Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 02:01 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by MXA121
Supply and Demand

GM managed to deliver over 20,000 C8s last year in the US. That's DOUBLE the number of 911s sold here.
If you can't get one, you don't want it bad enough yet.
Agree totally that the demand is strong. Seems odd that they can't make more. I'm a little rusty on the economics front but I think that the demand for a $60-80K car is going to be higher than a $120K car.

I actually had a plan before Covid - to factory order one - pick it up at Bowling Green and drive home with my son (over 5-6 days). That "romantic idea" went out the window and if i wanted to do that - it would be a year out.

I see some dealers asking 20-40K over sticker. $120-$130K for a $90K sticker car. At that price - I'd much rather have a 911.

Old 01-13-2021, 02:15 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,878 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Why is it so hard to get these cars? GM and Ford are making some interesting cars, you just cant buy them e.g. the Corvette, the Mach-e. I can get a 911 or a Tesla easily.
For the Corvette at least, a bit of a perfect storm...
  1. Huge anticipation and interest from both Corvette lovers and buyers lured from outside the Corvette universe for an (comparatively) low-price, mid-engined, high-performance sports car.
  2. 40 day GM strike just as production was starting,
  3. GM Covid plant shutdowns and supply chain backlogs...

Another 9-12 months at least of very difficult to get if you want one close to MSRP or to order to your specs.

And just how easy is it to get an allocation for a 992 GT3?

Last edited by pfbz; 01-13-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:24 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
For the Corvette at least, a bit of a perfect storm...
  1. Huge anticipation and interest from both Corvette lovers and buyers lured from outside the Corvette universe for an (comparatively) low-price, mid-engined, high-performance sports car.
  2. 40 day GM strike just as production was starting,
  3. GM Covid plant shutdowns and supply chain backlogs...

Another 9-12 months at least of very difficult to get if you want one close to MSRP or to order to your specs.

And just how easy is it to get an allocation for a 992 GT3?
Thanks - that's helpful. And I hear you on the GT3 front. Although they only make what 3000-4000 GT3's for a total run for US.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:29 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

I just ordered a 2021 C8 2LT Convertible in silver flare and will pay MSRP. Like the one on the right but with black interior. I was told I would have it by May, June at the latest. I'm chomping at the bit.

The following 2 users liked this post by SpyderSenseOC:
rodsky (01-13-2021), thebishman (01-14-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 02:38 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I just ordered a 2021 C8 2LT Convertible in silver flare and will pay MSRP. Like the one on the right but with black interior. I was told I would have it by May, June at the latest. I'm chomping at the bit.
Congrat's... when I thought mine would come through as a 2020, I was going for Blade Silver. When Blade Silver was replaced with Silver Flare for 2021, I wasn't sure if it was what I wanted and switched to Elkhart Lake Blue... It seems that Silver Flare in person looks quite a bit different than the photoshop in the image above. Much less chrome looking...

Here's one of the first off the line. Still hard for me to tell if i like/love it without seeing it in person.

Old 01-13-2021, 02:57 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

Congrat's... when I thought mine would come through as a 2020, I was going for Blade Silver. When Blade Silver was replaced with Silver Flare for 2021, I wasn't sure if it was what I wanted and switched to Elkhart Lake Blue... It seems that Silver Flare in person looks quite a bit different than the photoshop in the image above. Much less chrome looking...

Here's one of the first off the line. Still hard for me to tell if i like/love it without seeing it in person.

https://youtu.be/PUhJ0lDpias?t=106
Yeah, that pic was enhanced for sure. But I'm not doing any blues or reds, and I've had umpteen white cars, so I needed some alternative. My buddy at the dealer told me that the ceramic matrix I thought I wanted was the worst of them all that he'd seen and that did influence me. Silver/black is a can't miss combo to me and I'm hoping the real color is somewhere between the chromy one in my pic and the monotone enamel in yours. Whatever. It's a car. I'll mess around with it for a year or two and dump it, just like every other car I've owned. None are keepers.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:10 AM
PTSGT3
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 61 Posts

Before, I would've sworn the Z06 would be TT, as I'm not sure how a 5.5L NA FPC won't blow itself to pieces. That being said, I'm officially convinced it'll be NA. A certain pro driver said that a C8R driver told him the car would basically be the race car sans stickers. Johnny Lieberman just put this out today. The projected power figures are actually realistic for the engine too, unlike all past figures. 615 HP. 480 TQ. 9000 RPM. A modern 458.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022...ay-rumors/amp/

Last edited by PTSGT3; 02-09-2021 at 01:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MXA121 (02-09-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 01:25 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,034 Likes on 5,242 Posts

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...1-eray-rumors/
Old 02-10-2021, 03:54 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Is the 5.5 an oversquare engine like the 6.35L LS7 block in my 968?
My lower block can turn ~8400 rpm give or take.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:09 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Just a few weeks ago, I finally encountered a red C8 on the road for the first time . Damn that took a long time!

But Man-o-man..
The exhaust note was absolute crap. Here's to hoping that gets fixed by the aftermarket (Fabspeed, whomever).
There's a whole army of Mustang GT's/Shelby GT350's/Shelby GT500's and Challengers/Chargers/Hellcats/Demons that sound far superior.
It just sounds weird. Not right at all.

And the view of the car from the rear quarter panel is hideous.
I've heard of more than a few C8 owners dumping the car already just because of the way it looks from the back end.
Especially when the self admiring glance over the shoulder when walking away from the car in the parking lot, leaves a nagging WTF stewing in the back of their brains.

The new Lambo's have smoothed out their body lines ever so slightly, making the Gen1 C8 already look kind of dated. All those jagged angles are SO yesterday.
The poor C8 is like an awkward high school girl that desperately wants to hang with the cool hot chicks ..but just can't keep up.

I am pleased that there hasn't been any bad news about the Tremec DCT transmission. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Oh well...
Old 02-20-2021, 01:02 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
I finally encountered a red C8...
crap.... weird... Not right... hideous.... owners dumping the car... WTF ... dated... yesterday.... awkward... can't keep up... oh well.
LOL, clearly you are not a fan!

To each his own, but I think you are missing the point of why so many Porsche guys also have picked up a C8.

But to retort more specifically,

exhaust note was absolute crap
Perhaps the C8 didn't have the optional performance exhaust (standard on Z51).Like every modern (non GT) Porsche, is overly muted as delivered from the factory but still has a nice growl. Not a euro, overhead cam high revving exhaust note, but a decent V8 rumble. And yes, at least a dozen companies already are offering combos of headers, sport cats, and cat backs. Compared to a 4-pot 718 exhaust note? It's freaking glorious!

view of the car from the rear quarter panel is hideous.
While the rear styling of the C8 may not be it's strong point, I think 'hideous' is a bit of a stretch... Colors make a big difference, and I also think the Hard Top Convertible (HTC, Spyder) improves the rear view quite a bit

Perhaps the biggest styling error is that in a twisted 'form follow function' execution, and since the C8 had a design parameter of carrying golf bags, the rear of the car stretched out for an extra trunk. I couldn't give a crap about carrying golf bags and would prefer a shorter rear end.

Here's my hideosity:

I've heard of more than a few C8 owners dumping the car already just because of the way it looks from the back end.
Not so much... Several have sold their C8's because they are still fetching big premiums over sticker, and while I think it's an awesome $75K car, I'd be happy to move on for a $25K premium. No, it won't last. GM will start stamping them out like skittles. But right now, if you want to pay sticker, you are looking at a realistic 10-12 month wait.

I am pleased that there hasn't been any bad news about the Tremec DCT transmission. .
The DCT is one of the real highlights of the C8. It is superb and an absolute joy to use in either full manual or auto-shift mode. IMHO, easily the equal of the PDK in my 991 Turbo S, which is pretty freaking awesome and really the benchmark of dual clutch transmissions.

Why did I buy it?
Remember this is a $60K base price car. Mid engine, aluminum backbone chassis, 495 HP, 0-60 in ~2.8 and impressive lap times on most tracks. Throw on the $6K Z51 performance pack and your getting adjustable coil overs, big brembo's, a super sophisticated eLSD, extra engine and brake cooling, aerokit, etc. It is Chevy's interpretation of a Ferrari 430 or 458, for base Cayman money.
  • Would I rank it above my 991 Turbo S? Hell No.
  • Would I rank it above my heavily sorted 996 Turbo? Again, hell no. I love the analog aspect of that car.
  • Would I rank it above my (sold) 987 Cayman S? Hell yes!
  • And while likely sacrilege, I'd rank it above above a 997.2 base PDK as well. And above a 718 base PDK for sure. Maybe on par with a 997.2 PDK S.
Now how I "rank" and enjoy my cars, and what I'm looking for no doubt differs than others... Hell, I can't even agree with many 996 Turbo owners as to how to best set up that car for enjoyment, but the C8 largely accomplishes what I'm looking for in a sports car. To put a big smile on my face while ripping up canyons on a sunny day....

Last edited by pfbz; 02-20-2021 at 01:42 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by pfbz:
basil2000 (02-21-2021), Big Swole (02-20-2021), CaymanCarver (02-21-2021), MXA121 (08-28-2021), Quikag (02-21-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 11:04 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Here's my hideosity:
C'mon man, you shouldn't do this to yourself in public. Eeegads cover that thing up!
It's like a severe case of SportsCar-Priapism (trademark!)

The Eighties called and they want their randomized jagged lines and angles back. The only thing missing is the fluorescent pink and green accents.

Apologies in advance, I'm just having fun.

It just looks like they tried to copy the Lambo body design but over-did-it and missed the mark ..SEVERELY missed the mark.
Trying to follow the body lines on the car hurts my eyes and makes me go crossed eyed. Exactly which way are my eyes supposed to go?
For whatever reason, my eye's end up resting on the rear quarter panel above the wheel ..about 8 inches behind the gas cap (?).
That's what's festering in the brains of C8 owners ..and it seems to start in the parking lot.

The lines on a sports car should draw the eye from one beautiful design feature to the next. It should flow.
The C8 does not flow. It's all mixed up with lines pointing in different directions. Some of the lines point in 3 different directions at once.
WTF were they thinking...(not actually a ?).

Oh well. Here's to hoping these problems get fixed in Gen2.

Old 02-21-2021, 12:01 PM
Booth9999
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 114 Posts

Since I live close to Palm Springs I’ve seen a lot of them in the wild and just they just don’t seem to be aging well and look dated already. Over sized rear ended makes her look fat, the interior is just way too manny buttons and passenger side it very uncomfortable. They already just look like another corvette and just doesn’t seem that special. Only old guys driving them around here, kinda the swan song retirement car for the average joe. Chevy is way behind in just about every segment they are in, shoot they haven’t been relevant in any capacity for years, no Ford Raptor competition? Just a bunch of old white dudes who watch nascar and used to have mullets are designing vehicles over there. Seriously what does Chevy do well besides a LS motor that goes into other cars? No much of a performance devision to speak of....
Old 02-21-2021, 12:57 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

I have to admit my disappointment when watching the C8 unveiling and now seeing a few in the wild. I have tried to like them, but I just can't seem to make the leap.
The C7 is so much better and especially in GS and Z06 form. Still kinda miss my Torch GS...
If they were going to be rarer like a McLaren or something, maybe it would be different. But when we start seeing these literally everywhere, there will be absolutely nothing special about them, it will cheapen the overall "design" even more and make them age even faster.
I also don't think any vents or scoops should be a part of a door. Just seems awkward and poorly planned. Just my opinions, which aren't worth much. 😕
​​​​​​
Old 02-21-2021, 01:08 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,716 Likes on 4,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Booth9999
... no Ford Raptor competition? .
Depends on how you're looking at Raptor competition. Ifor how I use a pickup, I'd much rather have an 800 HP Yanko Silverado than a RAPTOR, as I prefer a truck with a low center of gravity that handles better on the street, than a tall one with off-road suspension that doesn't fit under the lift in the garage.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?