Sponsored by:

Incident at Lime Rock

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 02:54 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Look, if you can't get at least some overlap BEFORE the lead car turns in, you have no business trying to pass the lead car in that turn regardless of where the lead driver turned in from. That is just plain reckless you will get all or most of the blame for contact in any series you race in.
This already ruled a NASA racing incident no blame. SCCA which I race would be same thing and that is just club racing. Turn-in is different for different cars. How many degrees do you have to turn-in to control the corner? How does the car around you get that information?

I put pressure on the inside expecting to be cut off. I always leave myself an out. It's usually the brake pedal.
I have never seen a car at the limit committed to pass have good braking past the braking zone down to the apex with curbing etc...

I also try not to pass in corners where people don't expect to be passed. I have done that in the past and really surprised drivers. It even caused one to spin out.
If he was not doing an evasive maneuver due to your action he was an unaware driver if surprised or failed to properly program you where to pass.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:56 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Look, if you can't get at least some overlap BEFORE the lead car turns in, you have no business trying to pass the lead car in that turn regardless of where the lead driver turned in from. That is just plain reckless you will get all or most of the blame for contact in any series you race in.
This photo is from the 6h VLN race on the Nürburgring two weeks ago. I was driving the E36 325i. There were 170 cars on the track, I belonged to the slowest 10% of those cars. So there were quite a few cars that passed me during my stints.

Does it look like in this photo that I just overtook the GT3 Audi on the outside or was I just leaving space on the inside for the fast approaching car? Clearly there was no overlap but I can assure you had I drove my own line and blocked the R8, I would've been in trouble.

I personally think it matters if the car that is trying to pass you is in the same class (i.e. racing for a position with you) or a faster car in a different class. If former, I would clearly take a defensive line into the corner and fight it through with him/her, if latter, I would just plain leave room for a clean pass.

This "owning the line" is the stupidest thing ever IMHO.

Last edited by Juha G; 09-03-2017 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:26 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
This photo is from the 6h VLN race on the Nürburgring two weeks ago. I was driving the E36 325i. There were 170 cars on the track, I belonged to the slowest 10% of those cars. So there were quite a few cars that passed me during my stints.

Does it look like in this photo that I just overtook the GT3 Audi on the outside or was I just leaving space on the inside for the fast approaching car? Clearly there was no overlap but I can assure you had I drove my own line and blocked the R8, I would've been in trouble.

I personally think it matters if the car that is trying to pass you is in the same class (i.e. racing for a position with you) or a faster car in a different class. If former, I would clearly take a defensive line into the corner and fight it through with him/her, if latter, I would just plain leave room for a clean pass.

You are preaching to the choir!

If I were in a slower car and faster cars were coming up behind me, I would do exactly what you are doing. Finding a way to let them by in a way that causes neither of us to lose much time.

But, if you read what I wrote, you would see that I already talked about taking the wider line to let the faster car(s) by.

I don't believe in owning the corner either. What I do believe in in not making assumptions as to what the lead car will do if I don't know the driver and have experience with them in similar situations. Clearly I am not driving in a high level amateur series or a pro series so I have to allow for more "variety" in how people in other classes I am passing work with me or against me. Assuming they are going to let me by when I have established no overlap before they turn in is usually a bad assumption.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:45 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

But, if you read what I wrote, you would see that I already talked about taking the
I don't believe in owning the corner either. What I do believe in in not making assumptions as to what the lead car will do if I don't know the driver and have experience with them in similar situations. Clearly I am not driving in a high level amateur series or a pro series so I have to allow for more "variety" in how people in other classes I am passing work with me or against me. Assuming they are going to let me by when I have established no overlap before they turn in is usually a bad assumption.
agreed! It goes both ways.

But i still think closing the door completely in the OPs video was s super dumb move. If you wanted to do that, you should've signalled it to the cars behind you by taking a defensive line.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:37 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I don't believe in owning the corner either. What I do believe in in not making assumptions as to what the lead car will do if I don't know the driver and have experience with them in similar situations. Clearly I am not driving in a high level amateur series or a pro series so I have to allow for more "variety" in how people in other classes I am passing work with me or against me.
Each series/club's rules and their enforcement decides how this "variety" of driving gets treated and what behavior gets penalized or encouraged. If a series encourages oblivious mirror-less DE driving and ownership of DE lines and corners then you'll get more drivers doing exactly that. If it instead penalizes it, then you will get much less drivers doing it, and get more awareness, co-existence, leaving racing room. It's very important that the rules and their enforcement signal who needs to learn what.

It's worse when a series encourages both types of driving in its rules (perhaps to make it appear as if it's more than a DE) then mostly encourage oblivious DE driving by their enforcement. IMO, the frequency of contact is mostly determined by the severity of the penalties -- whether there is smth like a 13/13 system or not -- and has nothing to do with the rules themselves. Any consistent set of rules, consistently enforced with a 13/13-like system would yield similar contact statistics.

Trusting multi-year racing buddies to race properly regardless of the rules is a different matter. I don't need theft and murder laws to regulate actions within my family either.

Last edited by hf1; 09-03-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:06 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

+1
Spoken like a brother from another mother. And what a great photo!

Last edited by hf1; 09-03-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:18 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 432 Posts

agreed! It goes both ways.

But i still think closing the door completely in the OPs video was s super dumb move. If you wanted to do that, you should've signalled it to the cars behind you by taking a defensive line.
Absolutely! That's why I said the lead driver contributed to the accident and should get a stern talking to!!
Old 09-03-2017, 05:29 PM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I race with Dan in Hc-1, in an almost identical S2k, and have had contact with him, pretty similar situation, which we both agreed was ultimately just a racing incident.

I've looked at your video over and over, and bottom line is you were door to door with him and so he's not at fault here (as all the NASA vets have shared).

Sure it was an aggresive pass, absolutely, but from what I understand, he was putting down faster times (albeit it was like his 2nd or 3rd time ever at LRP). If you saw him coming up on you as fast as he did, it probably wouldn't have been wise to close the door on him. (BTW for reference, both Mike and I who race h1 cars can run 58's on r7's at LRP, only point for saying this is for those insinuating in this thread that the s2000 should have realize the porsche was faster)

Eitherway, racing incidents suck, I'm sorry you it happened. Hopefully this doesn't make you walk away from NASA. Luckily no one was hurt, hopefully your car will be back up and running in no time.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:34 PM
josserman
Instructor

Sorry one other point .... know who you're racing on the track with!

Dan just completed his first PWC race this weekend at COTA, he had high ambitions and is an aggresive racer. I know most of the other aggresive racers out there in both lightening and thunder groups. If I know one of them is behind me, I will drive accordingly, which mean not taking a wide entrance into a turn and leaving them a gap to attempt an aggresive pass...
Old 09-03-2017, 06:29 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by josserman
(BTW for reference, both Mike and I who race h1 cars can run 58's on r7's at LRP, only point for saying this is for those insinuating in this thread that the s2000 should have realize the porsche was faster)
I didn't see anyone making this insinuation. Do you have the quote?
Old 09-03-2017, 06:35 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

I know most of the other aggresive racers out there in both lightening and thunder groups. If I know one of them is behind me, I will drive accordingly, which mean not taking a wide entrance into a turn and leaving them a gap to attempt an aggresive pass...
Why not? As a slower aware car you want to program where you want the fast car to pass and you are timing him as much as he is timing you. A courteous racer invites other drivers to where he wants them to go. That is what working together is about when he understands what you are doing. A lead car, slow or not, should lead and control the track. If I want the fast car to to take the apex I hang to the classic late break late apex line programing him to the inside. If I want the faster car to go outside I defend the inside line and he will go under me from the outside as I track out. If he is unsure or sucks, he does not commit. Then he must wait until he can take you on the straight. Even if your programing fails you must commit to the game plan. That makes you predictable. For example, You don't back off forcing him to take the inside line that makes both of you unpredictable.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:43 PM
josserman
Instructor

I take it back... just re read and everyone is saying the opposite ... sorry, probably made the ***-umption in my quick skim of others posts that the p-guys were saying Frank was driving faster in his p-car then the Honda. Guess I need to get over some car manufacture inferiority complexes or something lol....
Old 09-03-2017, 06:50 PM
josserman
Instructor

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Why not? As a slower aware car you want to program where you want the fast car to pass and you are timing him as much as he is timing you. A courteous racer invites other drivers to where he wants them to go. That is what working together is about when he understands what you are doing. A lead car, slow or not, should lead and control the track. If I want the fast car to to take the apex I hang to the classic late break late apex line programing him to the inside. If I want the faster car to go outside I defend the inside line and he will go under me from the outside as I track out. If he is unsure or sucks, he does not commit. Then he must wait until he can take you on the straight. Even if your programing fails you must commit to the game plan. That makes you predictable. For example, You don't back off forcing him to take the inside line that makes both of you unpredictable.
im talking about in a situation where the aggresive driver behind you is not much faster then you or around the same...
Old 09-03-2017, 06:56 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

im talking about in a situation where the aggresive driver behind you is not much faster then you or around the same...
Yeah...if in same class then you have to racecraft the **** out of him.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:16 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm glad I never raced with some of you guys.

Quick Reply: Incident at Lime Rock