Notices

GT350

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 12:49 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911
Fwiw similarly I drove a current model Cayman S. It didn't do anything for me. Then I drove the GT4 and was hooked. Maybe the mustang GT v GT350 is a similar experience? Also think BMW 335 v M3 I felt the same about those. Same comparison.
Exactly - I had a 2014 Cayman S PDK in my garage for 36 hours. I thought it was weak and kind of a chick car so I gave the keys to my wife after an hour driving it. She hated it too. I'm pretty sure the GT4 is nothing like that.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:53 PM
klinkman
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Para that is what I was hoping to hear....I would like to drive the 911 daily and try as best I can but for other ridiculous self imposed reasons I don't.....some of it is the image presented when I show up in a Porsche to my sales calls. Sounds crazy I know but it is a concern...... with a "Mustang" even a Gt350 most won't take a second glance..... with a 911 Turbo they all of a sudden think I am there to take all of their money...... I am in sales and unfortunately many of my clients draw conclusions if I show up in my 911 that may negatively affect their opinions towards me. Again right or wrong its the world I live in, sorry!
Old 03-28-2016, 01:00 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by klinkman
Para that is what I was hoping to hear....I would like to drive the 911 daily and try as best I can but for other ridiculous self imposed reasons I don't.....some of it is the image presented when I show up in a Porsche to my sales calls. Sounds crazy I know but it is a concern...... with a "Mustang" even a Gt350 most won't take a second glance..... with a 911 Turbo they all of a sudden think I am there to take all of their money...... I am in sales and unfortunately many of my clients draw conclusions if I show up in my 911 that may negatively affect their opinions towards me. Again right or wrong its the world I live in, sorry!
Ok wrong car for that too - and this surprised me actually - the GT350 has supercar like appeal among people even non car people on the street, I've never driven a car with so many cell phones hanging out the window filming etc. while driving. My 911 I'm under the radar (usually it seems anyway), the GT350 in person is extremely low and wide (difficult car to photograph). If you get in black it will subdue this a bit but not much. If you're trying to keep real low profile in business I would say keep the GTI as a daily if you can and have the 911/GT350 as your trophy combo.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:19 PM
klinkman
Rennlist Member

Thanks Para, wow didn't expect that! I will still take the GTI some places. My biggest worry is how the GT350 handles.....I have read every write up and watched countless videos and that is what has me looking at an american car for the first time in 25 years (last one, funny enough, was a 1990 Taurus SHO)! Without driving one and after driving the GT I am worried. That car wouldn't be in the top 25 great performance cars of 2016 in my opinion, and I am trying to get convinced that the GT350 on the same platform is universally number 1!
Old 03-28-2016, 01:24 PM
Para82
Race Car

Handles like a dream, solid, stable, no body roll. As good or better than any sports coupe in the 3,700 lb range and it puts that power down really well - entirely balanced platform.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:00 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

CA thats my dilemma! I basically told the sales guy when I got out of the GT that I didn't like it at all, honestly. The interior trim is a Ford, not a Porsche or an Audi, but I am ok with that if the driving experience of the GT350 is similar to our cars.....but not like a Mustang GT.
I'm in the same situation. Driven a mustang GT. Not good.....
Have a 2017 allocation and will go ahead and order it. Basically only because of the engine.
I travel a lot for work so don't do a lot of DD. I will trade my f150 raptor for the mustang.
Worse comes to worse I'll sell it and get another truck.
Life is short.

Love to here Para enthusiasm about the gt350. It's almost like he works the marketing team at Ford performance.
That's what it's all about. I'm the same way about my RS illness. Can't get enough.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:12 PM
klinkman
Rennlist Member

Thanks RS......I get it. I figure I can sell it if I really don't like it should I buy it but hate going through all the trials and tribulations (ADM, allocations, 2017 lists, misleading salesguys, etc.) if I don't have to. Like I mentioned, the Mustang GT drive really turned me off. Just want to be a little more comfortable that proceeding is the right decision. No better place to get opinions I can respect as this forum! We are all like minded in our love for Porsche cars and just finding a 40 odd page thread on here about a non-Porsche is pretty telling! Love hearing from the folks that actually have both as their comparisons I can completely relate to. Not after a big loud muscle car that goes fast in a straight line, but a drivers car that takes the twists and turns with a similar feeling to our P cars! The Mustang GT was not that car in my opinion, I know its completely different than our cars but want to make sure fellow Porsche lovers feel the GT350 delivers everything that has been written about it in a way we all can enjoy.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:44 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Thanks RS......I get it. I figure I can sell it if I really don't like it should I buy it but hate going through all the trials and tribulations (ADM, allocations, 2017 lists, misleading salesguys, etc.) if I don't have to. Like I mentioned, the Mustang GT drive really turned me off. Just want to be a little more comfortable that proceeding is the right decision. No better place to get opinions I can respect as this forum! We are all like minded in our love for Porsche cars and just finding a 40 odd page thread on here about a non-Porsche is pretty telling! Love hearing from the folks that actually have both as their comparisons I can completely relate to. Not after a big loud muscle car that goes fast in a straight line, but a drivers car that takes the twists and turns with a similar feeling to our P cars! The Mustang GT was not that car in my opinion, I know its completely different than our cars but want to make sure fellow Porsche lovers feel the GT350 delivers everything that has been written about it in a way we all can enjoy.
This is great place to come for info.
I've been lucky to drive a lot of different cars in a lot of different environments. What might be a good DD for you could be not so good for my location and use.
IMHO any car is ok for DD in central Florida. The roads are just so boring. Need a track to have fun.
Left the mountains in Central Europe yesterday. Those roads are just amazing. Only downside is kids are getting motion sick in the back seats.

The sound of the engine in the gt350 just makes me happy. I don't have really high expectations when it comes to total package of the car. It looks massive and heavy. Which is a good thing for me in everyday traffic. (Feeling really unsafe driving around big trucks with my 993tt.)
Old 03-28-2016, 02:58 PM
klinkman
Rennlist Member

Wow the trip to central Europe sounds awesome!!!!! Hope you enjoyed it.....I make a 3-4 trips to Florida a year and while the roads may be boring, the ability to drive our cars 12 months a year there is certainly something I daydream about when visiting..... Here in SE PA we have some awesome winding roads that are fun as hell to drive on a daily basis as long as you don't hit a pothole! I worry about the GT350 being big and heavy and not as nimble as I would like......even though on the one video review I watched the guy says "wow, this thing changes directions like a GTI".....that is what I drive now as a DD and the type of handling I want moving forward. That statement really captured my attention! Even if it is big and heavy, if it performs like that, I believe I will be happy! Thanks for everyone's comments so far...
Old 03-28-2016, 04:04 PM
Jooyoung99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Para82
Handles like a dream, solid, stable, no body roll. As good or better than any sports coupe in the 3,700 lb range and it puts that power down really well - entirely balanced platform.

Based on your description, I have to wonder if we're even talking about the same car.

I've had my GT350 with Track Package for little over a month with 2 track days. And I'm not that impressed at all. I think there is too much media filled hype around the car.

I was able to bring both my GT4 and GT350 at Button Willow on past Saturday. GT350 feels like an SUV compared to GT4. There is so much more body roll compared to GT4 (car also nose dives a lot under hard braking). Also, GT4 (in stock Cup 2 tires) is more than 4 seconds faster around the track than GT350 (in stock Super Sports tires). And my buddy feels the same way too after driving both cars.

I think with Cup 2 tires and better brake pads on GT350, I might be able to shave 3 to 4 seconds. Also, there is a noticeable brake fades after 2 to 3 laps. And the tires get very greasy quickly due to the weight of the car.

I really think all these magazine reviews of the GT350 have so much hype in them. Ford is a huge buyer of car advertisements, so I guess it's no surprise. Also, I don't understand why Motortrend tested GT350 and GT350R at a completely different track so that the lap times aren't compatible.

Anyway, I do admit that I am a life long fan of the Porsche GT cars (I don't like any of the non-GT cars). But it's because all GT3s and GT4 that I've owned delivered truly amazing driving excitement and experience. Never been disappointed in any of them. I can't say the same for the GT350.

Edit: Good thing about GT350 with track package had no limp mode & good oil temperature running lap after lap. Only thing was the brakes. I didn't bleed the brakes from a track day a week before, so there might be some bubbles in them.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:37 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jooyoung99
Based on your description, I have to wonder if we're even talking about the same car. I've had my GT350 with Track Package for little over a month with 2 track days. And I'm not that impressed at all. I think there is too much media filled hype around the car. I was able to bring both my GT4 and GT350 at Button Willow on past Saturday. GT350 feels like an SUV compared to GT4. There is so much more body roll compared to GT4 (car also nose dives a lot under hard braking). Also, GT4 (in stock Cup 2 tires) is more than 4 seconds faster around the track than GT350 (in stock Super Sports tires). And my buddy feels the same way too after driving both cars. I think with Cup 2 tires and better brake pads on GT350, I might be able to shave 3 to 4 seconds. Also, there is a noticeable brake fades after 2 to 3 laps. And the tires get very greasy quickly due to the weight of the car. I really think all these magazine reviews of the GT350 have so much hype in them. Ford is a huge buyer of car advertisements, so I guess it's no surprise. Also, I don't understand why Motortrend tested GT350 and GT350R at a completely different track so that the lap times aren't compatible. Anyway, I do admit that I am a life long fan of the Porsche GT cars (I don't like any of the non-GT cars). But it's because all GT3s and GT4 that I've owned delivered truly amazing driving excitement and experience. Never been disappointed in any of them. I can't say the same for the GT350. Edit: Good thing about GT350 with track package had no limp mode & good oil temperature running lap after lap. Only thing was the brakes. I didn't bleed the brakes from a track day a week before, so there might be some bubbles in them.
Sounds like a great DD to me. 😉😉

That's kind of more what I expected to hear about the gt350. Have had my fair share of track time in heavy cars! M5/M6. Hard to disguise the weight.
Nether the less I applause Ford for building it. Will be a fun allrounder for reasonable money.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:49 PM
Jooyoung99
Racer

It's a fun car. It's easier to control at the limit too. Car is very nimble. However, you do pay it with tires getting greasy after few laps and brakes fading quickly. I think for the GT3 crowds, it may be a bit of a disappointment (we just have higher standards). Maybe if you're coming from a non GT Porsche, you might feel differently about it.

There some small stuff that bothers me as well. I think the clutch is really really light. It's a very odd feeling. Also, the gear change feel rubbery compared to GT4. And GT4 feels soft compared to 997 GT3s.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:33 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Use The 5.0 to se if you Like The size, materials, seating position etc. you just can't make a handling assumption from that
^This.
The rest of the car is awesome, but can you get past the non moving parts...
Old 03-28-2016, 07:52 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jooyoung99
It's a fun car. It's easier to control at the limit too. Car is very nimble. However, you do pay it with tires getting greasy after few laps and brakes fading quickly. I think for the GT3 crowds, it may be a bit of a disappointment (we just have higher standards). Maybe if you're coming from a non GT Porsche, you might feel differently about it. There some small stuff that bothers me as well. I think the clutch is really really light. It's a very odd feeling. Also, the gear change feel rubbery compared to GT4. And GT4 feels soft compared to 997 GT3s.
How I felt. Coming from a gt3/4 the car felt like a disappointment quality wise. Granted, it's 60k.
I also felt like the clutch was on or off. Hard to describe. I sold mine, and didn't lose any $, while I still could...
Old 03-28-2016, 08:39 PM
Jooyoung99
Racer

Originally Posted by lumber
How I felt. Coming from a gt3/4 the car felt like a disappointment quality wise. Granted, it's 60k.
I also felt like the clutch was on or off. Hard to describe. I sold mine, and didn't lose any $, while I still could...
Did you ever track yours? You had one with Technology package right?

I'm debating if I want to sell mine. I think I can sell it for $65K in Socal.

I want to try changing the tires to Cup 2s and upgrading the brakes before I make any final decision. Edit: I can't find any aftermarket pads and steel braided brake lines. Anyone know where I can find a set of good track pads and steel braided lines?

I want to upgrade the suspension, but I can't find any aftermarket suspension upgrades yet. This makes me appreciate our adjustable suspensions for the GT3s and GT4s. Other manufacturers should learn from Porsche.

Last edited by Jooyoung99; 03-28-2016 at 08:55 PM.

Quick Reply: GT350