Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 12:48 AM
bswift
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Anyone had issues with the Catalyst recognizing tracks or laps?

At Auto Club Speedway this weekend and multiple laps are being combined into a single lap and/or a new lap is triggered early a few times per session. Whole lap is also being combined into a single segment, but GPS indicator shows full strength so doesn’t seem to be a connection issue.

Garmin folks said the issue was being tracked, but hoping someone else has experienced and resolved a similar issue.

Old 08-07-2021, 11:16 AM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

Yep. Huge issue for me. First session worked fine. All subsequent sessions looked like the below. At the end no data salvageable. Very frustrating. Would love to understand how to fix.

Old 08-07-2021, 02:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,234 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Originally Posted by whojoemama
Yep. Huge issue for me. First session worked fine. All subsequent sessions looked like the below. At the end no data salvageable. Very frustrating. Would love to understand how to fix.

I responded to you in the FB Group, but this usually occurs when the GPS reception suffers in the beginning of the first run after the last one that works.

The correct way to fix this is to correct the mounting so the reception works better (you can monitor this on screen during setup), then perform a system reset to purge the corruption of the data that causes the failure to be able to close or process the files.

Because the system memory is cumulative throughout the runs after the track has been selected, the corruption sets up a reference that cannot be “put together,” which causes the system to be unable to resolve any subsequent session recording.

It is unusual, and rarely occurs. But when it does, it’s usually in a new installation that hasn’t been set up
optimally. Even a cockeyed camera calibration (since the camera has the accelerometers in it) can foul
up the works, no different than any other performance measuring technology.

Sorry to hear of your trouble, but I think if you refresh the device to factory settings, re-enter the driver and car info, check for proper mounting and carefully set it up for best possible GPS reception, this will resolve your issues. If it doesn’t, Garmin support phone answers and there are multiple avenues to get help from them to set it straight.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-07-2021, 08:33 PM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks Coach! Honestly once I tell it the correct racetrack it should be able to fix itself. The software is designed for this eventuality but it doesn’t work reliably. Garmin should fix that. I will of course check my install as suggested.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Kevin Buckley has a great collection of some of the most significant 911's to have raced, and uses them all over North America to good effect. Here's one of Michael Keyser's old Daytona 24 cars.

He just posted something I thought was important after his first day of using it at Monterey for the Pre-Reunion.

"Bought it almost a year ago from Peter Krause - I figured one more data logger I will never learn how to use - started years ago with early Traqmates, AIM with dash & go pros, then smarty cam & solo ll.

Turned on the Catalyst in quali yesterday & was blown away about the video, simplicity of operation & stunned by the opportunities. Got right down to lap times from an 2.8 FIA car. Qualified 10 yesterday - finished 9 th. Qualified 7 th for today.

I am a believer. Right where I met you, Peter. RMMR, years ago. Thanks, Peter"

Thought that was really cool...

I love all driver performance improvement tech, but more than that, I like easy and effective driver performance improvement tech.

Last edited by ProCoach; 08-08-2021 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:30 PM
Tigers10
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 112 Posts

Forgive the basic question. I'm relatively new to HPDEs and have been thinking about getting some type of video recording tool so that I can watch videos of my driving between sessions and after a weekend. So after trying to read through all 1100+ posts of this thread, am I right that it seems like the catalyst is a good video/data option for a relative DE beginner? Or is this overkill for my current level and I should try a GoPro?

I did my first HPDE in May this year and got hooked. Now have my 4th DE coming up next month at COTA. I did COTA in June so this will be my second time there and thought it could be a good time to add some type of video/data recording since I'm at least familiar with the line. Was initially going to try some combo of GoPro/HLT/iPhone camera but saw many threads of people saying they got tired of the hassle and/or those not working. I want to have something easy to set/forget that easily lets me watch videos between sessions so I can pick out things to work on for the next session. And hopefully something I can use long term. This seems a lot simpler/cheaper than AIM/VBOX options.

I'm in intermediate instructed group at COTA so I wouldn't want the in car audio coaching turned on while I have an instructor riding and would really just be using it to watch videos between sessions. Which is why I wonder if I should just use a GoPro instead? I am in the blue (beginner) solo group in my home region LSR so I would get to use the in car coaching for my next event there.

Thanks for the feedback.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (08-09-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 07:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by Tigers10
Forgive the basic question. I'm relatively new to HPDEs and have been thinking about getting some type of video recording tool so that I can watch videos of my driving between sessions and after a weekend. So after trying to read through all 1100+ posts of this thread, am I right that it seems like the catalyst is a good video/data option for a relative DE beginner? Or is this overkill for my current level and I should try a GoPro?

I did my first HPDE in May this year and got hooked. Now have my 4th DE coming up next month at COTA. I did COTA in June so this will be my second time there and thought it could be a good time to add some type of video/data recording since I'm at least familiar with the line. Was initially going to try some combo of GoPro/HLT/iPhone camera but saw many threads of people saying they got tired of the hassle and/or those not working. I want to have something easy to set/forget that easily lets me watch videos between sessions so I can pick out things to work on for the next session. And hopefully something I can use long term. This seems a lot simpler/cheaper than AIM/VBOX options.

I'm in intermediate instructed group at COTA so I wouldn't want the in car audio coaching turned on while I have an instructor riding and would really just be using it to watch videos between sessions. Which is why I wonder if I should just use a GoPro instead? I am in the blue (beginner) solo group in my home region LSR so I would get to use the in car coaching for my next event there.

Thanks for the feedback.
I think it's important to realize this is not data. If you want video, then it's a good choice and if you think you want the future coaching features, then it's a great choice. If you want data in the future, the Catalyst is not the thing you want.

I would not advise a Go Pro option. Almost all paths with that lead to frustration and buying something else.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:26 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

What a great question! With all the posts and pages about this device, it’s clear that there is BIG “want” for a simple, easy to use solution to help improve your own driving performance.

“Data” means a lot of things to a lot of people, whereas we can all agree that “intelligent video,” or video with numbers and information on it, is infinitely more valuable than just plain video.

No data gathering device, with the exception oft the Catalyst, finds, identifies and breaks down opportunities for improvement. You can’t do that without logging data. Speeds, G’s, segment times and analysis, so yes, the Catalyst uses this data to provide this information.

No data gathering device operates without a laptop (Windows for AiM, MoTeC, Cosworth, VBOX and Race Technology, all brands I sell and support, Mac OS for VBOX only and iOS for Apex Pro and VBOX) as well as some training and sometimes, a significant investment of time and resources to learn how to set up the information, then figure out how to turn that information into an action plan for the next session.

The Catalyst requires none of this to furnish similar information to what amateur and professional instructors and coaches have provided for decades, to good effect.

I’ve spent the last fifteen years answering questions like this for DE and track day drivers, as well as club, entry-level pro and pro racers and teams, and you are not alone.

There are many, many devices out there, but VERY few that don’t put up barriers, some substantial, that interfere with a casual user’s ability to get useful and valuable information out of them.

Glad to talk offline about the pros and cons of each, I have no allegiance to a single solution. Everyone’s needs and budget are different. Realized that a long time ago and happy there are many choices.

Last edited by ProCoach; 08-09-2021 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:30 PM
DoxCroc
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dash mounting in 981/991 (and others)

Thought I'd share a method of freeing up the windshield view and getting secure mounting without suction cups. This uses the Rennline Exact Fit Phone Mount for you model. The same one fits 991/981/718/992. It can mount to either side of the PCM screen, in this case on the right. $45 and instructions on their web site.

Since the Rennline mounting ball is too small, I got a RAM mounts trackball with T-bolt attachment and it fits by drilling the hole in the phone mount slightly larger. Once this is done it makes the RAM mounts selection of available attachments fittable. This photo uses a medium length arm that raises the Garmin for better shift **** clearance. The power and camera cords are not attached in the photos because I am waiting for a right angle USB adapter that will hide the cord even better. Cords will come out of the gap above the glove box door and straight into the Garmin mount with about a 2" run. Much better than when they had to run up to the Garmin when it was suctioned to the windshield and sat just above the A/C vent. GPS reception is just as good as when it was attached to the windshield and above the dash but blocking some of the view. If you notice, the GPS meter is reading 5 bars (4 foot accuracy) and this is parked in my garage under a roof.

When I leave the track and am not using the Garmin, a RAM mount phone holder is easy to swap in.

Mike

Old 08-10-2021, 07:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Nice. Still, would like to see a 6" arm (the 201U-C) instead of the medium length 3" (the 201U) there.

Make sure you use the supplied cig lighter port transformer. Makes a difference to camera reliability.

Instead of looking at the "cell phone bars," use the tool in the device. Here's how to do it. https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...oa5wUYJ3QypUCA

Last edited by ProCoach; 08-10-2021 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:47 PM
DoxCroc
Advanced

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Nice.
Instead of looking at the "cell phone bars," use the tool in the device. Here's how to do it. https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...oa5wUYJ3QypUCA
That's where I reported the "4 foot accuracy" reading.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:11 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts

So the camera cord is long enough to go along the headliner, down the A pillar and behind/across the glovebox to get to the Garmin?
Old 08-11-2021, 11:03 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, it is. 2.5 meters, IIRC.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:09 AM
DoxCroc
Advanced

Originally Posted by docwyte
So the camera cord is long enough to go along the headliner, down the A pillar and behind/across the glovebox to get to the Garmin?
Yes, the camera cord is designed to mount high on the windshield (behind the mirror) and has plenty to route around the windshield and to the glovebox. Before, with suction cup mounting, I had 2 cords coming out of the glovebox and up to the Garmin. With the Rennline phone mount near the PCM, it is much neater. Garmin supplies a few clips to hold it.

The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 11:16 AM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
Yes, I can confirm this and with some to spare.

This is how I set mine up. I had not posted it here yet as I won't be testing it on track until this coming weekend at WGI. I am using the T-Design tablet mount which slots in along both sides of the radio panel. I also really like that setup that @DoxCroc posted above. I picked up a cage mount from Peter since my wife commandeered the standard mount for her car! I love how this unit can have multiple profiles and swap between vehicles quickly. We are in different run groups so it is ideal. I'll report back after this first event. I do have an extra suction cup mount with me so I can convert it to the windshield if I have GPS issue. But I don't anticipate any...

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching