Notices

GT350

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 04:47 AM
stuntman
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty much already done (same pro, new tires, day, data)
Old 06-13-2016, 08:05 AM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

None of this really matters regarding R.

I now called 340 dealers (thats right) in 7 states and I found how many Rs? 1. That was going for 140k plus. Therefore I came to the conclusion that this car is unreachable. Its utter nonsense. Even if you have the money, it is so rare that its like finding needle in a haystack. Forget it. The chances of finding a GT4 or GT3RS or heck even 911R might be higher.

So none of this matters about how good the R is because none of us will be able to get one anytime soon.

And frankly, even if some miracle were to happen and I could find one for 20k ADM, I cannot get myself to pay 80-90k (with decent ADMs) for a car that looks so much like the 25k mustang which I see literally all the time. At the end of the day, a mustang is a mustang. They could make a supercar that runs with nitrogen out of a honda oddysey van, doesnt mean you'd buy one (I know its exaggaration, but you get my point). The point of this car was that it was "reachable" for average joe and that it would have similar performance as cars costing 3x more. Well, if the car is unobtainable like this, then that point is moot.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:50 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,334 Likes on 2,467 Posts

^ Who knows, Ford might make more of them. Porsche similarly kept putting out more allocations of the GT3, GT4, and RS. Almost everyone who wanted one was eventually able to get one (usually at MSRP).
Old 06-13-2016, 09:37 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
None of this really matters regarding R.

I now called 340 dealers (thats right) in 7 states and I found how many Rs? 1. That was going for 140k plus. Therefore I came to the conclusion that this car is unreachable. Its utter nonsense. Even if you have the money, it is so rare that its like finding needle in a haystack. Forget it. The chances of finding a GT4 or GT3RS or heck even 911R might be higher.

So none of this matters about how good the R is because none of us will be able to get one anytime soon.

And frankly, even if some miracle were to happen and I could find one for 20k ADM, I cannot get myself to pay 80-90k (with decent ADMs) for a car that looks so much like the 25k mustang which I see literally all the time. At the end of the day, a mustang is a mustang. They could make a supercar that runs with nitrogen out of a honda oddysey van, doesnt mean you'd buy one (I know its exaggaration, but you get my point). The point of this car was that it was "reachable" for average joe and that it would have similar performance as cars costing 3x more. Well, if the car is unobtainable like this, then that point is moot.
You've clearly never seen a GT350R driving down the street

Der-Stig how is the GT350 Track Pack market? They made twice as many - 1,305 total.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:46 AM
DerStig
Racer

Originally Posted by Para82
You've clearly never seen a GT350R driving down the street

Der-Stig how is the GT350 Track Pack market? They made twice as many - 1,305 total.
No I have seen one actually in C&C, and yes it does look great. The point I was making was at the end of the day its on the same Mustang shell, same brand, same look. I am all for how amazing it is (look at my posts on this thread to see how I was defending it against gt3). However, at the end of the day, its insane out there and I have given up after 1 month and 340 dealers. Also the general attitude and caliber of the Ford salesman or GM is another issue.

In terms of track pack, I got several dozen 1-2k ADM and around 3-4 MSRP deals out there (and I didnt even negotiate) which I passed. I did my homework and I think the R vs base difference is fairly significant.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:01 AM
Para82
Race Car

No I have seen one actually in C&C, and yes it does look great. The point I was making was at the end of the day its on the same Mustang shell, same brand, same look. I am all for how amazing it is (look at my posts on this thread to see how I was defending it against gt3). However, at the end of the day, its insane out there and I have given up after 1 month and 340 dealers. Also the general attitude and caliber of the Ford salesman or GM is another issue.

In terms of track pack, I got several dozen 1-2k ADM and around 3-4 MSRP deals out there (and I didnt even negotiate) which I passed. I did my homework and I think the R vs base difference is fairly significant.
Wheels and tires is night and day on the track no doubt about it. I'm with you on the R - not worth 140k. I personally wouldn't pay more than 65k but that's just a personal rule.

I think you are making a mistake by not snatching up the several dozen Track Pack at 2k ADM or less that you found - that price is almost unheard of unless it's a Tech pack? And if those really are Track Packs please PM me...

I can't say enough how entertaining the GT350 is to drive both track and street.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:24 AM
DerStig
Racer

Wheels and tires is night and day on the track no doubt about it. I'm with you on the R - not worth 140k. I personally wouldn't pay more than 65k but that's just a personal rule.

I think you are making a mistake by not snatching up the several dozen Track Pack at 2k ADM or less that you found - that price is almost unheard of unless it's a Tech pack? And if those really are Track Packs please PM me...

I can't say enough how entertaining the GT350 is to drive both track and street.
If you spend half an hour in google emailing Ford dealers, you'll find one. I'll go back to my list and see if I can find some of the names but the reality is after the first week of my R finding quest (which was early May), I stopped taking detailed notes of which dealer has what as the number of dealers I emailed exponantially went up (because I employed my wife to help as well haha). What I do is, I go to google and go state by state (Ford dealers in X state). Then in each state go one dealer at a time. There are hundreds/thousands of them.... The ones I found were all track. Some were unsold 16 cars and some were new 17 allocations. Its really not hard.

Regarding R vs base, yes the track pack is close but there is a substantial difference between the two. The suspension and the overall software tune is completely different. That includes timing tables, yaw rates, traction management etc. Whoever drove both say the same thing : they drive like completely different cars. I dont think a track pack can keep up with a GT3. R posted a 7:32 laptime in nordschlife, thats faster than 991 GT3 on a track where PDK saves so much time. It also has significantly more downforce. Lastly the difference in rotating mass will play a big role as well.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:27 AM
DerStig
Racer

One other thing I want to mention is most dealers are very uneducated and consider being given a track pack a bad luck because they think those cars dont sell...
Old 06-13-2016, 10:31 AM
Para82
Race Car

One other thing I want to mention is most dealers are very uneducated and consider being given a track pack a bad luck because they think those cars dont sell...
That's not been most people's experience when searching - Track Packs get sold in minutes. Anyway if you do recover the dealers contact info for Track Packs I know a handful of people who will gladly hand over money.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:42 AM
DerStig
Racer

That's not been most people's experience when searching - Track Packs get sold in minutes. Anyway if you do recover the dealers contact info for Track Packs I know a handful of people who will gladly hand over money.
Where are you located? I know CA is different story. These are PA dealers mostly and some ohio...
Old 06-13-2016, 11:13 AM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you guys are both correct. The tech packs were highly sought after at first because of the gadgets and amenities they though most customers would lust after. However, once people realized the track pack does not overheat on the track like the tech packs, the tables turned toward the TP being the one to get - even if people don't track them, they want the assurance.

I was willing to trade my GT350 for an R version, but it is a stupid idea from the business perspective. You can buy a set of wheels for around $1600 that weigh 24 pounds each (6 pounds more than the R [18] and 9 pounds less than oem [33]) and wrap them Hoosier R7. That will get you closer to the R, as well as an aftermarket rear wing and oem front splitter.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:17 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stuntman
Pretty much already done (same pro, new tires, day, data)
Link?
Old 06-13-2016, 01:32 PM
stuntman
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
Link?
It's not posted anywhere.

The only suspension differences between the TP & the R is: wheels, tires, 46lb stiffer front springs, some damper programming, a MUCH bigger splitter and rear wing. The aero difference is pretty close to the tire difference.

Edit: all those nurburgring times are bogus because Ford didn't release official lap times.

Last edited by stuntman; 06-13-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:13 PM
Para82
Race Car

The only data I have knowledge of is that the 991 GT3 can beat the GT350R in the 1/2 mile which is extremely impressive.

If I remember correctly:

GT3: 149mph

GT350R - 142-144mph
Old 06-13-2016, 02:21 PM
DerStig
Racer

Please do some searching in google regarding base vs R. R is not just a lighter wheel and tires. FP spent a lot of time, much more than they anticipated, tuning the chassis and the DME functions.

That carbon fiber wing alone costs 8-9k oem. Wheels that light that are forged will not cost $1600, they will cost 3-4 times of that. Even if you were to get all of that, you are not going to get the tune. There is a 2.5 mph trap speed difference between two cars. One does 0-60 in 0.2s less. Some of that is tires but R compounds will not give you 2-2.5mph trap speed. In my M5, that kind of difference is usually equivalen of a substantial HP tune like increasing the boost by 3 bar. I am not saying the tune in R has more HP, I am just stating a trap speed difference that much is fairly significant. I forgot which track but one had a back to back testing where the result was 1:57 and 2:00 for R and base. To top it off every reviewer and journalist said its like a completely different car.

Quick Reply: GT350