Notices

GT350

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 02:25 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Guys the R is better no doubt, but don't think it's the kind of difference the 991 GT3 RS brings to the table over the GT3.

This is more like the 07 GT3 RS / GT3 differences. Same engine, same HP, same widebody chassis (GT350/R).

The R has more aero, suspension damping, wheels and tires along with no backseats and resonators removed for a slightly louder sound.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:35 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't pretend to know what differences Ford has programmed into the logic of the adaptive suspension systems of both cars, but a 3 second difference on a 2 minute track could easily be accounted for by tires alone. On a roughly 2-minute track, my own GT3 is at least 3 seconds faster on good r-comps (BFG R1) vs very good street tires (Yokohama AD08), and I've seen that level of difference in several other cars when switching from good streets to good r-comps.

If the GT350R has significantly more aero downforce than the non R, I'm surprised the lap time differences would be so small, given tire differences and suspension tweaks.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:55 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

The R has the same drive train as a tech pack car and track pack.

The main and major difference in performance deltas are the R's tires in both compound and size. Period. The rest makes for minor differences.

The real difference will still be driver input in any of these cars.

If u can't drive a slow car fast you can't drive a fast car fast regardless of it's specs.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:46 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Looks like we need a gt350 without the extreme aero but with the carbon wheel and suspension tuning
Old 06-14-2016, 08:59 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
I don't pre
tend to know what differences Ford has programmed into the logic of the adaptive suspension systems of both cars, but a 3 second difference on a 2 minute track could easily be accounted for by tires alone. On a roughly 2-minute track, my own GT3 is at least 3 seconds faster on good r-comps (BFG R1) vs very good street tires (Yokohama AD08), and I've seen that level of difference in several other cars when switching from good streets to good r-comps.

If the GT350R has significantly more aero downforce than the non R, I'm surprised the lap time differences would be so small, given tire differences and suspension tweaks.
Take away the R's 305 x 315 cups and you substantially declawed it. Anyone thinking otherwise is heavy on the Kool Aide. Switch wheels and tires with a stock LS and R and watch the LS cut faster lap times than the R.

Its simple. Put 305 x 315 cups on a Boss and see what happens.

Are there any numbers on the Rs aero vs. The Track Pack car.?

If you only want an R because it's "the one" to have as far as collectibility u have to decide if the premiums the stealerships are getting still make it worth it. If you are after fast lap times tires and wheels and aero are easy to change on a track pack car. You likely can get the Rs calibrated dampers from FRPP and still be WAY under the ADM you otherwise would have paid. Other upgraded suspension options are likey available if you are that good and need it or just want it.

Oh, Pads are easy too and make a huge difference.

Last edited by Waxer; 06-14-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:13 PM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Take away the R's 305 x 315 cups and you substantially declawed it. Anyone thinking otherwise is heavy on the Kool Aide. Switch wheels and tires with a stock LS and R and watch the LS cut faster lap times than the R.

Its simple. Put 305 x 315 cups on a Boss and see what happens.

Are there any numbers on the Rs aero vs. The Track Pack car.?

If you only want an R because it's "the one" to have as far as collectibility u have to decide if the premiums the stealerships are getting still make it worth it. If you are after fast lap times tires and wheels and aero are easy to change on a track pack car. You likely can get the Rs calibrated dampers from FRPP and still be WAY under the ADM you otherwise would have paid. Other upgraded suspension options are likey available if you are that good and need it or just want it.

Oh, Pads are easy too and make a huge difference.

I agree. I am making due with what I have because it does not make financial sense to pay a premium ADM for just a few seconds and collectible value - I would drive the crap out of it on the track and it's value may plummet anyway.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:27 PM
stuntman
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Try taking the wing off your GT3 and see how it performs. Having backed to back the TP & R, the aero stability and grip is noticeably better in the R (and thats not just tire).
Old 06-14-2016, 11:12 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stuntman
Try taking the wing off your GT3 and see how it performs. Having backed to back the TP & R, the aero stability and grip is noticeably better in the R (and thats not just tire).
No doubt big aero can make a significant improvement in medium to high speed turns. When I replaced the non-RS wing on my GT3 with the RS version, I could feel an immediate improvement in the high-speed esses on my home track, and I believe it's worth about 0.75 sec per lap (after making adjustments to alignment and splitter to work in concert with the added rear downforce).

That's why I'm surprised there would only be a 3 sec lap time difference between GT350R and non-R on a 2-min track. Wider MPSC2's should be able to net 3 sec (or close to it) over narrower MPSS, all else being equal. When you add big aero on top of the tire advantage, I would have expected to see a bigger delta. Do you know how much downforce the R makes relative to the non-R?
Old 06-15-2016, 06:41 AM
stuntman
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

What publication showed a 3 sec difference?
Old 06-15-2016, 01:04 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stuntman
What publication showed a 3 sec difference?
I haven't seen it, but post #1186 refers to a 2:00 vs 1:57 lap time differential, so that's what I was referencing.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:10 PM
Etrain
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 17' R coming and just ran across this thread! Truly awesome how much info there is, thanks everyone!
Old 06-16-2016, 10:05 AM
Etrain
Advanced

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Just got my Vin for the '17 Gt350R

Avalanche
Black stripes
Black roof
Radio delete

Darn near same specs as mine except I went with the tech package just in case I wanted to sell it down the road (i usually only keep cars 1-2 years)..

Question for everyone, do you guys think a radio delete car will be hard to sell to the general public? I'm very torn because I want to go radio delete, just don't want to handcuff myself for resale later on...

Thanks
Old 06-16-2016, 10:11 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Etrain
Darn near same specs as mine except I went with the tech package just in case I wanted to sell it down the road (i usually only keep cars 1-2 years).. Question for everyone, do you guys think a radio delete car will be hard to sell to the general public? I'm very torn because I want to go radio delete, just don't want to handcuff myself for resale later on... Thanks
Yes. Why not just pull the radio and buy the cubby after the fact. Then reinstall. Doesn't make sense to delete for resale.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:50 AM
Etrain
Advanced

Originally Posted by sgroer
Yes. Why not just pull the radio and buy the cubby after the fact. Then reinstall. Doesn't make sense to delete for resale.
Yeah that's what I was thinking, thanks
Old 06-16-2016, 10:23 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Why not get the radio and just leave it installed? At 3600 lb + driver's weight, you aren't going to notice the extra 10 or 15 lb that the radio adds.

Quick Reply: GT350