Notices

GT350

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 11:12 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

I guess the extra horsepower of the GT350 isn't enough to overcome the added weight. At least in 1/2 mile.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:52 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,888 Likes on 973 Posts

Nah. It's a traction issue.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:12 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I drove over 3,100 miles in 45 days....to buy milk.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:26 PM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nizer
Nah. It's a traction issue.
I disagree. Traction wouldn't have accounted for 7 mph of trap speed. That is significant.

I think the base gt350 is too heavy and not tuned right. I think Ford left a lot on the table. New Camaro will wipe the floor, Ford knows this and they will either make more Rs or put some of the technology to gt500.

Ford claims gt350r is faster than the gt3 around a track (I think it was their own track but regardless), but that car is a complete different animal. Not only it is lighter but it has wider tires, better suspension and aero. I saw two reviews now where the reaction of the journalists was "this is a completely different car". R also traps 3mph more than standard in 1/4 mile and that difference could easily go up to 6-7 in 1/2 mile which might be in line with Ford's claims of "faster than GT3".

Also remember GT3 has PDK. Saying a car that weighs 3650 lbs and has pretty much the same power/weight ratio of GT3 is faster with a stick says a lot.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:33 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
I disagree. Traction wouldn't have accounted for 7 mph of trap speed. That is significant.

I think the base gt350 is too heavy and not tuned right. I think Ford left a lot on the table. New Camaro will wipe the floor, Ford knows this and they will either make more Rs or put some of the technology to gt500.

Ford claims gt350r is faster than the gt3 around a track (I think it was their own track but regardless), but that car is a complete different animal. Not only it is lighter but it has wider tires, better suspension and aero. I saw two reviews now where the reaction of the journalists was "this is a completely different car". R also traps 3mph more than standard in 1/4 mile and that difference could easily go up to 6-7 in 1/2 mile which might be in line with Ford's claims of "faster than GT3".

Also remember GT3 has PDK. Saying a car that weighs 3650 lbs and has pretty much the same power/weight ratio of GT3 is faster with a stick says a lot.
The GT350R is the same chassis, engine, transmission as a Track Pack GT350. The R is louder with resonators removed and has super light carbon fiber wheels with R compounds (the tires alone are a completely different animal on the track). We all know this. Saying a Track Pack GT350 isn't tuned right? I think you need to drive it first.

And did you just compare the GT350 to a Camaro?? Ok.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:25 PM
Jooyoung99
Racer

141~142 mph is very impressive in my opinion. Nismo GTR trapped 145~147 mph. And I think I could've probably got another 1 mph higher if I had a good launch and short shifted to 5th.

The gearing sucks on a 1/2 miles because you have to shift from 4th to 5th for that extra 2 to 3 mph. If the 4th gear is a little taller, 145 mph should be very possible.

On a side note, GT3 trapping of 149 mph is incredible. Same trap speed as the 458.

Also, who cares about trap speed on this car?? I didn't buy the car to be the track day hero or anything. The sound and the feel of the car is probably one of the best produced cars in 2016.

Here are couple of pictures of my GT350 with my buddies F12 and FGT

Old 03-02-2016, 12:27 AM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I will post some video up soon (so busy) I took while driving the GT3RS and my brother is driving the GT350 Track Pack at Road Atlanta. BTW...we ran the **** out of it and it never had a hiccup. The plan was for him to pass me so I could catch some video of him toying with a Cup car and a Ferrari. The GT350 performed very well and held its own and was really limited by the tires. I am getting some slicks as soon as I return from Atlanta. Man, the brakes on the GT350 are the real deal - no fade and is very direct with good modulation.

One thing is for sure. When I drove through the Paddock in sport mode, almost every head would turn because they recognized how sweet it sounded. I had just as many people checking out the GT350 as I did the GT3RS. It is a great car and it is quite funny to hear thoughts from people in this thread that have not driven one and are very critical. I drove all three cars back to back on the same track all weekend - GT3, GT3RS, GT350.

On the hunt for a GT350R, but not at stupid ADM.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:08 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mmm951
I will post some video up soon (so busy) I took while driving the GT3RS and my brother is driving the GT350 Track Pack at Road Atlanta. BTW...we ran the **** out of it and it never had a hiccup. The plan was for him to pass me so I could catch some video of him toying with a Cup car and a Ferrari. The GT350 performed very well and held its own and was really limited by the tires. I am getting some slicks as soon as I return from Atlanta. Man, the brakes on the GT350 are the real deal - no fade and is very direct with good modulation.

One thing is for sure. When I drove through the Paddock in sport mode, almost every head would turn because they recognized how sweet it sounded. I had just as many people checking out the GT350 as I did the GT3RS. It is a great car and it is quite funny to hear thoughts from people in this thread that have not driven one and are very critical. I drove all three cars back to back on the same track all weekend - GT3, GT3RS, GT350.

On the hunt for a GT350R, but not at stupid ADM.
Sweet! I totally agree... your description of the brakes is the same as what I posted in another forum the other day. Plus, and also to me, the limiting factor are the tires... need stickier rubber!

Here's a short clip when I took out a friend at PBIR last Thurs night. I ran in Sport mode for this one... unfortunately 3 Tech GT350's were there and all 3 experienced limp mode. They were all in the Novice group... elevated trans (or maybe diff) temps triggered reduced power mode after 15mins on the track. Unbelievable... their group was crowded so freight train effect and the base/Tech cars still went into limp mode. At least for MY2017, all GT350 versions will come standard with all coolers.

Anyway, here's the short vid... and watch for the Brumos 991 RSR Cup race car blowing by us! There were onsite for tuning... and hunting down common folks.

Last edited by Bossing; 03-02-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:22 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 766 Posts

Are you guys driving the 350s before purchase or just buying?

Curious as I'm quite interested but a complete noob on American muscle cars (other than watching TV and vids) and have never driven any variant of Mustang.

I'd almost need to drive one before taking the plunge. But I suspect that is near impossible at a dealer at the moment.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:26 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
Are you guys driving the 350s before purchase or just buying?

Curious as I'm quite interested but a complete noob on American muscle cars (other than watching TV and vids) and have never driven any variant of Mustang.

I'd almost need to drive one before taking the plunge. But I suspect that is near impossible at a dealer at the moment.
You're right... slim chance a dealer will let you test drive one but at least ask to sit in it and examine it in & out. The demand is still high. If driving in one is a must (and I don't think it is) then maybe someone in your area can take you out for a quick spin... cars n coffee, local tracks etc. Can't hurt to ask. But again as I implied, you really don't need to drive one... it's that good. The sound alone should captivate you. If you can get one at sticker... no brainer. Do it.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:30 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by A911SUV
You're right... slim chance a dealer will let you test drive one but at least ask to sit in it and examine it in & out. The demand is still high. If driving in one is a must (and I don't think it is) then maybe someone in your area can take you out for a quick spin... cars n coffee, local tracks etc. Can't hurt to ask. But again as I implied, you really don't need to drive one... it's that good. The sound alone should captivate you. If you can get one at sticker... no brainer. Do it.
I like what I see and hear in the reviews. Haven't seen one running in person, winter here. I'm not 100% on the styling but enough to be interested in purchasing.

I haven't sought out a local car to try and drive or sit in.

I'd be looking at a 2017 purchase. Also have a deposit on 991.2 GT3. So it's a decision point between the two with each car having their own merits.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:29 PM
Jooyoung99
Racer

Sweet! I totally agree... your description of the brakes is the same as what I posted in another forum the other day. Plus, and also to me, the limiting factor are the tires... need stickier rubber!

Here's a short clip when I took out a friend at PBIR last Thurs night. I ran in Sport mode for this one... unfortunately 3 Tech GT350's were there and all 3 experienced limp mode. They were all in the Novice group... elevated trans (or maybe diff) temps triggered reduced power mode after 15mins on the track. Unbelievable... their group was crowded so freight train effect and the base/Tech cars still went into limp mode. At least for MY2017, all GT350 versions will come standard with all coolers.
There was a post in the mustang6g forum about non-track package cars going into limp mode. You have to get one with a track package or it's not worth it.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:41 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Are you guys driving the 350s before purchase or just buying? Curious as I'm quite interested but a complete noob on American muscle cars (other than watching TV and vids) and have never driven any variant of Mustang. I'd almost need to drive one before taking the plunge. But I suspect that is near impossible at a dealer at the moment.
I'm just in the same position as you. Never looked at a muscle car before.
I'm greeting a gt350 and one of my friends got his and I drove it around the neighborhood.

A couple of things.

1. It's huge, if you like small nimble sports cars. It's not for you

2. The seating position, even with alcantara sport seats is high. I'm 6'2 with long torso. Will likely get another seat. So compared to a Porsche gt car it feels like you are further from the road.

3. It sounds amazing!

4. Did I say it sounds amazing.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:47 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jooyoung99
There was a post in the mustang6g forum about non-track package cars going into limp mode. You have to get one with a track package or it's not worth it.
Yes that was me in that thread too... because I was with those guys at PBIR who all hit limp mode in their Tech or base cars... all 3 ran in the novice group. This past weekend at the PCA hpde in Sebring, an instructor with a blue Tech hit limp mode too. He came up to me and asked why his car was pulling power at 5k rpm after 15mins on the track... obviously I explained the issue. Bummer...
Old 03-02-2016, 02:00 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes that was me in that thread too... because I was with those guys at PBIR who all hit limp mode in their Tech or base cars... all 3 ran in the novice group. This past weekend at the PCA hpde in Sebring, an instructor with a blue Tech hit limp mode too. He came up to me and asked why his car was pulling power at 5k rpm after 15mins on the track... obviously I explained the issue. Bummer...
what does the track package include that marks the car not go into limp mode?

Quick Reply: GT350