Sponsored by:

Formula 1 - 2024 Season

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2024, 06:22 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 402 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
I'm fairly confident, barring injury, Max will win the driver's championship this year but the constructor's title seems like a 3 team race with Ferrari and McLaren joining Red Bull.

Christian Horner explains why Red Bull decided to keep Sergio Perez for 2 more seasons:
“Now is an important time to confirm our line-up for 2025 and we are very pleased to continue working together with Checo.”
“Continuity and stability are important for the team and both Checo and Max are a successful and robust partnership, securing our first ever one-two finish for the team in the Championship last year.”
“Checo has had a strong start to 2024 with second places in Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and Japan and then his podium in China. The past few races have been tough, there is convergence on the grid, but we are confident in Checo and look forward to his return to proven form and performance, that we so often see.”
“Last year was a unicorn season and we will need to work hard to retain our titles, but we are assured in our line up and with the team as a whole, which is imperative in what is shaping up to be a close fought Championship this year.”
VIA: [PLANET F1: [url=https://www.planetf1.com/news/sergio-perez-new-red-bull-contract-announcement?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTAAAR3bDVbzh2M8C2RVUYsmnqE-jv-Lk96LVAAcu268MQyt8cw65tpDnud87k0_aem_AdNwK-K6MQxsDVjtyR1bE2TIUpFilyZyIiA04_i5YS8Nqu93Q4-FdFDW9uVVkSh33Lz32wIxPR94kWw_wD5cdXdX]https://www.planetf1.com/.../sergio-perez-new-red-bull...]

I can summarize the above:

Checo’s sponsorship deal brings us so much money outside of the cap that we can pay whatever Max wants so that he stays at RB, and doesn’t bugger off to Mercedes.
Old 06-04-2024, 06:23 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,848 Likes on 1,760 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
I'm fairly confident, barring injury, Max will win the driver's championship this year but the constructor's title seems like a 3 team race with Ferrari and McLaren joining Red Bull.

Christian Horner explains why Red Bull decided to keep Sergio Perez for 2 more seasons:
“Now is an important time to confirm our line-up for 2025 and we are very pleased to continue working together with Checo.”
“Continuity and stability are important for the team and both Checo and Max are a successful and robust partnership, securing our first ever one-two finish for the team in the Championship last year.”
“Checo has had a strong start to 2024 with second places in Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and Japan and then his podium in China. The past few races have been tough, there is convergence on the grid, but we are confident in Checo and look forward to his return to proven form and performance, that we so often see.”
“Last year was a unicorn season and we will need to work hard to retain our titles, but we are assured in our line up and with the team as a whole, which is imperative in what is shaping up to be a close fought Championship this year.”
VIA: [PLANET F1: [url=https://www.planetf1.com/news/sergio-perez-new-red-bull-contract-announcement?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTAAAR3bDVbzh2M8C2RVUYsmnqE-jv-Lk96LVAAcu268MQyt8cw65tpDnud87k0_aem_AdNwK-K6MQxsDVjtyR1bE2TIUpFilyZyIiA04_i5YS8Nqu93Q4-FdFDW9uVVkSh33Lz32wIxPR94kWw_wD5cdXdX]https://www.planetf1.com/.../sergio-perez-new-red-bull...]
"Checo has text messages and pictures of me doing bad things."
The following 6 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
Carlo_Carrera (06-04-2024), Mike Roblin (06-04-2024), Nowanker (06-04-2024), ParadiseGT3 (06-05-2024), skl (06-04-2024), thebishman (06-04-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-04-2024, 06:31 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Another excellent explanation! lol
Old 06-04-2024, 06:35 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Btw: for an explanation of incredible courage; commitment and yes, perhaps a little insanity, watch this:

These literally are the bravest racers I know, since anyone who’s driven extensively in the UK would know that one little mistake at these speeds, (up over 300kph at times) on these roads which are surrounded by trees; dry stone walls and houses, means no second chances.

I am in awe!

Last edited by thebishman; 06-04-2024 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-04-2024, 06:46 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
"Checo has text messages and pictures of me doing bad things."
This was exactly what I was thinking when I heard that he was re-signed.
The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 08:23 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
This isn't fun, but I don't think Yuki leaves RB...

Yuki is cheap for RB at $1M/year, lowest contract out there, which is great for RB.
Honda pays Yuki another $10M/year (allegedly) which puts him at around the 10th highest salary, combined (he happens to be ranked 10th right now in drivers standings).
No other team utilizes Honda. Yuki would actually probably be taking a pay cut if he leaves RB and doesn't have the Honda kicker.
Yuki is performing quite well. RB is performing much better than his alternatives.
It maybe eating a little humble pie because Yuki didn't land Red Bull, but the alternatives in 2025 suck in comparison to RB.

Yuki signs with RB for 2025. And holds out hope that by the end of 2025 Lance is either done, or Aston is sold (and Lance is gone) and reunites with Honda via Aston.

That seems a lot better option than signing with an Alpine....
I think the issue is Lawson. I can see Lawson getting paired with Danny Ric for Danny to support his development and then in 2 years Lawson moves to RB and replaces Perez. That makes sense to me. I think Yuki is left swinging...
multi21 (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 08:26 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thebishman
I can summarize the above:

Checo’s sponsorship deal brings us so much money outside of the cap that we can pay whatever Max wants so that he stays at RB, and doesn’t bugger off to Mercedes.
Swimming in that Carlos Slim money. All he has to do is be close enough to Max to have RB win the Constructors. He doesnt need to be 2nd place in the Drivers Championship. In fact, I dont think they want someone like Carlos (or anyone else) that might get into a street fight with Max.
The following 2 users liked this post by ELange0322:
Matt Romanowski (06-04-2024), thebishman (06-05-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 08:27 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Btw: for an explanation of incredible courage; commitment and yes, perhaps a little insanity, watch this:

https://youtu.be/CvvcCSqGuA0?si=oPvWCW4oGYF_s2cj

These literally are the bravest racers I know, since anyone who’s driven extensively in the UK would know that one little mistake at these speeds, (up over 300kph at times) on these roads which are surrounded by trees; dry stone walls and houses, means no second chances.

I am in awe!
Agreed - There is nothing more insane than the TT. Glad to see it getting a bit more coverage. This is from 2012t, but love this video, particularly the opening...

thebishman (06-05-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 08:37 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by ELange0322
I think the issue is Lawson. I can see Lawson getting paired with Danny Ric for Danny to support his development and then in 2 years Lawson moves to RB and replaces Perez. That makes sense to me. I think Yuki is left swinging...
Everyone loves RIC..... But he's getting dumped. He's been horrible ever since the new regulations.
Matt Romanowski (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 10:40 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 912 Likes on 556 Posts

I don't understand the Perez hate. He's the guy they need - good enough for the constructors championship, not challenging Max when he shouldn't, and willing to be #2. How many other drivers are willing to always be second on the team?

And why would they keep Ric? Bring in another young driver. Make the team the feeder to RB again.
The following 2 users liked this post by Matt Romanowski:
ELange0322 (06-05-2024), thebishman (06-05-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 10:42 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,256 Likes on 1,922 Posts

This photo was taken less than 2 years ago. Imagine an Alonso/ Piastri driver pairing. Fire in Alonso and ice in Piastei with no threat to Alonso of mentoring PIA since he would be retired once Oscar get his legs underneath him.

Alonso’s made some bad moves in his career, but this wasnt not one of them. Mark Weber manages Piastri and had that tug of war with McLaren and looked out for his driver.

Old 06-05-2024, 12:39 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

https://youtu.be/CvvcCSqGuA0?si=oPvWCW4oGYF_s2cj

I am in awe!
I am also a big fan, following the action closely this week.

If you have not already done so, I would recommend downloading the TT+ app. They have a lot of good free content (and offer very reasonable paid service). Amongst the free content is two seasons of a show called “No Room for Error”, which I thought was excellent.

sort of like Drive to Survive, except very real and honest
thebishman (06-05-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 12:44 AM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 500 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I don't understand the Perez hate. He's the guy they need - good enough for the constructors championship, not challenging Max when he shouldn't, and willing to be #2. How many other drivers are willing to always be second on the team?

And why would they keep Ric? Bring in another young driver. Make the team the feeder to RB again.
Agreed that Danni Ric is toast... which is too bad. He's a very likeable guy.
Not so sure about the value in Perez. If he keeps F'n up, the constructor's championship is not a sure thing. With Ferrari and Mcl upping their game...
And even Merc is stealing points from him.
Having a driver happy to be a "Number 2" is maybe not a great thing.
Old 06-05-2024, 07:35 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 912 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Agreed that Danni Ric is toast... which is too bad. He's a very likeable guy.
Not so sure about the value in Perez. If he keeps F'n up, the constructor's championship is not a sure thing. With Ferrari and Mcl upping their game...
And even Merc is stealing points from him.
Having a driver happy to be a "Number 2" is maybe not a great thing.
Reference the fighting in Alpine the last two years. You need the drivers to know their position. Long term they need to know their position or the team fights inside itself. Max/Checo, Lewis/Botas, Schumaker/Rubens, etc.
Old 06-05-2024, 09:01 AM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 911 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Because ultimately F1 is entertainment, and it's boring to watch one teammate unchallenged, trouncing another every weekend without interruption.

And equally important for me, I wish to see the very best drivers in the world in F1. Supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport, there are 20 seats. Even more so across the top teams, should all be absolute killers.

TWO year extension for checo is ridiculous based upon recent form. Sainz dropping into an also ran is ridiculous. I hope Ferrari and/or McLaren highlight RB's error in the constructor's points.

Quick Reply: Formula 1 - 2024 Season