Incident at Lime Rock

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 05:11 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Looks like a dive bomb to me. If I were the lead car I would have taken a slightly defensive line going into West Bend.
So would I so as to telegraph my intentions but I think this is also where the line between good driving and blocking starts. It all depends on the relative positions and the closing speed. That's often a judgement made in split seconds. I don't consider it blocking unless someone makes a pattern of it.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:22 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

IMO racing incident . . . but regretable. I would try and leave more room, or a lot less and remove all doubt. I know-easier said than done at the time. Someone else (overtaking car) would/ should have backed out
Old 08-29-2017, 06:24 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,960 Likes on 1,792 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
So would I so as to telegraph my intentions but I think this is also where the line between good driving and blocking starts. It all depends on the relative positions and the closing speed. That's often a judgement made in split seconds. I don't consider it blocking unless someone makes a pattern of it.
Agreed.

The phrase you used is perfect - telegraph my intentions.

By taking a specific line you are telling the trailing car "not this corner".

If you do it every corner than agreed it is blocking.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:38 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Agreed.

The phrase you used is perfect - telegraph my intentions.

By taking a specific line you are telling the trailing car "not this corner".

If you do it every corner than agreed it is blocking.
Pros don' t get the timing right every time, amatures aren't going to either. Once is a mistake, twice is sloppy driving, three times and you're an *******.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:35 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

Bummer. And you and that turn have history if I recall correctly.

Looks like you start turn in here in frame below. I'd call that a pretty late move on passing car's part given his position at turn in. Clear 13 for passing car in PCA.
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2017, 06:39 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Dive bomb, especially in that corner
Old 08-30-2017, 08:05 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 188 Posts

Frustrating. Thanks for posting--a good learning experience for many of us. First thing I thought of was Ricky Taylor's inside move on Felipe Albuquerque at the end of the Daytona 24. I love the Taylor boys, but I hate that the win came from controversy. Wayne's face at the end of the clip says it all:

Old 08-30-2017, 08:42 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Just saw this thread.......Dive Bombing is sometimes just a racing incident, unfortunately. This, to me, seems to be half Dive bombing , half overly aggressive passing attempt, IMHO. Doesn't mean the dive bomber didn't display very poor judgment. Even if NASA ruled it a racing incident, if I were the Chief Steward I would still have a conversation with the passer regarding his decision making. I don't see that the Boxster driver could or should have done anything different - short of not racing the guy. You can't always expect or anticipate something like that. That's why it's called Dive Bombing.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:54 AM
JJE997.2RS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

racing incident and the S2000 guy is an idiot.

Can't fix stupid
Old 08-30-2017, 09:46 AM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 424 Likes on 264 Posts

Agree. Dive Bomb (at least per the rules I'm familiar with) but no doubt the two drivers disagree.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:17 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Jas0nn
Interesting to see such varied responses - but I suppose it makes sense given the very different rules. Personally, I would like to think I would have left him room and expected him to be inside me. The rules call for it, and the door was wide-open. Just my opinion! That said, I hope it didn't result in a 13. (I think that would have been a bit much).
Originally Posted by Juha G
If the passing car could've hugged the inside and stayed on that line (don't know if it was possible with that entry speed, that car and that corner) I think you should've left him room, no?

Allways when I see these I ask, why not leave a tiny bit of room on the inside?
I mean if you are clearly ahead, then no but in this case the door was wide open for very long time...
+1
It was an aggressive pass but the door was wide open and there was overlap, too.

In most racing series outside of PCA the leading car here would have been expected to leave racing room. The door was left wide open for a long time, without any "defense" (signalling intent to leave room) and there was substantial overlap.

Ownership of (perfect) lines, corners, and apexes is a foreign concept outside of PCA. Co-existence (giving racing room upon overlap and going side by side) usually takes precedence. In PCA "The car ahead at turn in has the corner" seems to take precedence in enforcement over "The car ahead at turn in... does not “own” the corner" and "Everyone must leave racing room". (All these are official PCA passing rules, btw.)

That said, it never hurts and it's more fun and safer to leave racing room upon overlap even if the rules don't mandate it. Even with PCA I always leave racing room when the passer manages to establish an overlap.

When racing with a close competitor, preventing overlap by taking a defensive line or by "making your car wider" (i.e. positioning it so it's hard for the passer to decide which side to attempt the pass) is a major part of race-craft. Better to close the door before any overlap is established, while still observing the blocking rules, of course. But once the passing car entangles itself with the lead car by establishing overlap then it's best for each car to leave room for the duration of the overlap.

Glad Frank is OK and hope the damage was not too big.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:53 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The S2000 was in your right side mirror for the entire run down the 'straight'. You should have seen him. You should have expected that he might make that kind of move. This wasn't just a little bit of overlap. He was pretty far up alongside you. He could have gone up on the curbing a bit more to avoid as well.

Both of you are at fault.

Anyone who says racing incident should go pro racing. Yes it is an incident and it is while racing but the underlying thought process when saying 'racing incident' is that there isn't enough to blame one person. This is when you blame BOTH people. This is club racing. There is an inherent need to coexist on track. Part of that is being able to handle a situation like the one above without contact. Both of you get points on your record if I were steward.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:09 PM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 332 Likes on 161 Posts

If I remember the discussion on the NASA NE FB group correctly, it wasn't just the one Honda; he was the class leader with three or four running nose-to-tail shortly after a restart

Last edited by Jas0nn; 08-30-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:26 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
I'm with VR, racing incident with NASA. I don't see the move as a dive bomb, but as an aggressive pass. Lead car should have left at least 3/4 car width and did not. The passing car should have been willing to put two wheels up on the curve or even grass to avoid contact and did not.

With PCA I would expect the passing car to be at fault.
great description. however, i think "dive bomb" means "aggressive pass", as opposed to the contrary = punt. so, as a lead of pack driver you need to be aware of those doing all sorts of things behind you. and with a pass, you have to count on evasive action if the "thinkable" actually happens. closing a door is not uncommon, and is probably more common in those situations.........so, as was said, plan on plan b being you doing a little 4x4'ering if needed.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,144 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Originally Posted by morsini
Passing cars fault, no overlap, just an aggressive move - boxster had the line.
Yep.

Originally Posted by Nizer
Bummer. And you and that turn have history if I recall correctly.

Looks like you start turn in here in frame below. I'd call that a pretty late move on passing car's part given his position at turn in. Clear 13 for passing car in PCA.
Yep.

Originally Posted by 38D
Dive bomb, especially in that corner
Yep. Low percentage pass.

Originally Posted by paradocs98
Frustrating. Thanks for posting--a good learning experience for many of us. First thing I thought of was Ricky Taylor's inside move on Felipe Albuquerque at the end of the Daytona 24. I love the Taylor boys, but I hate that the win came from controversy. Wayne's face at the end of the clip says it all:
Yep, that was a chicken**** move.

Originally Posted by mchrono
Agree. Dive Bomb (at least per the rules I'm familiar with) but no doubt the two drivers disagree.
Dive bomb, for sure
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Incident at Lime Rock