Notices

GT350

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 12:39 AM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
I see your point, however, there are distinct differences. The '03 Mach 1 was badge/sticker job. 0 parallels to the orignal Mach 1's. Your right no parallel to the original or real link except both made by ford.

Boss 302 different. Much different. A dedicated performance car developed separate and apart with dedicated performance parts and engine developed for the car not shared with any other Ford product with same displacement. Many parallels to '69 and '70. Parnelli was even involved in testing the car.

I don't agree with this, the Boss 302 is actually very similar to the Mach 1 of '03 & '04...

Mach 1 received the '00/'01 Cobra 4V DOHC motor with revived heads and intake as well as the Shaker functional hood. Mach 1 received better gearing etc.

Boss 302, received intake and suspension improvements vs. standard Mustang GT.

The Shelby GT350 is a true track dedicated machine with an engine, braking package and handling package completely unique to the platform.

All great in their own respects, during their 'time' they were/are the best you could buy. Evolution continues on... for the better of all makes/models.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 07-13-2017, 12:49 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

I had a 2012 Boss 302 new... I liked it alot. Sold it a few years ago to pave way on getting a new 2015 GT350 TP. Sold that in April this year to get a new 2017 GT350R. All 3 are fun cars but the R is the one to have, IMHO. I absolutely love it. It ticks all the right boxes... and that sound never gets old. Different strokes for different folks. And to me a nearly perfect street/track combo of cars to own would be a GT350/R and a GT3/RS.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:12 AM
911-AL
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The insecurity is strong in this thread.
No one even gave my cheap warranty post a look. LOL!
Old 07-13-2017, 01:28 AM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
Question about FPCs:

Don't all current McLarens have a FPC in the Ricardo V8 (which I understand is basically a detuned racing engine)? Is vibration less of a problem in that engine due to better design or perhaps it is simply just much smaller.
Yes, the Ricardo V-8 has a FPC. It is only 3.8L, though, relying on forced induction to make big power (along with an electric motor in the P1). It also has a very short stroke compared to the 5.2L Ford, 69.9mm compared to 93mm. Both these characteristics make it easier to solve the secondary vibration issues.

The Voodoo engine has an unconventional crankpin arrangement by flat-plane crank (FPC) standards, however. Ford's crank throws are arranged up-down-up-down (UDUD), rather than the expected up-down-down-up (UDDU) arrangement used by Ferrari (and I believe Ricardo). Ford engineers have explained that this unusual crankpin arrangement was the product of their flow testing with the Voodoo engine's single-inlet manifolding and unequal-length 4-into-3-into-1 exhaust manifolds, both of which are costsaving/packaging measures. Most intake manifolds on FPC V8s utilize twin inlet (bank-specific) intake plenums. The downside to a UDUD crankshaft, relative to UDDU cranks, is increased mass and inertia. A UDUD crank imparts a primary, end-to-end imbalance that UDDU cranks do not exhibit. To mitigate this imbalance, Ford had to seriously bulk up the Voodoo's two outboard counterweights. They're approximately double the width axially and larger circumferentially than the crank's remaining counterweights, thus giving up some of the primary advantage of a FPC while still having to deal with the secondary imbalance issues.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:34 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-AL
No one even gave my cheap warranty post a look. LOL!
Haha I noticed, that warranty program is unbeatable I agree. For basically 900 bucks you can get a 7 year/75k mile full coverage. Ford backs their track cars and TRACK USE. I've personally tested this myself with the Boss 302 MT-82 (transmission blew on the track and I told them exactly what happened and where) - no questions asked full replacement.

Small issues I encountered with the GT350 - thermostat had to be replaced, alternator had to be replaced and AC lines had a leak and replaced. My understanding is AC lines and thermostat are common...so there are some quirks with the new platform.

Many of you said in 2015 you wanted to see how the FPC would hold up.
Well nearly 2 years into ownership and over 19,000 HARD miles on this engine I can tell you it holds up. If it doesn't hold up for everyone you've got that warranty available extending for the next 9 years. You can track the hell out of it, go skyhigh to 8,250 rpm every day (like I do) - doesn't matter you're covered.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:41 AM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bossing
I had a 2012 Boss 302 new... I liked it alot. Sold it a few years ago to pave way on getting a new 2015 GT350 TP. Sold that in April this year to get a new 2017 GT350R. All 3 are fun cars but the R is the one to have, IMHO. I absolutely love it. It ticks all the right boxes... and that sound never gets old. Different strokes for different folks. And to me a nearly perfect street/track combo of cars to own would be a GT350/R and a GT3/RS.
You've got great taste man. Didn't know you had a Boss 302 - I only saw your name appear on the forums when the GT350 launched and then all of a sudden you bought every dream car around haha. Doing something right!
Old 07-13-2017, 10:20 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
I don't agree with this, the Boss 302 is actually very similar to the Mach 1 of '03 & '04...

Mach 1 received the '00/'01 Cobra 4V DOHC motor with revived heads and intake as well as the Shaker functional hood. Mach 1 received better gearing etc.

Boss 302, received intake and suspension improvements vs. standard Mustang GT.

The Shelby GT350 is a true track dedicated machine with an engine, braking package and handling package completely unique to the platform.

All great in their own respects, during their 'time' they were/are the best you could buy. Evolution continues on... for the better of all makes/models.

Best Regards,
Dave
Agree with alot of this. Was the '03 Mach 1 same displacement has their historical name counterparts?
Old 07-13-2017, 10:23 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Haha I noticed, that warranty program is unbeatable I agree. For basically 900 bucks you can get a 7 year/75k mile full coverage. Ford backs their track cars and TRACK USE. I've personally tested this myself with the Boss 302 MT-82 (transmission blew on the track and I told them exactly what happened and where) - no questions asked full replacement.

Small issues I encountered with the GT350 - thermostat had to be replaced, alternator had to be replaced and AC lines had a leak and replaced. My understanding is AC lines and thermostat are common...so there are some quirks with the new platform.

Many of you said in 2015 you wanted to see how the FPC would hold up.
Well nearly 2 years into ownership and over 19,000 HARD miles on this engine I can tell you it holds up. If it doesn't hold up for everyone you've got that warranty available extending for the next 9 years. You can track the hell out of it, go skyhigh to 8,250 rpm every day (like I do) - doesn't matter you're covered.
Not saying the GT350 fpc is not a great engine for its application. High performance street driving and occassinal track use. Great performer value.

I heard that the new GT500 will have a NA 7.0L motor. That would be epic! If it does I hope that lump finds its way to the new Raptor!
Old 07-13-2017, 11:42 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 446 Posts

Absolutely agree. I might be the only person on this forum who has owned both a Boss 302 Laguna Seca (#189) and the new Shelby GT350. I put over 22 track events on the Boss and 26,000 hard miles. The Boss 302 is a great car for the money but it's no GT350, the new Shelby is in another league.
You would be wrong. I owned a 2012 Boss and yes the motor was the best part once Ford fixed the random electrical limp mode issues, it ran at the edge of overheating in FL, would go through a set of front race pads at Sebring in a day, the clutch was a POS but an McLeod fixed that. It was fun to hoon around as the back would drift nicely. I sold mine because it wasn't reliable enough with the random limp modes. Street ride was meh and the Tokicos were garbage.

The GT350 is heads and tails a better overall car than the Boss. It doesn't bother me that the race cars run a different engine as mine is a street/track toy.

Peter
Old 07-13-2017, 03:03 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 259 Posts

Agree with alot of this. Was the '03 Mach 1 same displacement has their historical name counterparts?
Of course not but technically, the Boss "302" wasn't, either. 5.0 Liters is just over 305ci, I believe. My whole point before is that these cars will have tons of differences due to the time between when they were produced. The main thing they have in common is that Ford decided to market the car with a specific name that had some historical significance. It could be argued that the cars purpose or spirit was replicated but saying that one of these "re-makes" is more historically significant than another is completely pointless. They are new cars, marketed a certain way.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:17 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

You've got great taste man. Didn't know you had a Boss 302 - I only saw your name appear on the forums when the GT350 launched and then all of a sudden you bought every dream car around haha. Doing something right!
Yessirree... bought it Memorial Day 2012 and kept it for a couple years. That was the first new Mustang I ever bought and I immediately got hooked due to the sound, fun factor, limited production and legacy. My ex Race Red Boss 302 below when Ford invited me to display it at Barret Jackson Palm Beach in 2013... and now the current Race Red GT350-R:

Cars of different tech & levels... the GT350/R is easily much better overall, IMO. If I ever get a Boss 302 again I'd shoot for a LS version... like the rare silver one for 2012.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:10 PM
Para82
Race Car

Nice! I wanted the Boss 302 as long as it came in black and the only way to get that color was Laguna Seca, ended up finding one one a showroom floor in Georgia and they agreed to msrp (little easier than the Shelby) same dealer hooked up the GT350 built to spec in 2015.. The extra track goodies came in handy on that Boss because after I attended the complimentary Ford Racing School I was hooked.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:17 PM
Para82
Race Car

Not saying the GT350 fpc is not a great engine for its application. High performance street driving and occassinal track use. Great performer value.

I heard that the new GT500 will have a NA 7.0L motor. That would be epic! If it does I hope that lump finds its way to the new Raptor!
I would love to see a 600-700 hp NA motor from Ford and I would probably buy it. I don't really track my cars much anymore so it would be ridicolous to purchase (the GT350 seems like overkill at this point).
Old 07-13-2017, 09:32 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a 2016 gt350 white w/blue stripes, track package for 54k or a 2017 $60800 at msrp, which was dark grey metallic with black stripes.

Broke and tore my fingers over the weekend. Had to have major surgery and everything went on hold, except my .2 order.

I'm in SoCal, I think both are good deals. 1st is solf by Carmax Murietta. Second one, a brand new car, is at Penske Ford of Chula Vista. The last one I had to hassle a little. If anyone is interested, should jump in and take these. I like the 2017 at msrp, awesome color. I have the 2016 Carmax car on hold, still.

edit: 2016 has about 5k miles. 2017 is brand new.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:36 AM
Jpacione
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would love to see a 600-700 hp NA motor from Ford and I would probably buy it. I don't really track my cars much anymore so it would be ridicolous to purchase (the GT350 seems like overkill at this point).
Pm sent

Quick Reply: GT350