GT350

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 12:37 PM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
No doubt what the new GT350 is about. Its an amazing car and a step forward for the Mustang.

I expect the GT350 will get better and better as it will have to in order to compete against the new offerings coming out each year. Expect a new Z28.

Like I said, waiting to add a GT350R. Black on Black!!!
I am already thinking about upgrading to the R after I wear this one out.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:42 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Everyone has met that guy that says something and immediately you know you will never be able to talk cars with them because they just don't get it. Der Stig is that guy haha.
Originally Posted by DerStig
Thats not a fair comment. I have owned an E90 M3 and so far no V8 I have seen came close to how that car sounded. That car also revs to 8400 rpm but does not have that raspyness to it, the burble is very different.

But thats not why I said what I said. The flat plane crank argument is nothing but a marketing gimmick. By throwing FPC term out there, they are trying to imply that "exotic like" engine tone because Ferrari is known with their FPC V8s. My point was Ford still sounds like an american V8. Nothing like an exotic. Does it sound different than Boss 302? Sure it does, but it sounds nothing like cars that made people fan of FPC cars.

Didnt MT have a review of GT350 where they mentioned "it wouldnt be cost effective" unless Ford made some compromises which is why this FPC does not sound like some of the other more famous ones?
The gt350 sounds different from a Ferrari because of the firing order.. The firing order has to be different because there wasn't enough room for the 2nd intake. If you think the gt350 sounds like a boss mustang, you need to get your hearing checked...
Old 02-14-2016, 02:03 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,356 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
No doubt what the new GT350 is about. Its an amazing car and a step forward for the Mustang. I expect the GT350 will get better and better as it will have to in order to compete against the new offerings coming out each year. Expect a new Z28. Like I said, waiting to add a GT350R. Black on Black!!!
I think I'm the minority on here that i've actually driven the Boss 302 R on a track, a GT3, GT4 on a track, the GT4 clubsport, 997RS, etc and the ACR, so I can give an opinion.

The boss R sounded and felt like a nascar- very tall, that rumbly and lopey (motorboat style) idle and mid range and that Nascar grizzly bear roar at top end. My favorite part of the car was actually the way the transmission felt- the engine didn't blow me away. The shifter felt very notchy and positive- going into gear was like the 997GT3 transmission. It felt really really strong. I felt like even the race car had a lot of body roll however.

The GT4 stock sound is good but really only screams at the top end. Our clubsport GT4 has new headers and we did our own center section so it's a lot louder, more like GT3 cup now. Sounds way better than the normal GT4. The GT4 trans is very smooth but not as race car feeling as the 997GT3. The ratios on the CS are totally different- much shorter through 2-5 which allows you to be in the powerband more regularly.

The GT4 platform is the most confidence inspiring Porsche- the 996 GT3 was hyperactive, the 997GT3 was better and the .2GT3 was the best. The new GT3 and RS don't feel the same through the steering wheel or around corners- the combo of rear steering and electric servo steering makes the 991 RS feel like an R8. Very flat cornering but less communicative even on a canyon road. The GT4 has that same flatness but just a little more analog because of the lack of rear steering assist. It's very precise and can be tailored easily to suit your driving style with just sway bars and alignment.

The acr is another animal entirely. It does not sound as sexy but it has more grip than all of them put together and with so much torque it just hooks up and pulls from everywhere in the rev range. The car turns in and hits every apex but roasts the front tires unless they're set up specifically for that track. It weighs a lot less than people think- less than 3400lbs. The brakes are better on the ACR than any car I've ever driven- nothing comes close except the 675LT and the P1- the LT because it is a ~2900lb car with carpets removed and low fuel and the P1 because you have so much downforce you can brake all the way down into every apex.

That being said hearing the multimatic 350R go through the banking at Daytona, even just hearing them start up and roll by in the paddock I kept saying I HAVE TO HAVE ONE.

Referenced cars ranked sound wise:
1)350R
2)GT3 w/ exhaust (bbi, sharky, cup side bypass etc)
3) GT4 clubsport w exhaust mods
4) 675LT stock
5) P1
6) Boss 302
7) Acr
Old 02-14-2016, 02:06 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
I am not trying to be negative but why does it sound like some bolt or metal piece is loose when he revs the engine? Or more so when he revs it but lets go of the throttle? Its almost like metal on metal tin can kind of noise. Not the tone but similar behavior was also on mhy F80 M3 which was one of the reasons I couldnt stand it and sold it. Again I am not implying V8 in ford sounds like the turbo I6, but it was a similar sound behavior.

I find this kind of sound much more appealing and classy. For some reason ford sounds too raspy and there is too much tin can noise. Watch it at 2:00 and 4:00 for the best parts:

EMS Powered Exhaust - YouTube
I like the E92 BMW M3 sound quite a bit with an exhaust - very unique.

I would argue the Shelby both in appearance and sound is far more classy than any BMW. There is nothing all that exclusive about these M cars anymore. The Shelby exceeds these cars not only in performance but also pedigree, panache and class by a longshot.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:24 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

I like the E92 BMW M3 sound quite a bit with an exhaust - very unique. I would argue the Shelby both in appearance and sound is far more classy than any BMW. There is nothing all that exclusive about these M cars anymore. The Shelby exceeds these cars not only in performance but also pedigree, panache and class by a longshot.

Never thought I would agree that a mustang is more classy than a BMW M car but I absolutely agree.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:36 PM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

They are all nice cars ...
Old 02-14-2016, 08:46 PM
Para82
Race Car

Any owners here park their Shelby in a public place yet? It's pretty funny. I was eating my lunch today at a nice outdoor Florida mall with the car in my line of sight there was no less than 3 - 5 people at any given time taking video or pics with their cellphones. Some waited until I got in and started it up haha.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:03 PM
Jooyoung99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A911SUV
Sweet! Congrats!

Which color did you get?
I got white with blue stripes. I just came back from 34 hour journey to get my GT350 with track package in Jonesboro Arkansas.

Left the house at 11 pm on Friday. to go to LAX. Flew to Houston. Laid over for 2.5 hours. Flew to Memphis. Drove a rental car for two hours to get to the dealership. They wouldn't sell me the car unless I go there in person. Initially negotiated $62,500 for the car. It had MSRP of $58K. They gave me another $500 off for my efforts to get to the dealership. So $4K above sticker + $1800 transport + $2,000 for the flight, hotel and rental car to get to the dealership. So I'm essentially paying $7,800 over sticker. But I had one of the best BBQ at Memphis.

Didn't get a chance to test drive it thoroughly due to weather. But car sounds incredible!! First thing I'm going to do when the car gets to Cali is remove the resonator so that it will sound like a GT350R + Cup 2 tires.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:09 PM
Jooyoung99
Racer

Picture of authentic memphis bbq

Old 02-14-2016, 09:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 775 Posts

^^ well done, as a little adventure and made a story. What it's all about
Hopefully I'll find mine in Alaska.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:13 PM
Jooyoung99
Racer

BTW. I don't think people will be able to 2016 GT350 for MSRP. The dealer I bought my car from told me that dealers in California, Texas and Florida call them all the time to buy the car for $2K over MSRP everyday.

If the rumors of 2017 production volume doubling are true, we will see these cars sell for MSRP starting August or September this year. I couldn't wait that long.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:14 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Any owners here park their Shelby in a public place yet? It's pretty funny. I was eating my lunch today at a nice outdoor Florida mall with the car in my line of sight there was no less than 3 - 5 people at any given time taking video or pics with their cellphones. Some waited until I got in and started it up haha.
That's troublesome! I was thinking about using it as a DD. No fun with a lot of attention.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:18 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Congratulations. Great trip, Great car. Best, Allan
Old 02-14-2016, 09:49 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jooyoung99
I got white with blue stripes. I just came back from 34 hour journey to get my GT350 with track package in Jonesboro Arkansas.

Left the house at 11 pm on Friday. to go to LAX. Flew to Houston. Laid over for 2.5 hours. Flew to Memphis. Drove a rental car for two hours to get to the dealership. They wouldn't sell me the car unless I go there in person. Initially negotiated $62,500 for the car. It had MSRP of $58K. They gave me another $500 off for my efforts to get to the dealership. So $4K above sticker + $1800 transport + $2,000 for the flight, hotel and rental car to get to the dealership. So I'm essentially paying $7,800 over sticker. But I had one of the best BBQ at Memphis.

Didn't get a chance to test drive it thoroughly due to weather. But car sounds incredible!! First thing I'm going to do when the car gets to Cali is remove the resonator so that it will sound like a GT350R + Cup 2 tires.
That is very cool. I like that you picked up your Shelby GT350 in Memphis - Elvis would of approved. Weather might not of been ideal but Graceland is really worth a trip.

OT - I did a roadtrip with the wife to Memphis last year in a Boss 302 Laguna Seca. Graceland has all of Elvis' cars still there, great stuff.

Last edited by Para82; 02-15-2016 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:58 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
That's troublesome! I was thinking about using it as a DD. No fun with a lot of attention.
Just get used to being filmed/pictured - especially while cruising along. Maybe this will calm down as more cars are produced.

Quick Reply: GT350