Sponsored by:

Incident at Lime Rock

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 07:23 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
I'm glad I never raced with some of you guys.
Exactly. Regardless of who's at fault, much safer to get a nice run into West Bend and pass on the downhill. As a bonus, If you time it right, you can probably get a nice little separation from the other in class car behind you as he loses a little momentum having to check up

And you're still in the race
Old 09-03-2017, 08:06 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
A courteous racer invites other drivers to where he wants them to go. That is what working together is about when he understands what you are doing. A lead car, slow or not, should lead and control the track. If I want the fast car to to take the apex I hang to the classic late break late apex line programing him to the inside. If I want the faster car to go outside I defend the inside line and he will go under me from the outside as I track out. If he is unsure or sucks, he does not commit. Then he must wait until he can take you on the straight. Even if your programing fails you must commit to the game plan. That makes you predictable. For example, You don't back off forcing him to take the inside line that makes both of you unpredictable.
This is a lot better concept than the who owns the corner view of the world.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:27 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Why not? As a slower aware car you want to program where you want the fast car to pass and you are timing him as much as he is timing you. A courteous racer invites other drivers to where he wants them to go. That is what working together is about when he understands what you are doing. A lead car, slow or not, should lead and control the track. If I want the fast car to to take the apex I hang to the classic late break late apex line programing him to the inside. If I want the faster car to go outside I defend the inside line and he will go under me from the outside as I track out. If he is unsure or sucks, he does not commit. Then he must wait until he can take you on the straight. Even if your programing fails you must commit to the game plan. That makes you predictable. For example, You don't back off forcing him to take the inside line that makes both of you unpredictable.
Originally Posted by mglobe
This is a lot better concept than the who owns the corner view of the world.
+1
That's racing.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:15 PM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
Exactly. Regardless of who's at fault, much safer to get a nice run into West Bend and pass on the downhill. As a bonus, If you time it right, you can probably get a nice little separation from the other in class car behind you as he loses a little momentum having to check up

And you're still in the race
idk passing on downhill can be tricky as you really need to be setup well to to take it fast with little to no lift (assuming you're under bridge in the mid 90's). If there's someone in front of you chances are you'll catch them just before turn in, and then that leaves you no place to go. Obviously depends on lots of circumstances, but I think it's better to as you said time it right but so you can pass them coming out of the downhill onto the straight.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:33 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't checked in here in awhile, but thanks to all for the input, all well taken. Bottom line seems to be a difference in club mentality.
The PCA guys would never have tolerated that pass attempt while NASA is telling me otherwise. All fine, will file that away for next time.

Now, a little more background, just for fun. This was a restart lap, so I'm well aware of faster traffic that may be behind, and this late in the lap they're coming, and I know it. Before any of these videos roll, I take to the middle of the track after the uphill to signal not to try it, and I fully intend to back off on the downhill and let all 3 by (although they can't know that). I check my mirror and he's there but not coming so I go for the fastest line so I don't slow everyone down. I'm committed now and can't look in my mirror again. He sees it as me opening the door, I guess. My mistake. Many of you know how I feel about blocking, but in the interest of self preservation, I guess I'm going to start to use it to decide where I'll let guys pass me.

Further, When asked about it, the passing driver admitted to me that he was carrying way too much speed and couldn't get out of it, and he was very apologetic and sorry. He didn't seem to blame me.

I'm happy that it wasn't worse, in that kind of traffic we could have had a multi-car wreck and I got out with very minor damage, although I did lose a race that was in the bag.

Lastly, I've purposely gone out to race with other clubs just to have fun with different marques. Watch out, this weekend it's BMW CCA!
Old 09-12-2017, 04:03 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Wow a Porsche at a BMW event. Now you're asking for trouble!

Hopefully we won't see a 12 page thread next week.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,144 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
The PCA guys would never have tolerated that pass attempt while NASA is telling me otherwise. All fine, will file that away for next time.

Now, a little more background, just for fun. This was a restart lap, so I'm well aware of faster traffic that may be behind, and this late in the lap they're coming, and I know it. Before any of these videos roll, I take to the middle of the track after the uphill to signal not to try it, and I fully intend to back off on the downhill and let all 3 by (although they can't know that). I check my mirror and he's there but not coming so I go for the fastest line so I don't slow everyone down. I'm committed now and can't look in my mirror again. He sees it as me opening the door, I guess. My mistake. Many of you know how I feel about blocking, but in the interest of self preservation, I guess I'm going to start to use it to decide where I'll let guys pass me.

Further, When asked about it, the passing driver admitted to me that he was carrying way too much speed and couldn't get out of it, and he was very apologetic and sorry. He didn't seem to blame me.

I'm happy that it wasn't worse, in that kind of traffic we could have had a multi-car wreck and I got out with very minor damage, although I did lose a race that was in the bag.

Lastly, I've purposely gone out to race with other clubs just to have fun with different marques. Watch out, this weekend it's BMW CCA!
You were blameless, Frank. The guy apologized, FCS!

I HATE the idea that you would think that you would need to treat others the way you DON'T want to be treated yourself, for self-preservation. It's too hard for most to look forward, now you have to look behind???

I had a bad deal in the second part of Big Bend over Labor Day weekend. Accelerating and a guy I'd cleared hit his LF to my RR. Sheesh... Drive right through me? NASA (and the Historics, for that matter) need to grow a pair...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-12-2017, 05:00 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe

Yeah, it's a BMW ClubRace in support of a NASCAR K&N weekend that I did last year. Lots of fun because there are a lot of spectators. BMW is looking to bring other marques into their Club Races and I got my picture and a paragraph in Roundel for it, but I wasn't very competitive.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I HATE the idea that you would think that you would need to treat others the way you DON'T want to be treated yourself, for self-preservation.
Me too!

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I had a bad deal in the second part of Big Bend over Labor Day weekend. .
Sorry to hear! You posted some new Spec E46 that looks really nice though!
Old 09-12-2017, 05:03 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

A courteous racer invites other drivers to where he wants them to go.
I like this concept and think it's good racecraft. I'm gonna go with it, thanks!
Old 09-12-2017, 09:15 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe

That was the best racing we had in NorCal for a long time, and it spawned the PRC which runs with nasa. the BMW/Porsche challenge was some great racing... such a great rivalry, with personalities and the manufacturers. . But with so many more BMWs coming out to race , they wanted some purity, so they all ran under the BMW club racing umbrella

Quick Reply: Incident at Lime Rock