Formula 1 - 2024 Season

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2024, 04:11 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,392 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Mercedes has defintely figured out how to make the car good. Maybe next year, they will be more open about what it was they had wrong early in the season ever since they got caught cheating.
Originally Posted by ProCoach
FIFY
FIFY
The following 3 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
Carlo_Carrera (07-10-2024), Carrera51 (07-10-2024), ProCoach (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 04:45 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 147 Posts

LOL!

Well we do know that they couldn't make the zero side pod concept work in 2022 and half of 2023. I'm just happy that we have a fight for the title this year, though Max built a good lead prior to MB and McLaren making their big steps up to the top of the podium.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 04:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,306 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
LOL!

Well we do know that they couldn't make the zero side pod concept work in 2022 and half of 2023. I'm just happy that we have a fight for the title this year, though Max built a good lead prior to MB and McLaren making their big steps up to the top of the podium.
In Toto's words; He said: "When you consider that five races ago we weren't even a contender for the podium, which looked like the third year of non-performance, then it clicked.

"Suddenly, everything that didn't make sense made sense. and the results of the development directions are back like in the old days. We are finding performance, we're putting it on the car, and it translates into lap time."
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 3 users liked this post by ProCoach:
996love (07-11-2024), Carrera51 (07-10-2024), thebishman (07-11-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 06:23 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,473 Likes on 2,069 Posts

In Toto's words; He said: "When you consider that five races ago we weren't even a contender for the podium, which looked like the third year of non-performance, then it clicked.

"Suddenly, everything that didn't make sense made sense. and the results of the development directions are back like in the old days. We are finding performance, we're putting it on the car, and it translates into lap time."
I heard a podcast a month or so ago where one of the heads of Mercedes F1 said they had discovered what they were missing and, I paraphrase, "It was there all along, but we stupidly didn't see it." Whatever they initially didn't see, finally clicked like a light switch and they've been competitive ever since.
The following 3 users liked this post by multi21:
996love (07-11-2024), Matt Romanowski (07-11-2024), ProCoach (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 06:26 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,392 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
I heard a podcast a month or so ago where one of the heads of Mercedes F1 said they had discovered what they were missing and, I paraphrase, "It was there all along, but we stupidly didn't see it." Whatever they initially didn't see, finally clicked like a light switch and they've been competitive ever since.
I always find it weird that in the age of computer models, and sophisticated wind tunnels, that they can bring an upgrade to a track which actually makes them go backwards.

How do they get this stuff wrong with all those resources?
Old 07-10-2024, 06:31 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Correlation from wind tunnel to track conditions.
Matt Romanowski (07-11-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 06:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,306 Likes on 1,878 Posts

But that is how most breakthroughs at this level (and at the club level, even) are made. It's such a herculean task running a twelve hundred member team, the most important things can easily be overlooked.

Sometimes, it's not about making improvements. It's about finding the optimal, sometimes less than obvious approach and/or execution, and doing MORE of that.
Old 07-10-2024, 06:57 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 500
It's amazing how quickly the mood can shift in F1. A couple of months ago, Ferrari seemed to be right there, but now they seem just a tad off. Could all change again just as quickly. As you note Bish, there do seem to be repeated rumblings that Merc has a leg up on the next gen powerplants, but it is hard to believe at this juncture that anyone really knows.

Ferrari, Mercedes and Honda all have current, strong programs, so I would think those three will be there or thereabouts come 2026. RBPT is a hard one to call... on the plus side they have Ford backing which means the necessary dollars and perhaps access to some unique technology, and they have recruited a lot of experienced people. On the negative side is also Ford, and whether their expectations will harmonize with RB. Audi will need time and Renault/Alpine have steadily moved away from their position of one the best engine makers in the past 15 years, to the point where they may pack it all in and use someone else's unit.

So, I think Lewis is in a pretty decent place as I don't put much stock into the early power unit rumors and think it is still more of a coin toss between Ferrari and Mercedes.

What has changed dramatically is that early in the season, it felt like Lewis may be getting off of a sinking ship, but now it looks like the ship is still very solid and the team change is more of a lateral move.
Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I always find it weird that in the age of computer models, and sophisticated wind tunnels, that they can bring an upgrade to a track which actually makes them go backwards.

Bizarre reason explained behind Ferrari's shock F1 slump:
- Ferrari has seen a decline in performance despite introducing a successful upgrade package that increased downforce.
- The SF24 car experienced handling issues at high speeds due to the upgraded downforce, not due to simulator-to-track data mismatch.
- The upgrade included a new floor and diffuser, which generated more downforce but strained the existing suspension configuration.
- The original suspension setup provided good balance but struggled to cope with the increased downforce levels.
- Since ground effect was reintroduced in 2022, Ferrari's suspension configuration has not effectively countered the increased downforce, affecting overall performance.
- Adjustments to an F1 car's suspension have significant impacts on its performance, with Ferrari realizing these challenges only when the car was on track.

VIA: [RacingNews365]
500 (07-11-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 09:13 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

So you're saying they found a way to cheat again?
Old 07-11-2024, 09:26 AM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 977 Likes on 540 Posts

Bizarre reason explained behind Ferrari's shock F1 slump:
- Ferrari has seen a decline in performance despite introducing a successful upgrade package that increased downforce.
- The SF24 car experienced handling issues at high speeds due to the upgraded downforce, not due to simulator-to-track data mismatch.
- The upgrade included a new floor and diffuser, which generated more downforce but strained the existing suspension configuration.
- The original suspension setup provided good balance but struggled to cope with the increased downforce levels.
- Since ground effect was reintroduced in 2022, Ferrari's suspension configuration has not effectively countered the increased downforce, affecting overall performance.
- Adjustments to an F1 car's suspension have significant impacts on its performance, with Ferrari realizing these challenges only when the car was on track.

VIA: [RacingNews365]
Think I find this esteemed commentator's perspective more credible, thanks to my son for introduction (nsfw)

Old 07-11-2024, 11:43 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

Ask Ferrari?
Carlo_Carrera (07-11-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 12:58 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 589 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Ask Ferrari?
Ahhhh.
That explains their strategy calls, too!
Old 07-11-2024, 01:17 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,558 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Jeremy Clarkson seems to think Adrian Newey will be staying in England. Aston Martin?

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/105216...-hunting-claim
Old 07-11-2024, 04:33 PM
brewerbry
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts

My money is on this being a faulty Fetzer valve
Old 07-12-2024, 11:45 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Jeremy Clarkson seems to think Adrian Newey will be staying in England. Aston Martin?

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/105216...-hunting-claim
I'm also reading more and more that Newey will not go to Ferrari and will stay in England, AM or McLaren. Should MAC get Newey, it could be a huge game changer as they seem like the team that's on the cusp of breaking through.
The following 2 users liked this post by multi21:
Carlo_Carrera (07-12-2024), LuigiVampa (07-12-2024)

Quick Reply: Formula 1 - 2024 Season