGI on June 14.

Love the new sig...
Old 05-06-2024, 12:55 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,491 Likes on 2,554 Posts

PCA is social club that does things like DE, club racing, etc. and has a rotating group of people who voluntarily serve in various unpaid leadership and other positions. When some people in those positions do dumb things, I don't take that to represent PCA as a whole. The vast majority of my interactions in PCA are with people who attend events and aren't in those positions, and many have become my friends. That's the reason I continue to attend PCA events.

What PCA is doing in your case is clearly wrong, and arguably also foolish. But you need to be realistic about the dynamics at play here. They hold the power, and you're not going to convince them to change their position by giving arguments, calling them out publicly, and saying they're stupid. Unless you can exert some real leverage, such as by causing a 'class action' which impacts the financial viability of club racing, it's basically just you against them, and they won't change their position. If you can't exert that leverage, you need to think about whether you can appease them and enable them to change their position while saving face.
Old 05-06-2024, 12:57 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 744 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by M_Weining
Anyone else up for a boycott of the club racing program!
I was thinking the same. I was thinking everyone should threaten to boycott WGI.

At this point, there is no reason for them to give in to Todd. Lose one racer, no big deal. Lose a whole race worth of people, that makes a difference.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

The following 2 users liked this post by NaroEscape:
fuenfer (05-06-2024), thebishman (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 12:59 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
I was thinking the same. I was thinking everyone should threaten to boycott WGI.

At this point, there is no reason for them to give in to Todd. Lose one racer, no big deal. Lose a whole race worth of people, that makes a difference.
fuenfer (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 01:16 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,391 Likes on 1,927 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
PCA is social club that does things like DE, club racing, etc. and has a rotating group of people who voluntarily serve in various unpaid leadership and other positions. When some people in those positions do dumb things, I don't take that to represent PCA as a whole. The vast majority of my interactions in PCA are with people who attend events and aren't in those positions, and many have become my friends. That's the reason I continue to attend PCA events.

What PCA is doing in your case is clearly wrong, and arguably also foolish. But you need to be realistic about the dynamics at play here. They hold the power, and you're not going to convince them to change their position by giving arguments, calling them out publicly, and saying they're stupid. Unless you can exert some real leverage, such as by causing a 'class action' which impacts the financial viability of club racing, it's basically just you against them, and they won't change their position. If you can't exert that leverage, you need to think about whether you can appease them and enable them to change their position while saving face.
For over ten years now I have been passionate about almost every part of PCA that involves driving. I race, I drive HPDE, I instruct, I volunteer. You will find no bigger fan of PCA than me.

That being said, PCA completely ignored me and told me to pound sand, until I made my fight public.

I told the president just last week if the EC agreed to put to a vote getting rid of the medical committee's ability to override a driver's doctor, I would give my data now, and await the vote next year. I would abide by the vote no matter what. I also offered to give an affidavit of compliance. I've offered compromises and been told no.

They may be in control of the outcome but I am in control of the narrative.

Originally Posted by NaroEscape

I appreciate the solidarity, but I don't think PCA would care at all. Racers are maybe 1% of the membership.

I honestly don't even feel like driving anymore. It's just one big F-ing joke.
The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
BlueBarchetta (05-09-2024), mlct (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 01:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

That is apparent. What a f'ing joke
LuigiVampa (05-07-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 01:40 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

I honestly don't even feel like driving anymore. It's just one big F-ing joke.
With PCA, right? Not with anybody, just with PCA, right?

I hope you don't stop driving all together. That would be bad. We all know how much you love this game...
LuigiVampa (05-07-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 07:54 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,554 Likes on 1,619 Posts

....I honestly don't even feel like driving anymore. It's just one big F-ing joke.
Keep your chin up, I think you are going to win this in the end.

Anything worth doing will be difficult.
LuigiVampa (05-07-2024)

Quick Reply: PCA medical committee revoked my race license